What's your favorite cartoon series of the last 10 years, and thoughts on contemporary animation overall??

• Thread starter Thread starter NormalBeliever
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
N

NormalBeliever

As you can guess from the title, what would be your favorite cartoon series of the last 10 years (including the more recent ones) and why? Plus what are your thoughts on recent contemporary animation in general - is it moving in a direction where it’s cultural value and enjoyability will grow even more, or could it hit a roadblock like it did for part of the industry in the 2000’s?

Here are some of the more celebrated and well-known cartoon shows from the various networks so you can take a pick or analyse what catches your eye:

Cartoon Network: Adventure Time, Regular Show, Amazing World of Gumball, Steven Universe, We Bare Bears, Summer Camp Island, Infinity Train, Victor & Valentino, Craig of the Creek.

Nickelodeon: Spongebob Squarepants, Kung Fu Panda: LoA, TMNT, Harvey Beaks, Welcome to the Wayne, The Loud House

Disney: Gravity Falls, Wander Over Yonder, Star vs the Forces of Evil, Milo Murphy’s Law, Duck Tales 2017, Amphibia, Owl House

Discovery Family: My Little Pony: FiM

Last edited:
While I’d definitely give Regular Show a pretty good rating, I’m surprised The Amazing World of Gumball didn’t make the list. It managed to appeal to both kids and adults by covering more adult themes while still being whimsical and funny. It’s quality animation. Generally, though, I do see a bit of a downward trend. Teen Titans Go being successful is a really bad sign for the industry. It needed to flop because it’s just brainless schmuck. No artistic value.

Agreed about Teen Titans Go - definitely a sore spot of the last decade. As for Gumball, I agree - definitely should have put it there, though the list wasn’t meant to be exhaustive, just putting those that came quickest to my mind. Update: I just added Gumball as well.

Last edited:
So… does anyone else have any favorites or thoughts on this?

I really liked Regular show and Adventure time, although I haven’t seen many seasons. The Simpsons was always a fav of mine too

My exposure is limited, but I’m never averse to my daughter putting Adventure Time on. My wife hates it.

It’s more than ten years old, but you seem to have opened the discussion up to anything produced in the 2000’s so I’ll throw Avatar: The Last Airbender in as a worthy contender for best animated series.

Last edited:
Yep - definitely a candidate there. I know many people would even say it’s the best. Though I was focusing more on the previous decade of the 2010’s and the current year.

I know of most of these shows, but haven’t watched them. My favorites that have ended either 2010 or later are King of the Hill and The Venture Bros.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back