B
BumpSetSpike
Guest
First off, I’m not supposed to be on here because my mom and step dad have officially banned me from researching anything religious on the net unless it’s an LDS site… but, I’m at my dads for Thanksgiving break and he fully supports me in wanting to convert! So if you don’t recieve any replies from me after Sunday, you know why.
Anywho, I have totally embraced my parents decision to not let me read anything Catholic and decided to read some more Mormon books… which has surprised them, but it hasn’t swayed my decision. Plus, I fianlly got up the courage to write my seminary teacher and told him of my decision to convert. He said he would write me back some questions and I want to be able to say I’ve actually read some Mormon books instead of all Catholic books, like he probably thinks.
I’m reading a book called “Essentials in Church History” by Joseph Fielding Smith. In it it talks about the Apostasy of the Catholic church, which I don’t believe it fell into Apostasy because of the scripture thats says the Gates of Hell will never prevail against it… So basically if Christ’s church fell into apostasy like LDS doctine claims, that would mean it also claims that Jesus was a liar.
I guess my question would be, if it is impossible for the Church to fall into apostasy, what is the Church’s take on the “dark ages”? We can’t just ignore it. What about selling salvation? I understand that individuals can become corrupt, but when a Pope is pardoning people of their sins for a price isn’t that basically the church? Or what I’m trying to say is, a Pope is supposed to be infalible. Doing this would be wrong and that whould make the Pope wrong. Am I mistaking anything here? Does the Catholic Church aknowledge any corrupt Popes or deny it?
Anywho, I have totally embraced my parents decision to not let me read anything Catholic and decided to read some more Mormon books… which has surprised them, but it hasn’t swayed my decision. Plus, I fianlly got up the courage to write my seminary teacher and told him of my decision to convert. He said he would write me back some questions and I want to be able to say I’ve actually read some Mormon books instead of all Catholic books, like he probably thinks.
I’m reading a book called “Essentials in Church History” by Joseph Fielding Smith. In it it talks about the Apostasy of the Catholic church, which I don’t believe it fell into Apostasy because of the scripture thats says the Gates of Hell will never prevail against it… So basically if Christ’s church fell into apostasy like LDS doctine claims, that would mean it also claims that Jesus was a liar.
I guess my question would be, if it is impossible for the Church to fall into apostasy, what is the Church’s take on the “dark ages”? We can’t just ignore it. What about selling salvation? I understand that individuals can become corrupt, but when a Pope is pardoning people of their sins for a price isn’t that basically the church? Or what I’m trying to say is, a Pope is supposed to be infalible. Doing this would be wrong and that whould make the Pope wrong. Am I mistaking anything here? Does the Catholic Church aknowledge any corrupt Popes or deny it?