When Father and Mother don't agree?

• Thread starter Thread starter jasonconners7
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jasonconners7

My father and mother do not agree on weather I can pray to saints my mom says that I can but my dad says that I can’t.

My pastor also said that I can’t.

This has been weighing on me as I’ve been very lonely and it helps me to be able to ask others for help that have become perfect.

I know it says “the husband is the head of his wife”

"wives be subject to your husbands as you are to the lord"

I’m really struggling with this because it seems my mom should submit to my dad in what he has said but two men I respect a lot told me they are catholic.

Last edited:
Its not their choice its yours no one can decide what you will believe. I know lots of people forced to religion and none go to church anymore. I myself was told what my confirmation name would be I did not get to decide or for that matter to be confirmed it was not my choice I was forced or take a beating. I don’t why other people think they can decide what a person is going to believe its ridiculous.

How old are you? Do you realize that this forum is mostly made up of Catholics, which does not appear to be your religion? Why are you asking strangers of another faith questions about your faith?

Why don’t you pray to saints without telling your parents?
They cannot find out if you don’t tell them.
Are you forced to tell them everything about your spiritual life?
How old are you?

My father and mother do not agree on weather I can pray to saints my mom says that I can but my dad says that I can’t.

My pastor also said that I can’t.

This has been weighing on me as I’ve been very lonely and it helps me to be able to ask others for help that have become perfect.

I know it says “the husband is the head of his wife”

"wives be subject to your husbands as you are to the lord"

I’m really struggling with this because it seems my mom should submit to my dad in what he has said but two men I respect a lot told me they are catholic.
Some Christians don’t recognize the Maccabean books as canonical but rather, “apocryphal”. Books of the Old Testament that are found in the Greek Old Testament (“Septuagint”) were recognized by and used by the early Church. For example, 2 Maccabees itself was used by Fathers and early Christian writers:
  • St. Cyprian of Carthage (3rd century)
  • Clement of Alexandria (3rd century)
  • Origen (3rd century)
  • St. Ambrose of Milan (4th century)
  • St. Basil of Caesarea (4th century)
  • St. Ephrem the Syrian (4th century)
  • St. Hilary of Poitiers (4th century)
In 2 Maccabees 15:11-16 Judas Maccabeus is about to enter into battle with Nicanor. He inspires his soldiers:
“he cheered them all by relating a dream, a sort of vision, a which was worthy of belief”
In the vision Judas Maccabeus saw the departed former high priest of Israel praying for and interceding for Israel. Then he describes that Jeremiah, the prophet of God appeared and said “Take this holy sword, a gift from God, with which you will strike down your adversaries.” (Jeremiah was also departed having lived in 7th century BC , but Judas Maccabeus much later in the 2nd century BC.)

This clearly shows the intercession of the saints.

Also Revelation shows the intercession of the angels, and many scriptures show that the angels hear and communicate with humans.

Revelation 8
3 And another angel came and stood at the altar with a golden censer; and he was given much incense to mingle with the prayers of all the saints upon the golden altar before the throne; 4 and the smoke of the incense rose with the prayers of the saints from the hand of the angel before God.

Last edited:
Your dad must not be Catholic. Catholics ask saints for their intercession, not to divine the future. The saints are our friends in Heaven. If we ask our friends on earth to pray for us, why can’t we ask our friends in Heaven to pray for us. I know of Protestants that say, “But they’re dead!” They must not believe in life after death then. Your mom doesn’t have to submit to your dad when he’s clearly in error. Children are called to obey their parents in anything not sinful. We don’t have to obey anyone if they want us to sin. God comes first. St. Monica didn’t submit to her pagan husband on issues that contradicted what God has revealed, did she?

Last edited:
And, btw…no one has ‘become perfect’. We’re just trying our best. Your pastor said you can’t pray to saints? Is he Catholic??

I’m sorry you weren’t given the choice of a confirmation name. Your parents did you a disservice there but they were obligated to instill the Faith in you. You seem to be coming from the perspective that all beliefs are equal. That we decide what is true or what is not. Abortion is murder; abortion isn’t murder. Pray to saints; don’t pray to saints. Sure, a lot of things are our choices and should be but not matters concerning the Faith. There is one true Church, the Catholic Church. Why do I say this? Because only the Catholic Church can be traced back to the time of Christ. We have an unbroken line back to St. Peter to whom Jesus said, “Upon this rock I build my church and the gates of hell will not prevail against it.” I believe Jesus. That is why I’m Catholic. I had horrible Catholic examples growing up. I was told I could never go to heaven because my parents weren’t married in the Church. That’s not Church Teaching. I didn’t know that for years. Since your parents want you to be happy in this life AND IN THE NEXT, they taught you the Truth. It’s up to you to accept it or reject it. They may have interjected their personal opinion in there and they may have made some mistakes. Guess what? None of us are perfect. So it’s not ‘ridiculous’ for parents to teach their children what’s True and good. I hope someday you can differentiate between personal opinion and personal failings and what Jesus has truly revealed (the Teachings of the Church).

If you are a minor we cannot tell you to go against your parents, and if your parents have a difference of opinion, then you need to be talking to both of them to get some clear guidance on what you are supposed to do, not be asking us.

If you are not a minor, then you need to act like an adult and make the decision about prayer on your own. Edited to add, I see by your past post that LumineDiei posted, you are 25. That is way past the age of majority and you should not be concerned about what your parents think by the time you reach that age.

Either way, we cannot be analyzing aspects of your non-Catholic religion.

Last edited:
  1. if you are 25, then your parents have no say over who you pray to, what religion you are, etc. I read in your profile you are Baptist. I’m wondering why your mother or father know how/who you pray to anyway. Just don’t share your personal spiritual life with them.
  2. Your father, as he is not Catholic, may not understand that Catholics are not praying to the Saints to fulfill our need/request/praise to the Lord - but we are asking for then to intercede on our behalf. Basically, to pray for us. A good way to explain this to you non-Catholic parents would be… I’m sure they’ve told a friend or family member “I’ll pray for you” and when they’ve been worried or struggling they’ve asked their friends, neighbors, family members; “Please pray for me!” This is what Catholics ask of the Saints. We are asking them to please pray for us… intercede for us.
Perhaps if you want to continue to get your father’s ok for you to pray this is a good way to explain something he might find confusing. But again… you are 25 so really, you don’t need his permission to pray as you wish.

🙂

Last edited:
Tell your Dad that Christians had been praying for intercession of saints for 1500 years until Luther came along so you have the history of Christianity on your side.

I trust the OP is telling us the truth about his age. I suspect there may be more to his situation, perhaps some kind of disability that has made him more dependent upon his parents than others his age.
I was wondering how that could be said gracefully.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back