What you would have told yourself back then

  • Thread starter Thread starter Waacm
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just wish I could hug you! I remember feeling so many of the same feelings as a teenager. You’re in my prayers.
 
A few months ago I realized just how much I don’t love my parents. In fact, they were gone from the house a little longer than usual, and the first thought that crossed my mind was “what if they’re dead in a ditch somewhere?” and my reaction to that thought was “My life would get better drastically.” I thought that because I’d inherit insurance money, 2 cars (one of which I’d sell and the other I would have all to myself) and my sister and I are old enough that she’d get emancipated and we’d share rent in an apartment. I’ve always wanted to live in an apartment. To me, quality of life increases as the quality of material possessions decreases.
You say you’ve just recently become Catholic. Your parents and your relatives, (sibblings, cousins, etc) are God’s choices for you. Your parents are the people God chose to briing you into this world. You are not an accident, God knitted you in your mother’s womb.

They did not abort you or contracept you. You are here and with God’s grace and infinite mercy will live on forever with Him.

Think about that .

Then maybe bring that to prayer. Maybe tell God that you hate His choices for you and He stuffed up in a major way by giving you parents like them. Then wait and listen to what God has to say about your complaints.

Then ask for the grace of Humility and and to learn to stop adoring at the temple of the unholy trinity of me, myself and I.
 
To the original poster…

A wise person once said “Living well is the best revenge.” If you really hate your parents, instead of letting that consume you, work to become the best possible person YOU can be. If you will work on yourself, and face your flaws and shortcomings honestly (everyone has flaws - even you, even me), you will find less time and less need for the hate. Many times what we critize most in others is what we are least able to face within ourselves. This I know from experience. Take care.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top