What's your favorite book about Mary?

• Thread starter Thread starter PilgrimJWT
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

PilgrimJWT

To be frank, I have never had very much Marian devotion. I have no problem with Marian theology or anything like that. She does have my utmost respect for what she is. But I have trouble working up a warm affection toward her–maybe the root cause was my having to wait so long for breakfast while listening to the interminable Perpetual Help devotions every Tuesday after morning Mass in grade school.
I do have a favorite manifestation of Mary, however–Our Lady of Guadeloupe. When I find a decent reproduction of it (which isn’t all that easy to find) I will put it up. Seems she probably may have looked like that–dark skin was common among Israelites of that time.
I happened to run into this book titled “365 Mary” by Woodeene Koenig-Bricker. It was like I had been poleaxed. That lady’s insights were like none other I’ve ever seen on the subject of Mary and what she must have been like. I plan to order it–in hardback–because I expect to refer to it a lot.
This experience makes me curious. Many of you out there are very devoted to Mary, and I wonder what your favorite book about her might be.

City of God… by Venerable Mary of Agreda

Visions approved by the Church, depicting Mary’s ENTIRE life…plus the Lord’s… the work is a SEMINAL CLASSIC

“YOUR SORROW IS MY SORROW,” by Joyce Rupp. This book is from Crossroad publishing and was given to me as an Ordination present by a nun. I have found this has been a great book for anyone going through difficult times such as the loss of a loved one. It relates the “Seven Sorrows of Mary” to our own suffering.

God bless,
Deacon Tony

The Life of Mary as seen by the Mystics was great, I also love the book on the Rosary, and The devotions to Mary.🙂

How can I have just one? 🙂

Try St. Louis Marie de Montfort’s True Devotion to the Blessed Virgin and St. Alphonsus Maria de Liguori’s The Glories of Mary. Try St. de Montfort’s Consecration: if you want to pray in harmony with others you could start as soon as October 19.

40.png
csr:
How can I have just one? 🙂

Try St. Louis Marie de Montfort’s True Devotion to the Blessed Virgin and St. Alphonsus Maria de Liguori’s The Glories of Mary. Try St. de Montfort’s Consecration: if you want to pray in harmony with others you could start as soon as October 19.
Thanks for the link to the Consecration, csr. This is definitely something that interests me.

Another book I like, that is noteworthy perhaps more for being online than for being a truly great book–but it is a good book–is Mariology.com. Perhaps this book is more concerned with refuting heretical beliefs about the importance of our Mother, than with exploring all of the significance our Mother offers in our faith.

40.png
mtr01:
Thanks for the link to the Consecration, csr. This is definitely something that interests me.
You are welcome! Once you do the consecration you renew it daily. You can always go through the 33-day process again, too.

St. Thomas made a (frequent?) prayer to our Mother that includes the words:

…in sinum pietatis tuae
commendo hodie
et omnibus diebus vitae meae
corpus meum et animam meam,
omnesque actus meos, cogitationes, volitiones,
desideria, locutiones, operationes,
omnemque vitam, finemque meum,…

The Sophia Institute Press book of his prayers includes the above and translates it this way:

On this day and all the days of my life,
I entrust to your merciful heart
my body and my soul,
all my acts, thoughts, choices,
desires, words, deeds,
my entire life and death…

Definitely *True Devotion * and *Secrets of Mary * by St Louis de Montfort!! 👍

From the Beginning by Paula Haigh has a lot of helpful insights into the importance of Mary. You can download the book from Origins.

40.png
PilgrimJWT:
I happened to run into this book titled “365 Mary” by Woodeene Koenig-Bricker. It was like I had been poleaxed. That lady’s insights were like none other I’ve ever seen on the subject of Mary and what she must have been like. I plan to order it–in hardback–because I expect to refer to it a lot.
Yes, it is a neat book. Did you see her reading for November 15? She talks about Our Lady of Gudalupe and how Mary probably used the Indian word for Guadelupe, Coatlaxopeuh (pronounced quat-la-supay), which translates into “the one who crushes the serpent.” Neat, huh?

Sarah Jane:
Hail Holy Queen, by Scott Hahn.
I finished this book yesterday. As a recent convert, this really helped me to better get my hands around Marian doctrine. It also gave me a much better appreciation of her role in the plan of salvation. I highly recommend it.

Faithful 2 Rome:
City of God… by Venerable Mary of Agreda

Visions approved by the Church, depicting Mary’s ENTIRE life…plus the Lord’s… the work is a SEMINAL CLASSIC
I have read Agreds’s account–all four thick volumes of it. I think that the book I read and Agreda’s account seem to be describing two totally different individuals. Which of them is true I haven’t a clue. But the one I read seems the more likely; Agreda’s account has an atmosphere of fabulous fantastic ongoing miracle about it, and it could be true–God can do anything He wants.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back