What will He save you from?

• Thread starter Thread starter on_a_journey
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
O

on_a_journey

When contemplating Advent–the coming of the Savior–I’ve had these questions rolling around in my mind.

What will He save me from? What will I allow Him to save me from? What do I think I need to be saved from?..and the tough one…Do I truly want to be saved?

Any thoughts?

on a journey:
When contemplating Advent–the coming of the Savior–I’ve had these questions rolling around in my mind.

What will He save me from? What will I allow Him to save me from? What do I think I need to be saved from?..and the tough one…Do I truly want to be saved?

Any thoughts?
What will he save me from? SIN
What will I allow him to save me from? SIN
What do I think I need to be saved from? SIN

Do I truly want to be saved? Do you think you might want to spend eternity in Hell?

What IS the sin. Generalities leave us in shallow water. Go deeper. Contemplate what sin it is we are holding onto. What sin in our lives do we not recognize.

If we truly want to be saved, then are we willing to give up the sin and BE saved?

What IS the sin. Generalities leave us in shallow water. Go deeper

THE DEFINITION OF SIN

CCC1849 Sin is an offense against reason, truth, and right conscience; it is failure in genuine love for God and neighbor caused by a perverse attachment to certain goods. It wounds the nature of man and injures human solidarity. It has been defined as "an utterance, a deed, or a desire contrary to the eternal law."121

CCC1850 Sin is an offense against God: "Against you, you alone, have I sinned, and done that which is evil in your sight."122 Sin sets itself against God’s love for us and turns our hearts away from it. Like the first sin, it is disobedience, a revolt against God through the will to become "like gods,"123 knowing and determining good and evil. Sin is thus "love of oneself even to contempt of God."124 In this proud self- exaltation, sin is diametrically opposed to the obedience of Jesus, which achieves our salvation.125

CCC1851 It is precisely in the Passion, when the mercy of Christ is about to vanquish it, that sin most clearly manifests its violence and its many forms: unbelief, murderous hatred, shunning and mockery by the leaders and the people, Pilate’s cowardice and the cruelty of the soldiers, Judas’ betrayal - so bitter to Jesus, Peter’s denial and the disciples’ flight. However, at the very hour of darkness, the hour of the prince of this world,126 the sacrifice of Christ secretly becomes the source from which the forgiveness of our sins will pour forth inexhaustibly.

Contemplate what sin it is we are holding onto. What sin in our lives do we not recognize.

I can only speak for myself, but I’m sure its the same with millions of Catholics, I am not in a state of mortal sin so I’m not holding on to anything. That’s what the Sacrament of reconciliation is for. Repenting, confessing and sinning no more.
If you don’t recognise a sin then it is not a sin, well at least not a mortal sin.

If we truly want to be saved, then are we willing to give up the sin and BE saved

Isn’t that what Christ teaches us and shouldn’t it be the aim of every Catholic?

on a journey:

Any thoughts?
He Save’s me from myself. Without God in my life I’m a human wrecking ball.

human wrecking ball—good image! Yes, He will save me from myself.

thistle, thanks for the CCC references. Just looking for dialogue on how to go deeper in meditation this advent. Not trying to be flip but yes, He saves us from sin and yes, being saved is what we’re trying to do. But when we become enslaved in our sin we don’t see it sometimes. We then “love” our sin, our enslaver and it becomes hard to give it up. We become blind to the fact that we are holding on to a sin and not letting Jesus save us from it.

Hell is no where I want to go…I want to live in HIM for eternity. I guess I’m contemplating the depth to which I must let HIM in.

So in this advent, I am contemplating how He can/will/does save me if I am willing to be saved—if I am willing to truly give up my sin.

thanks for responding.

On A Journey:

Christ saves us from our solitude. Each and every one suffer from a solitude-loneliness in many levels (physical, spiritual, mental, social). He allows for communion, unity, symphony, and harmony without sacrificing the uniqueness of each individual. He is the answer to the question of solitude.

in XT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back