When does Sunday begin and end?

• Thread starter Thread starter Digitonomy
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Digitonomy

I would like some general guidelines on what hour “Sunday” begins and ends for the following purposes:
  1. Weekly mass obligation
  2. Refraining from servile work
  3. Limitation on frequency of receiving the Eucharist
  4. Easing of Lenten penance
Thanks in advance.

I have no idea - but why let facts stand in the way of a post? 😛

The way I would answer it is by how you observe the Sabath.

Since the Vigil Mass meets your Sunday obligation, if you attend the Vigil Mass, then that starts your sabath, so no further work - ie. don’t go back to work after the Vigil Mass.

If you go to Mass on Saturday evening, why go again on Sunday morning?

I am not sure what you mean by “Easing of Lenten penance”.

Sorry to say, but Sunday is still part of lent.

As far as not working, do the best you can. I work at a power plant and routinely have to work 8pm to 8am.

The Eucharist may be recieved up to twice a day, as long as the second time is part of a mass. The first time may be part of a mass, a communion service, etc.

40.png
mjdonnelly:
I also was under the impression that Scripture supported the idea that Sundays were exempted from the traditional fasting or sacrifice of Lent: *“Can the friends of the bridegroom mourn as long as the bridegroom is with them? But the days will come when the bridegroom will be taken away from them…then they will fast” Matthew 9:15 *

Cheers!
Fred

40.png
mjdonnelly:
From Jimmy Akin,
**Q: Since Sundays are not counted in the forty days of Lent, does the custom of giving up something apply to them? ** **A: **Customarily, no…
40.png
mjdonnelly:
As far as not working, do the best you can. I work at a power plant and routinely have to work 8pm to 8am.
Of course, but if I don’t work on weekends, do I need to refrain from mowing the lawn after, say, 5:30 pm Saturday, or do I have until midnight?
40.png
mjdonnelly:
The Eucharist may be recieved up to twice a day, as long as the second time is part of a mass. The first time may be part of a mass, a communion service, etc.
So if I receive communion at vigil mass Saturday, and 8 AM mass on Sunday, am I prohibited from receiving further on Sunday, or did Saturday vigil not count as Sunday for this purpose?

Ever since I was young, going to catholic school, it included the entire Lenten season. The not on Sunday seems new to me and just an excuse to ease our yearnings. I could find no mention of easing lenten penance on Sunday. Here is what I could find from the USCCB website:

usccb.org/dpp/penitential.htm
Some highlights:

The season of Lent has traditionally been a time of prolonged penance for the Christian community.

In our Catholic tradition we specify certain days and seasons for special works of penance: Fridays, on which we commemorate the death of the Lord, and Lent, our forty days of preparation for the Easter mysteries.

During this forty-day period each year, the Church unites itself to the mystery of Jesus in the desert. To prepare to celebrate the Easter mysteries, we devote time during this special season to pray, to perform works of charity, and to deny ourselves by fulfilling obligations more faithfully.

Ash Wednesday—This day marks the beginning of the Lenten season. The imposition of ashes is an ancient penitential practice symbolizing our dependence upon God’s mercy and forgiveness. Ash Wednesday is a day of fast and abstinence in the Church.

Ahh…the forty day period. Count up the days in Lent (a) counting Sundays, and (b) not counting Sundays. I believe that only method (b) will yield 40 days. (Of course, I am extremely lazy, and have never actually verified this… :o )

Cheers,
Fred

40 days, yes if you don’t count Sundays, you will arrive at 40. So then it would be fine to allow yourself to become weak and break penance on Sunday.

For recieving the eucharist:

Code of Canon Law states, “A person who has already received the Most Holy Eucharist can receive it a second time on the same day only within the Eucharistic celebration in which the person participates, without prejudice to the prescript of can. 921, §2.” (CIC 917) (Canon 921, §2 deals with reception by those in danger of death.)

I would assume when they say the same day, it would be calendar day. So you could go to vigil mass on Saturday, then twice on Sunday and not violate anything.

mjdonnelly said:
40 days, yes if you don’t count Sundays, you will arrive at 40. So then it would be fine to allow yourself to become weak and break penance on Sunday.

I wish! Even after I first heard about this a few years ago (and I was very skeptical at first!), I still won’t break my penance. I know I’m too weak to break it on Sunday, but then expect to be able to pick it up again come Monday

Peace,
Fred

Another elaboration of question number 1 is what happens if my parish does not normally have a Sunday evening mass. If they have a special 9pm vigil mass for a Monday holy day, is there reason that can’t be used to fulfill the Sunday obligation? With attendance at the holy day mass the next day to fulfill that obligation, of course.

40.png
mjdonnelly:
Got this from the EWTN web site.
Fr, I was wondering if you lenten sacrifice counted on sudays. If so where Can I find the answer Besides you of course!!

(Answer)
Sundays in Lent do not count as part of the Lenten penance. Sundays are not mentioned in the Canon Law section that deals with days of penance, CC.1249-1253. Fr. Bob Levis
John

Sundays are are feast days.
I persoanlly resent the implication some make that I am weak since I celebrate the Resurrection.

As to when Sunday “starts” I understood it to be based on the traditional Jewish undersatnding of a day - sundown to sundown.
Another elaboration of question number 1 is what happens if my parish does not normally have a Sunday evening mass. If they have a special 9pm vigil mass for a Monday holy day, is there reason that can’t be used to fulfill the Sunday obligation?
I don’t think it would not fulfill your Sunday obligation, because it’s not the Sunday liturgy being celebrated, it’s the holy day liturgy. I would think of it as being similar to going to a a wedding Mass on a Satruday afternoon/evening - it does not fulfill Sunday obligation, either.

40.png
ChrisR246:
As to when Sunday “starts” I understood it to be based on the traditional Jewish undersatnding of a day - sundown to sundown.
It may be based on the Jewish understanding, but it deviates from Jewish practice. You can go to a 4 or 4:30 vigil mass in the middle of June, when the sun may not set until 7:30 or 8. Similarly, you will find Sunday evening masses at 6 pm and probably later - well after sunset in December. We apparently can have it both ways on this one issue.

What I’m wondering is does this expansive understanding of Sunday apply to the other Sunday-specific issues at top, and exactly when Saturday evening and when Sunday night does it begin and end?
40.png
ChrisR246:
I don’t think it would fulfill your Sunday obligation, because it’s not the Sundayliturgy being celebrated, it’s the holy day liturgy. I would think of it as being similar to going to a a wedding Mass on a Satruday afternoon/evening - it does not fulfill Sunday obligation, either.
But I have heard specific instruction from the priest the week before such a Sunday evening/Monday vigil mass that it could apply to either, but not both, obligations. What I don’t recall is whether there was normally a Sunday evening mass at that church - but would it matter? And the late hour I suggested (9 pm) certainly sets it apart from your run of the mill Sunday evening masses. But that gets back to the question of what hour Sunday ends that I’ve been trying to track down.

It is my understanding that it is no longer sundown to sundown, but evening prayer to evening prayer. This means it would vary from place to place depending on what time evening prayer is.

As for Sundays and Lent, I have counted it out on the calendar and Sundays “don’t count”. I personally use Sundays of Lent to celebrate the resurrection of the Lord. This is what every Sunday is for and is why “Sundays don’t count” during Lent. But this is a personal decision, no one should be “weak” if they chose to celebrate the Resurrection of the Lord, nor should anyone be considered wrong by keeping to their Lenten promises on Sunday.

The whole point of Lent is to prepare ourselves. Some would never get there by skipping Sundays and others wouldn’t feel right by continueing the fast. Both are allowed and neither should be looked down on.
God Bless

40.png
MariaG:
The whole point of Lent is to prepare ourselves. Some would never get there by skipping Sundays and others wouldn’t feel right by continueing the fast. Both are allowed and neither should be looked down on.
God Bless
Good point, i just get agitated when people have been counting Sundays as part of the Lenten season for their whole life, then they decide they don’t want to anymore.

I started this thread after being told my submission to Ask an Apologist would not be answered. But I now rejoice, for in the true spirit of Sunday, it has been resurrected.:angel1:

While she didn’t address the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th aspect of Sunday in my question, Jan Wakelin provides a near-definitive answer (link) to the first issue: Sunday mass obligation. Short answer: anytime until midnight Sunday night is ok, and you may attend a Sunday vigil mass anytime after 4 pm Saturday in the US, or after noon Saturday in the UK (Canadians can probably split the difference;)).

**Lenten penance
**Her sources on the first issue were canon law commentaries. Since my question focusses on nitpicky technicalities, the law (and its interpretation) seems like the place to go for the answers. I assume the Lenten penance is a pious custom rather than a regulated activity under canon law, so I doubt there is a definitive answer to this - each person must interpret and act on this custom as they see fit.

Multiple receptions of Eucharist
The wording of Canon 1248 cited by Jan Wakelin, “on the feast day itself or in the evening of the preceding day,” implies that in most cases, days are reckoned by the calendar day rather than the traditional Jewish custom. This is probably true of reception of the Eutharist, as mjdonnelly said.

Refraining from servile work
This one I could still see going either way. I like the approach of BrianDay, especially because the rest from work was so integral to the Jewish tradition that we are attempting to follow in recognizing the vigil as part of Sunday. However, it seems to me this is probably addressed by canon law, so the simplicity of the calendar day may be the actual rule. Anyone got a copy handy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back