T
TK421
Guest
I don’t know how much historical data there is to go off of this, but what do you suppose Arius’s (and those like him that came after him) motivations were for claiming that Jesus was not divine?
To compare: when I see people disagree with the Church about something like abortion or divorce, it’s clear to me what their motivations might be. These are subjects that are directly related to our passions. Prohibiting such things has a very immediate effect on what our responsibilities and lifestyles are to be like. But, let’s say, for a person that denies the divinity of Christ, and yet otherwise holds all of the ‘moral theology’ aspects of the Catholic Church: what would drive them to do such a thing? Does the idea of God being incarnate as man offend them somehow? Do they find it beneath Him?
I suppose inequity can be a great mystery, but I’m wondering how much material we have that explains what drove men to pursue these heresies. Do we know what their personal criticisms were from a first hand account?
To compare: when I see people disagree with the Church about something like abortion or divorce, it’s clear to me what their motivations might be. These are subjects that are directly related to our passions. Prohibiting such things has a very immediate effect on what our responsibilities and lifestyles are to be like. But, let’s say, for a person that denies the divinity of Christ, and yet otherwise holds all of the ‘moral theology’ aspects of the Catholic Church: what would drive them to do such a thing? Does the idea of God being incarnate as man offend them somehow? Do they find it beneath Him?
I suppose inequity can be a great mystery, but I’m wondering how much material we have that explains what drove men to pursue these heresies. Do we know what their personal criticisms were from a first hand account?