When to Serve

  • Thread starter Thread starter ShadowWolf514
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

ShadowWolf514

Guest
Should we do things for others even when they don’t appreciate it, and allow them to be slothful? Jesus taught us to be the lowest, to wash our brothers feet as it were. I just have a very hard time finding the line between being humble, but at the same time not letting people walk all over you.
 
I know what you mean and my one to add is when they get onto you for seemingly standing back and letting them do it for themselves even when they are apparently having difficulty because some people want to do it for themselves and others just want to accuse me of being lazy…

yet my intention in observing each situation is to assess that I will do more harm than good by helping because I do lack the insight to be of real use,
and I have been taught that some people really want to do it themselves no matter how difficult it may be and would be genuinly offended if you tried to help. Its confusing isn’t it. 🤷
 
2 Thessalonians 3:10
For even when we were with you, we used to give you this order: if anyone is not willing to work, then he is not to eat, either.
 
Should we do things for others even when they don’t appreciate it, and allow them to be slothful? Jesus taught us to be the lowest, to wash our brothers feet as it were. I just have a very hard time finding the line between being humble, but at the same time not letting people walk all over you.
The following is my opinion only, but based on years of experience with this world.
  1. Service may or may not be an act of mercy.
  2. True mercy implies an honest relationship between the giver and receiver. Mercy is only possible when a soul is in need, is unable to provide for themselves, and through it, gains an understanding of his or her frailty.
  3. If you do not know the true intention of the “victim”, but serve him/her anyway out of your desire to do the right thing, your intentions are honorable.
  4. Service given to those who, for whatever reason, do not “appreciate” it, or are manipulating the situation to “get” something for themselves is essentially folly. Great harm can be done to the receiver in this situation. If you become aware of their intention, it is OK to stop.
  5. If at any point #2 becomes possible, it is OK to start again.
Again, my opinion only. I believe I have done great harm to people by personally assuming the responsibilities for their bad actions, although my intentions were good.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top