When is working on Sundays a sin?

  • Thread starter Thread starter CatholicLeanne
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

CatholicLeanne

Guest
I’m a teenager and I’m struggling to find a job because I don’t want to work on Sundays. I’ve already turned down multiple jobs because of this and I’m under a lot of pressure from my parents to get a job, now. I’ve just been offered a job but it might require me to work on Sundays- is this a sin?

I understand that people who need to support their families or who work in healthcare etc. sometimes need to work on Sundays, but I won’t be homeless if I don’t have a job and it’s working in a restaurant so hardly on the same level as a nurse or a firefighter. It’s just that my mum is really freaking out that I don’t have a job and she’ll be so upset if I don’t take it. I don’t want to disappoint her (and also the money would give me a little more freedom, which would be nice) but if it’s a sin then I’m going to have to.

I just don’t know what to do here. I wish the Church had a clear-cut answer because it’s driving me to insanity. I really want to please God but I can’t see how I can avoid working on Sundays here and there.
 
My take:

You have legitimate reasons for needing the job.

You’re not taking the job purposely so you can work on Sundays or miss Mass on Sundays.

And the Sundays when you’ll be working you’ll be benefiting your employer, not doing recreational activities for yourself.

So, I’d say, no problem.
 
I’ve just been offered a job but it might require me to work on Sundays- is this a sin?
No, it isn’t a sin.

I’m sorry that neither your pastor nor your parents helped you to understand this. I encourage you to talk to them more about your concerns.

You should be able to fulfill your Sunday obligation on Saturday evening or on Sunday before or after your shift.

We are called to rest from servile work, which is heavy manual labor— like farm work such as in the field and construction work for example. But even farmers feed their livestock, milk their cows, and do basic chores on Sunday.

See this article:

 
If you don’t have to work on Sundays, you shouldn’t. Many jobs by their nature require Sunday work — police, firefighters, first responders, retail establishments that provide essential goods that people need seven days a week (pharmacies, convenience stores, etc.). There are circumstances and localities where jobs are hard to get, and you basically have to accept the terms that the employer lays down, for lack of alternatives.

There is no “one answer” and you need to consult your priest.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top