Whatever happened to Indulgences?

• Thread starter Thread starter Fidelis
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Fidelis

(Note: This isn’t an apologetics thread, so if you want to discuss the theology or history of this, please start a thread in the “Apologetics” forum. Thanks!)

I’ve been listening to an excellent 6 CD series by Scott Hahn about indulgences called “Indulge Yourself.” In the course of listening, I am struck what a wonderful provision of God’s mercy that indulgences in fact are.

My question is: why don’t we hear more about indulgences in Church teaching, either preaching or catechesis? When special indulgences were offered during the Jubilee or other special years, did most people take advantage of them or even understand what it meant?

Scott talked about how indulgences are closely tied into the overall concept of salvation. Could the (apparent) down-grading of indulgences be because of the overall loss of the sense of sin? Any other ideas?

40.png
Fidelis:
My question is: why don’t we hear more about indulgences in Church teaching, either preaching or catechesis? When special indulgences were offered during the Jubilee or other special years, did most people take advantage of them or even understand what it meant?
Here are a some that you can still obtain for a couple of weeks: Decree on Indulgences during the “Year of the Eucharist”

Indulgences are still commonplace in the faith, but its a concept very difficult for some people to grasp, so rather then scandalizing people with an emotionally charged word, priests tend to settle for “Pray and live a life according to Christ to live in the grace of the church to enter heaven.” Same thing.

Josh

While indulgences are still very much a part of the Catholic faith, since the times of the reformation they have been given quite the bad name outside of the Catholic circle.

The Truth is, one does not need to act during times of indulgences in order to receive the grace needed to go to heaven. While the practice of awarding indulgences can be one of zeal and revival in a person’s life with Christ, it is not necessary for all to partake in a practice they don’t understand.

Instead they partake in it unknowingly by living their lives out for Christ, asking for every breath they take to be a prayer to God.

When it comes down to it, like threej_lc said, “indulgence” is an emotionally charged word hard for some people to buy. Live your life for Christ and you will receive your reward.

Pax Christi

Fidelis said:
*My question is: why don’t we hear more about indulgences in Church teaching, either preaching or catechesis? When special indulgences were offered during the Jubilee or other special years, did most people take advantage of them or even understand what it meant?

Scott talked about how indulgences are closely tied into the overall concept of salvation. Could the (apparent) down-grading of indulgences be because of the overall loss of the sense of sin? Any other ideas?*

I think the reason that we don’t hear more about them is they have a bad reputation going back to the reformation. Additionally, they are a hard concept to understand. However, I know that I rec’d one when I made my pilgrimage to Cologne, Germany for World Youth Day. While not understanding fully their effect, my faith gives me confidence that I am enjoying the fruits of the Graces I rec’d yet today and will continue to recieve them as long I continue to live a good Christian life.

I rather suspected it, but I it’s becoming pretty apparent that not enough Catholics are sufficiently clear on the concept of indulgences to discuss the spiritual benefits. I think I’ll start another thread on this topic in the apologetics forum. Thanks to all who answered.

I have a clarification for some of the statements on this thread. People appear to possibly think that you can get indulgences entirely unknowingly, having no clue the whole time. This is not so! You must have a specific or general intention to gain them.

They are still alive and kicking! (a fav topic of mine)

40.png
Pug:
I have a clarification for some of the statements on this thread. People appear to possibly think that you can get indulgences entirely unknowingly, having no clue the whole time. This is not so! You must have a specific or general intention to gain them.
Exactly, and that is my point. To that end, I’ve started another thread on this in the Apologetics forum.

Fidelis said:
Exactly, and that is my point. To that end, I’ve started another thread on this in the Apologetics forum.

For the reference of the others on this thread, here is the other thread.

TheEnchiridionOf****Indulgences

Here’s all the indulgences available (besides the special ones like the one for WYD and the one JPII issued for the year of the Eucharist).

I had a priest explain them one day at daily Mass which was cool. They are definitely not preached enough. I think people are still scrupulous from that mess 500 years ago 😉

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back