When is following a cult of personality a sin?

• Thread starter Thread starter melvfe
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Topic is self-explanatory
For an adult, I’d have to say pretty much always. Youngsters and adolescents who “idolize” BTS or PewDiePie, no big deal, that’s part of growing up. But otherwise, a mindset not worthy of mature adults.

I would hesitate to call it mortally sinful.

This is what the US Office of Strategic Services had to say about Hitler, way back in 1943:

His primary rules were: never allow the public to cool off; never admit a fault or wrong; never concede that there may be some good in your enemy; never leave room for alternatives; never accept blame; concentrate on one enemy at a time and blame him for everything that goes wrong; people will believe a big lie sooner than a little one; and if you repeat it frequently enough people will sooner or later believe it.

Excuse me, I feel a coughing attack coming on. Hope it’s not the virus.

Last edited:
40.png
HomeschoolDad:
Youngsters and adolescents who “idolize” BTS or PewDiePie, no big deal,
Except when these “influencers” start enticing kids away from their faith.
As far as I am aware, neither of these media entities do that.

Anything that is not borne of love for God and Neighbor is
a sin, a falling short of the glory of God. Rom 3:23

I wouldn’t say that they necessarily and of purpose try to spread skepticism, but when you have a kid who looks up to these guys because they’re hip, cool and funny, and then they casually drop into the conversation about how they don’t believe, it can definitely color a kid’s thinking.

Rhett and Link from Good Mythical Morning endeared themselves to the younger audience partly because their Christian faith made them seem “safe” to parents to let their kids watch.
Their format is mostly food challenges and lists of oddities and stuff, they never claimed to be a show about Christianity. However, they’re active over multiple platforms, and their fans know how to find them.
A few months ago they discussed on one of their other shows (maybe Ear Buiscuits?) how they’d both lost their faith and have left their Church, implying how they’re so much smarter and mature now.

Yes, they have the freedom of religion and the right to free speech. But they are also influencers of children.

So to answer the OP’s question, if you follow a “personality” to the point they’ve enticed you out of your faith, I would say sin is involved, but it’s not always clear whose sin it is.

The word “cult” in “cult of personality” implies a type of enslavement, an attachment that takes precedent over everything else. This is always sinful, as God must be first place in our lives and everything else seen in relation to God. The Bible warns us repeatedly not to put our faith in humans but only in God.

We even have phrases “teen idol” and “hero worship”

I wouldn’t say that they necessarily and of purpose try to spread skepticism, but when you have a kid who looks up to these guys because they’re hip, cool and funny, and then they casually drop into the conversation about how they don’t believe, it can definitely color a kid’s thinking.

Rhett and Link from Good Mythical Morning endeared themselves to the younger audience partly because their Christian faith made them seem “safe” to parents to let their kids watch.
Their format is mostly food challenges and lists of oddities and stuff, they never claimed to be a show about Christianity. However, they’re active over multiple platforms, and their fans know how to find them.
A few months ago they discussed on one of their other shows (maybe Ear Buiscuits ?) how they’d both lost their faith and have left their Church, implying how they’re so much smarter and mature now.

Yes, they have the freedom of religion and the right to free speech. But they are also influencers of children.

So to answer the OP’s question, if you follow a “personality” to the point they’ve enticed you out of your faith, I would say sin is involved, but it’s not always clear whose sin it is.
Unless you set up a homestead in the middle of nowhere, homeschool, reserve electronics only for necessary business and educational purposes, and restrict your youngsters’ interactions with peers to the weekly trek into the nearest hamlet that has a Traditional Latin Mass and the social hour thereafter, you’re going to have to deal with the world. I never cease explaining to my son the apologetical problems and errors of those who do not share our Faith. That’s about all you can do.
We even have phrases “teen idol” and “hero worship”
Figures of speech.

Unless you set up a homestead in the middle of nowhere, homeschool, reserve electronics only for necessary business and educational purposes, and restrict your youngsters’ interactions with peers to the weekly trek into the nearest hamlet that has a Traditional Latin Mass and the social hour thereafter, you’re going to have to deal with the world. I never cease explaining to my son the apologetical problems and errors of those who do not share our Faith. That’s about all you can do.
Yes, that’s true.
Sadly, this is the world our kiddos have to endure and learn to live in.

But but I was trying to answer the original question about the sinfulness (or lack of) of cult of personality. 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back