When Methodist can take our Catholic Full communion ? Is it possible in future catholic -Methodist dialogue?

• Thread starter Thread starter Jebaroy
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jebaroy

When Methodist can take our Catholic Full communion ? Is it possible in future catholic -Methodist dialogue ?

That’s really interesting, because even though John Wesley did not have the Catholic belief on the Eucharist, he believed that Holy Communion should be received frequently.

If you are asking about the possibility of a Methodist receiving the Eucharist in the Catholic Church, the Code of Canon Law says:
Canon 844 §4 If there is a danger of death or if, in the judgement of the diocesan Bishop or of the Episcopal Conference, there is some other grave and pressing need, catholic ministers may lawfully administer these same sacraments [i.e., penance, the Eucharist and anointing of the sick] to other christians not in full communion with the catholic Church, who cannot approach a minister of their own community and who spontaneously ask for them, provided that they demonstrate the catholic faith in respect of these sacraments and are properly disposed. (source)

Last edited:
Now days Catholic Church has accepted the Methodist baptism, and both churches continuously having dialogues, Now i wish to know the development of next step of dialog ? Are they towards one communion ?

Catholics and Orthodox having one communion same as at least mainline churches should come to the one communion.
Google it : " From mutual suspicion to “brothers and sisters”: how the relationship between Catholics and Methodists has dramatically shifted"

Wesley and for Methodists the eucharist has always been a very central means of grace. So are they (Methodists ) closer in their theology to Catholics ?

Wesley and for Methodists the eucharist has always been a very central means of grace. So are they (Methodists ) closer in their theology to Catholics ?

So are they (Methodists ) closer in their theology to Catholics ?
Closer as compared to what exactly?

There are many insurmountable differences between Methodists and Catholics. The Church is not going to overlook these differences and say everything is okay.
40.png
Differences Between Catholic and Methodist? Non-Catholic Religions
I honestly do not know a whole lot. I know that it was founded by John Wesley, who broke off from the more structured Anglican church. Methodism became really popular among the lower classes, I believe, and it quickly spread to the New World. The Methodists mostly broke away from the Anglican Church because they felt that the Anglican Church was not as alive with the Spirit as it should have been. The Methodists were big into preaching, and they preached that one had to come into a deep, liv…
https://www.quora.com/How-do-Catholics-and-Methodists-differ

Last edited:
Ten years ago, the partners in the Roman Catholic and World Methodist issued a Summary document describing the efforts made and the situation reached by then:
Methodists and Catholics welcome one another to attend their celebrations of the Eucharist, and agree that receiving Holy Communion is both a sign of existing unity and a means towards the greater unity of the Church, but they are not agreed on the unity in faith required for admission to Communion. Catholics and Methodists should make the fullest use of the provisions in their respective ecumenical legislation, except that no breach of each other’s discipline should be encouraged.
Methodists and Catholics are already agreed that when the Eucharist is celebrated, we hear afresh the Word of God spoken to us; we enter together more deeply into the saving mystery of Christ; we encounter Christ anew in a way which ensures the living presence of Christ at the heart of the Church; we are anointed by the transforming love which is God’s Holy Spirit and become more truly the Body of Christ; we are sent forth together in Christ to share more deeply in God’s work in our world; and we share together a foretaste of the heavenly banquet. As we celebrate the Eucharist, called together by the Father, the Risen Lord makes us more fully what he wills his Church to be, by the power of the Holy Spirit. Together these affirmations already provide a rich foundation from which we can face the remaining issues in the hope that one day Catholics and Methodists will be able to gather together in full communion around the table of the Lord.
Synthesis Together to Holiness 106-7

I have been told by a Methodist that they receive Communion less frequently so it doesn’t come to feel routine. Just what I’ve heard. I wonder if they would receive Communion during hospital visits?

Now days Catholic Church has accepted the Methodist baptism, and both churches continuously having dialogues, Now i wish to know the development of next step of dialog ? Are they towards one communion ?
general Communion between Catholics and Methodism simply wouldn’t be possible.

The Catholic Church has maintained the Apostolic succession and clergy, while the Methodists not only have not, but lack the general understanding of them. There simple fact that they think that women can be ordained is enough to show that there is not a common understanding that can lead to recognition of clergy, or the existence of Sacraments.

It is not that “Methodist Baptism” is recognized, but that any trinitarian baptism in the name of Father, Son, and Spiirt/Ghost is recognized. Note that Methodist Baptism in names of “Creator, Redeemer, and Sustainer” is not recognized.

Dialog will bring us to closer understanding of each other, but not to Communion.

I pray for the Methodist church to unify with the Catholic Church. I grew up Methodist but converted to Catholicism as I believe it is Christ’s church. However I still have love for Methodists.

Dialog will bring us to closer understanding of each other, but not to Communion.
Hope is a virtue.
Together these affirmations already provide a rich foundation from which we can face the remaining issues in the hope that one day Catholics and Methodists will be able to gather together in full communion around the table of the Lord.
Synthesis Together to Holiness 106-7

American Methodism is going through struggling now. The dominant minority that apparently won the right to inherit the United Methodist name according to a tentative settlement and most infrastructure, seems ready to move aggressively farther from their historic and current Catholic position on marriage. And likely soon, the Catholic position on prolife. These big steps on those issues farther apart far outweigh occasional ecumenical contacts.

The more moderate groups that may be leaving the UMC, if agreement goes through, will take time to coalesce into their own version of Methodism.

Last edited:
These big steps on those issues farther apart far outweigh occasional ecumenical contacts.
The things that divide us always seem more important than the work of God.

Ecumenism is about hope, about working together so that all may understand and appreciate what God has done for us.

It will always seem crazy, irrational, but that cannot be a reason not to do it.

It will always seem crazy, irrational, but that cannot be a reason not to do it.
Reminds me of a point about Catholic social teaching I read. Catholic social teaching is difficult to implement. So is chastity. No reason not to do your best.

40.png
commenter:
These big steps on those issues farther apart far outweigh occasional ecumenical contacts.
The things that divide us always seem more important than the work of God.

Ecumenism is about hope, about working together so that all may understand and appreciate what God has done for us.

If we love people we pay attention to what they say and do…all of it. To ignore or minimize positions that they take - positions that they themselves regard as core, as permanent, and extremely important to them as well as to us, is disrespectful.

This is not like choosing to overlook a scandal or imperfection, that your partner recognizes as an imperfection. It’s not like struggling to accept some aspect of Methodism, it’s rather seeing a movement away from Methodist tradition towards secularism.

So, you avoid conflict, but recognize new realities.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back