What to do when others use God's name in vain?

• Thread starter Thread starter Mel022
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mel022

Hello,
First, I would like to point out that I might be scrupulous.

I live in a big city where atheism is very present, especially at my school (I graduated from high school, but I’m not in university yet. It’s like a community college) I think that the majority of students are atheists

Almost everyone uses God’s name in vain. I posted a small text on social media that some of my friends can see where I remind them that using God’s name in vain is very disrespectful (I really did not mean to sound judgmental, and I don’t know if they are all aware that it’s not okay)

However, I have a problem when others who aren’t my friends do it. I think that it happens very often. What do I do in these cases? What about when a teacher does it? (Correcting a teacher is too uncomfortable…)

I’m just very confused, I don’t want to be committing a mortal sin by not telling them. And I can’t know for sure if there will be a positive effect or not, and I don’t even know when the people in question are atheists or not.

Could anyone help me with this? When am I obliged to correct them? I’ve read a little about it, but I’m not certain yet…

Thank you

Last edited:
I know Archbishop Fulton Sheen told people tp do a part of the Litany of the most Holy Name of Jesus to ask for forgiveness for whoever did it.

As a non Christian, I have my moments doing this, too. It’s a habit…and a bad one…but I’m not sure there is a once and done cure for it. Many times the person doesn’t even realize they’ve said it nor do they realize they’ve offended anyone.

Having said that, to your friends, I would say something. Ask…not demand…that they try to not say that in your presence. Simply tell them, “I know you don’t mean to offend me but it does. If you could try to not say it, I’d really appreciate it”. If they are your friends, they should be willing to try. Don’t be too hard on them if they slip…you could even jokingly say…uh huh…your not trying! Remember, it’s a habit of speech! It takes time to unlearn it! It took me quite a while but I had a patient Christian friend who never got upset with me! She just wagged her finger and smiled when I slipped!

Strangers, just send up a prayer. They don’t know you so they don’t really owe you any courtesy. They aren’t even aware that they’re being rude. Become their friends and it could change!

Everyone that has these habits of speech, learned them from parents and friends. It takes time, patience and a sense of humor to unlearn these habits. You can do this!

Whenever I hear someone disrespect Him that I am not in a close relationship with (when it would be a bit odd to correct them) I say quietly to God “Blessed be Your Holy Name, Lord.” As a small act of reparation to the Name and Heart of Jesus.

To your friends, @Pattylt ‘s advice is great, gently & patiently correct them

I would, if the usage is particularly offensive, correct the person who said it. However, attempting to teach someone not to use the Lord’s name in vain could lead to their essentially ignoring you, scoffing at you, and dismissing you as “that strict Catholic”.

I think a smart move would be to tell whomever chooses to use the Lord’s name in vain that you do not appreciate it and ask them if, out of respect for you and your beliefs, they would refrain from using such language around you. Unfortunately, the most important things in this world are not Christ, or the morals of Catholicism: instead, secularists hold tolerance and acceptance as the highest goods. People will be more likely to understand if you approach them with words they are familiar with, expressions like “please respect my beliefs and accept my boundaries.”

You are certainly not committing a moral sin by withholding from correcting your teachers. You should pray for them and understand that what they are doing, especially as supposed role models for the students, is wrong, but it is not your place to correct them (at least until you graduate). God is not holding anything against you for knowing your place.

I will pray for you and for those around you! Keep your sense of humor and hold your head up - it’s tough (and impressive) retaining Christian values in a climate that doesn’t support them.

I once wore a Crucifix on the outside of my shirt to get my point across to someone, it worked as he then stopped, his whole attitude changed as a matter of fact.

You can say in that moment silent prayer for reparation:
Blessed be God and His holy name!

And speak to your priest in matter of scrupulousity, internet wont help you much.

Last edited:
Theres a prayer I learnt from a saint (I forget which) to pray in these times ‘Admirable is the name of God’. Very short and easy to remember. Jesus asked this saint to pray it every time. I do that, always.

As for correcting them, remember St Paul’s words in Galatians 6 'in the spirit of gentleness ’ and to take care that you yourself aren’t tempted. In fact that whole passage is worth keeping to hand when ‘correcting’ others faults as is the sermon on the mount. We must be careful we aren’t trying to take out the splinter in our brothers eye with a plank still in ours. Not saying you are taking the Lord’s name in vain but if you in any way harsh with someone then it can be difficult to correct especially on a public platform like Facebook. I’d leave that off if I were you and atvleast speak privately with them if you feel the need to… Jesus said to take your brother aside if you had a quarrel with him. Remember to remain humble, it is often better to let people go and pray from them. We cant fix everything, God can. Always bring what you want to say or write to God first in prayer. Check it with scripture and ask if its Gods will. Does it build your neighbour up in love or tear him/her down? Ask God to assist you in all things. God bless.

Don’t say anything to them. Just bow your head at the Holy Name.

What if the person in question isn’t a friend, but an acquaintance. Am I obligated to correct them? It seems a bit awkward to do, especially if I don’t know if the person is Catholic or practicing at all.

It’s hard if you don’t know their faith…if they are Christian it would be the merciful and gracious thing to do to correct them, and to lead them closer to God and lead them away from displeasing Him and sinning. If they are not Christian, they may not value keeping His Name sacred in their mouth…but you could always use the opportunity to share your faith 😃 …and also for their sake, help them stop a habit displeasing to the Lord! The best thing to do may be to ask, “Hey, you might not know this, but it makes me sad to hear the name of my Lord used so often without intention and reverence, is there any way you could refrain from saying that around me?” And see what they say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back