What would happen in this remarriage case?

• Thread starter Thread starter q54332
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Q

q54332

One of my parents was married (in the Catholic church) and then they divorced after a few years, then that parent meant the other one (which had not been married) and they got married but only legally married. Are my parents going to hell? What happens in this case. The answers don’t need to be super in-depth and personal.

Are my parents going to hell?
We don’t know that and can’t know that.
What happens in this case
It doesn’t sound like the couple is currently in a valid marriage, but there aren’t many details and so we can’t make such an assessment on a random Internet forum.

The couple should make an appointment with their pastor to discuss their situation and a remedy.

So it’s not black or white in the sense that since one is remarried and the other just not married at all in the eyes of God that they go to hell?

So it’s not black or white in the sense that since one is remarried and the other just not married at all in the eyes of God
A marriage either is or isn’t. It isn’t, for either of them.
So it’s not black or white… that they go to hell?
No one knows WHO goes to hell. So, I don’t get what your fixation on it is.

We don’t know who goes to hell or who doesn’t because there are many aspects to the state of someone’s soul. Those who go to hell die in a state of mortal sin. We don’t know who is in such a state and who isn’t. And, moreover, confession is always available, and we cannot predict who will and who won’t be in a state of grace at some future date of their death. A lot can happen while still living.

Mortal sin requires grave matter, full knowledge, and free will. We don’t know if those things were present or are present for the individuals in this scenario. We don’t know what they’ve done or not done since that time-- such as work with their pastor, go to confession and undertake continence, pursue a decree of nullity and convalidation, etc.

It isn’t your business. It’s their business.

We don’t go around pronouncing people are going to hell. If we are asked about a situation, we provide charitable guidance and suggestions-- such as “mom and dad, perhaps you ought to make an appointment with Fr. X about having your marriage convalidated”. Not “mom and dad, you are going to hell.”

Well I gave a clear image on it, they are in mortal sin because if you are remarried you can’t go to confession thus you can’t get your mortal sins forgiven but I wasn’t sure if there is some type of caveat with marriage. And they are my parents so it is kinda my business because I care for my parents and especially their souls. I’m trying to gather more info on this issue to present to them on possible options before they talk to a priest.

I agree that proclaiming someone is going to hell is not cool. Being concerned for their soul is good, but will look quite different than determining their final judgment by God.

What have they told you about it? Are they aware the divorce is not recognized by the Church? Do they participate in Mass?

I’m trying to gather more info on this issue to present to them on possible options before they talk to a priest.
Well, talking to their pastor should be a priority.

But you should tread lightly here. There may be a whole mess of circumstances that got them to where they are, and that takes careful entangling. Be patient and focus on simple encouragement to ask the pastor about their situation.

The divorced marriage will have to be investigated. But that parent must be willing to seek that. If they are receiving Eucharist without reconciling the situation, you can raise attention to your pastor.

Correct. Any sinner, even I, can go to confession, repent and be back to friendship with God.

There are pastoral solutions to irregular marriages, this is why meeting with pastor is vital.

They are aware that the divorce isn’t recognized by the church, and my mother does participate in mass and my father not so much but I can’t consider it mortal sin (personally, I don’t know about God) because my dad has some mental issues and I’m sure those issues are clouding his judgment on his decision.

My parents asked a priest when they first got married if they could go to confession and they were told they could not do it because when you go to confession you have to have the will of not committing that sin again but if you are remarried or married outside the church you don’t really plan on stopping commiting the sin of adultery which is the biggest issue with remarriage. If this is wrong I would be happy to know and I will tell my parents the correct answer.

Last edited:
when you go to confession you have to have the will of not committing that sin again
That’s true. But that doesn’t mean that they can’t go, just that they actually have to repent and intend not to sin again to receive absolution. Different things. The main thing is that none of us, including you, know all the details of the situation. It is imperative that they go to their priest and discuss options if they want to regularize their situation. No one can do that for them, nor can anyone force them to do so.
I will tell my parents the correct answer
Not your place, and you are not in a position to know it or learn it. They must talk to their priest to get the correct information.
my dad has some mental issues and I’m sure those issues are clouding his judgment
You may hope it, you may believe it, but only God can know it.

On that last point I agree that is why I put in the parentheses after I said that 🙂

I believe their priest was being accurate. Although technically they can go to Confession, but they cannot receive absolution without refraining from sex with an invalid spouse.

I pray for their salvation every night 🙂 I hope it’s doing something.

Trust in the mercy of God. We have no idea what will happen after death. If you want opinion, that marriage in and of itself would not cause one to “go to hell”.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back