G
Guardian
Guest
I need to know which council and what date the concept of the “Trinity” was pronounced as Dogma. Thanks.
You mean the term “Trinity” was defined in a dogmatic statement of the Church. That was at Nicea.I need to know which council and what date the concept of the “Trinity” was pronounced as Dogma. Thanks.
I thought that Theophilus (168-183 AD) came up with the concept of the Trinity in Greek??Hints of Trinitarian beliefs can be seen in the teachings of extra-biblical writers as early as the end of the first century. However, the clearest early expression of the concept came with Tertullian, a Latin theologian who wrote in the early third century. Tertullian coined the words “Trinity” and “person” and explained that the Father, Son and Holy Spirit were “one in essence - not one in Person.”
About a century later, in 325, the Council of Nicea set out to officially define the relationship of the Son to the Father, in response to the controversial teachings of Arius. Led by bishop Athanasius, the council established the doctrine of the Trinity as orthodoxy and condemned Arius’ teaching that Christ was the first creation of God. The creed adopted by the council described Christ as “God of God, Light of Light, very God of very God, begotten, not made, being of one substance (homoousios) with the Father.”
You’re correct:I thought that Theophilus (168-183 AD) came up with the concept of the Trinity in Greek??
I don’t know where I heard that.
newadvent.org/cathen/15047a.htmIn Scripture there is as yet no single term by which the Three Divine Persons are denoted together. The word trias (of which the Latin trinitas is a translation) is first found in Theophilus of Antioch about A.D. 180. He speaks of "the Trinity of God [the Father], His Word and His Wisdom (“Ad. Autol.”, II, 15). The term may, of course, have been in use before his time. Afterwards it appears in its Latin form of trinitas in Tertullian (“De pud.” c. xxi). In the next century the word is in general use. It is found in many passages of Origen (“In Ps. xvii”, 15). The first creed in which it appears is that of Origen’s pupil, Gregory Thaumaturgus.
To see the hebrew click here-Gen 1:1 ¶ In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.
I’d just like to dispute this with my tongue firmly in my cheek.In Scripture there is as yet no single term by which the Three Divine Persons are denoted together.
Exd 3:14 And God said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you.
Yahweh is his name. The father, the son, and the holy spirit.Exd 3:15 And God said moreover unto Moses, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, The LORD God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, hath sent me unto you: this [is] my name for ever, and this [is] my memorial unto all generations.
I have a better verse to describe the TrinityI’d just like to dispute this with my tongue firmly in my cheek.
Yahweh is his name. The father, the son, and the holy spirit.
Skeptictank