What's the "glory be" prayer

• Thread starter Thread starter carol_marie
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

carol_marie

Still working on trying to say this rosary… I’m using a book & it just says to say the “glory be” prayer - (before the Our Father) but it doesn’t say what the “glory be” prayer is?

Thanks for you help, CM

Glory Be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.
As it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.

carol marie:
Still working on trying to say this rosary… I’m using a book & it just says to say the “glory be” prayer - (before the Our Father) but it doesn’t say what the “glory be” prayer is?

Thanks for you help, CM
“Glory be to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit. As it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be. World without end. Amen”

Or you can say, “Gloria patri, et filii, et Spiritui Sancti, sicut erat in principio, et nunc, et semper, et in saecula saeculorum.”

Tantum ergo:
Or you can say, “Gloria patri, et filii, et Spiritui Sancti, sicut erat in principio, et nunc, et semper, et in saecula saeculorum.”
Tantum ergo, thank you for this… can you spell some of that in a way that I would know how to pronounce it?

Like this:

Glo-ree-ah, pot-tree, et filly-ee,

I have a problem with this part:

sicut erat in principio, et nunc, et semper, et in saecula

et spear-ee-too-ee sah-nct tee.

SEE’-coot AIR-rahht in prin-CHIP’-ee-oh et NOON-ch (rhymes with painter Munch), et SEM-pair, et in SAY-queue-lah SAY-queue-low-rahmmm. (Queue sounds just like the letter Q).

Pax vobiscum–the peace of the Lord be with you!

Tantum ergo:
Isn’t it “Gloria Patris, et Filio, et Spiritus Sancto …” ? nominatives, not possessives, right?

James_2:24:
Tantum ergo, thank you for this… can you spell some of that in a way that I would know how to pronounce it?
Latin, like Spanish is pronounced pretty much the way it looks, with all the vowels sounded (including dipthongs) without the inexplicable variations of English spelling and pronunciation so it actually is not that hard.
a = ah
e = long a as in hay

i = ee

o = oh

u = oo

diphthong usually has a stronger emphasis on the sound of the first vowel
saeculorum = say - coo - loh - room
there are some differences in short and long vowels but not as pronounced as in English

The “Patri” is the same on all sites (web AND written) that I’ve seen, not “patria”; I have seen it as “Filii” AND “Filio”, “Spiritui” and “Spirituo”. Should have just pasted from the rosary site, but I’m trying to type more, keep the old speed up.

Ack, it’s been forever. . .nominative, accusative, dative. . .I’ll roll out my Latin II primer this evening (not to mention my 1958 Maryknoll Missal) and get it set straight, thanks, MrS!

40.png
mrS4ntA:
Isn’t it “Gloria Patris, et Filio, et Spiritus Sancto …” ? nominatives, not possessives, right?
Hey, I’m no expert at Latin, either!

But, if I’m not mistaken, “Gloria Patri et Filli et Spiritui Sancti” would translate, literally, “Glory of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,” instead of “to”

That’s why I think the names are in nominative form.

40.png
mrS4ntA:
That’s why I think the names are in nominative form.
The names are in the Dative Case. To the Father etc. (Patri, Filio, Spiritui Sancto) “Gloria” is in the nominative.

I think the confusion is coming from this:

“In nomine Patris et Filii et Spiritus Sancti” In the name of the Father, etc. This is the Genitive (Possessive) Case.

“Glory TO” (+ Dative) vs “In the name OF” (+ Genitive).

BTW, another term for the “Glory Be” is the “Minor Doxology” (Latin: “Doxologia Minor”)

I hope this isn’t overkill, but maybe a paradigm will help:

NOM pater…filius…spiritus…sanctus…nomen
GEN patris…filii…spiritus…sancti…nominis
DAT patri…filio…spiritui…sancto…nomini
ACC patrem…filium…spiritum…sanctum…nomen
ABL patre…filio…spiritu…sancto…nomine

Pater, nomen - 3rd Declension
Filius, sanctus - 2nd Decl.
Spiritus - 4th Decl.

Et cum spiritu tuo

Here you go!

In Slavonic (in the Cyrillic alphabet).

Слава Отцу, и Сыну, и Святому Духу, и ныне, и присно, и во веки веков, Аминь.

Or in English.

Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit, now and ever and unto the ages of ages. Amen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back