When will this passage be read at Mass?

  • Thread starter Thread starter BillyHW
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BillyHW

Guest
Greetings Liturgy Forumers!

I was wondering if there is any web page or resource out there that will let me search the daily or weekly lectionary schedule for when a particular passage of scripture will be read at mass.

For example, I would like to know precisely what day on the calendar Psalm 137 will be read at Mass, and also Matthew 22:23-30.

But this is a question that comes up regularly for me for many passages of Scripture, and I was wondering if there was any way to search for when and if a random passage will be part of the daily readings.

Thanks for any tips.
 
Hmmmm, I’m not sure if there is an online resource that let’s you look up a particular Mass according to its corresponding readings. However, I know for a fact that the Daily Roman Missal contains an index of Scripture passages (with the exception of the Psalms). It gives you the page number of the Mass (or Masses) where this passage appears.

Anyways, I looked up the Matthew passage that you’re looking for, but it’s not there. Apparently it’s not used in any Mass whatsoever.

If you want to have a lectionary with a complete index of passages (with Psalms included), then the only thing I would recommend is to buy yourself a liturgical lectionary (i.e. the big hardback book actually read from at Mass):
amazon.com/Lectionary-Mass-Proper-Seasons-Weekdays/dp/0814628842/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1260784451&sr=8-6 (volume I)
amazon.com/Lectionary-Mass-Proper-Seasons-Weekdays/dp/0814628818/ref=pd_bxgy_b_text_c (volume II)
amazon.com/Lectionary-Mass-Common-Various-Occasions/dp/0814628826/ref=pd_sim_b_2 (volume III)

And there is even a study version of one of the above volumes:

amazon.com/Lectionary-National-Conference-Catholic-Bishops/dp/0814625886/ref=pd_sim_b_3
 
Greetings Liturgy Forumers!

I was wondering if there is any web page or resource out there that will let me search the daily or weekly lectionary schedule for when a particular passage of scripture will be read at mass.

For example, I would like to know precisely what day on the calendar Psalm 137 will be read at Mass, and also Matthew 22:23-30.

But this is a question that comes up regularly for me for many passages of Scripture, and I was wondering if there was any way to search for when and if a random passage will be part of the daily readings.

Thanks for any tips.
It is still (and probably always will be) a work in progress. But I have put together this site adtelevavi.110mb.com/ because I too wanted to be able to look up a passage and find out when it is used at Mass.

Right now it covers the Ordinary Form of the Roman Rite (which is what you are most likely looking for) as well as Feasts particular to 2 Religious Orders - the Carmelites and the Dominicans.

It does not appear that Matthew 22:23-30 is ever used at Mass. Psalm 137, however, is used several times.

Psalm 137:1-6 is used:
4th Sunday of Lent Year B Responsorial Psalm
Friday 12th Week in Ordinary Time Year II Responsorial Psalm
Wednesday 26th Week in Ordinary Time Year I Responsorial Psalm

and Psalm 137:1 is used:
Feast of Saints Michael, Gabriel, and Raphael (September 29th) Communion Antiphon
Mass for Various Needs and Occasions: In Thanksgiving Communion Antiphon (1st Option)

I am slowly working on adding the Extraordinary Form of the Roman Rite (the Tridentine or Traditional Latin Mass) and the Dominican Rite. If I get ambitious enough I would like to add the Liturgy of the Hours after that. I hope this is what you were looking for. And I am always interested in any feedback - positive or negative - and any suggestions.

James
 
It is still (and probably always will be) a work in progress. But I have put together this site adtelevavi.110mb.com/ because I too wanted to be able to look up a passage and find out when it is used at Mass.

Right now it covers the Ordinary Form of the Roman Rite (which is what you are most likely looking for) as well as Feasts particular to 2 Religious Orders - the Carmelites and the Dominicans.

It does not appear that Matthew 22:23-30 is ever used at Mass. Psalm 137, however, is used several times.

Psalm 137:1-6 is used:
4th Sunday of Lent Year B Responsorial Psalm
Friday 12th Week in Ordinary Time Year II Responsorial Psalm
Wednesday 26th Week in Ordinary Time Year I Responsorial Psalm

and Psalm 137:1 is used:
Feast of Saints Michael, Gabriel, and Raphael (September 29th) Communion Antiphon
Mass for Various Needs and Occasions: In Thanksgiving Communion Antiphon (1st Option)

I am slowly working on adding the Extraordinary Form of the Roman Rite (the Tridentine or Traditional Latin Mass) and the Dominican Rite. If I get ambitious enough I would like to add the Liturgy of the Hours after that. I hope this is what you were looking for. And I am always interested in any feedback - positive or negative - and any suggestions.

James
Hey, thank you for the link to your index. It looks really useful. I’m just trying to figure out how to find the calendar date based on what you’ve posted? As far as the daily lectionary goes, are we in year I or II? We just finished year B in the Sunday lectionary right? So that won’t come around again for nearly another 3 years…
 
k, I get Friday, June 25, 2010 for Ps 137.

Can anyone else whose smarter than me confirm that?

Also, is there an easy way to figure this out? The precise date I mean.
 
I have a Lectionary search tool (one of several) that tells you when at Mass a particular section of Scripture is read during the Liturgy of the Word. It also cross-references the readings with the Catechism.

Psalm 137
4th Sunday of Lent - B (Lect. #32)
First Reading: 2 Chr 36:14-16, 19-23 [Catechism: 2172]
Responsorial Psalm: Ps 137:1-2, 3, 4-5, 6
Second Reading: Eph 2:4-10 [Catechism: 211, 654, 1003, 1073, 2796]
Alleluia Verse: John 3:16 [Catechism: 219, 444, 458, 706]
Gospel: John 3:14-21 [Catechism: 219, 432, 444, 458, 678-679, 706, 2130]

Week 12 - Fri - II (Lect. #375)
First Reading: 2 Kgs 25:1-12
Responsorial Psalm: Ps 137:1-2, 3, 4-5, 6
Alleluia Verse: Matt 8:17 [Catechism: 517, 1505]
Gospel: Matt 8:1-4 [Catechism: 448, 586]

Week 26 - Wed - I (Lect. #457)
First Reading: Neh 2:1-8
Responsorial Psalm: Ps 137:1-2, 3, 4-5, 6
Alleluia Verse: Phil 3:8-9 [Catechism: 133, 428, 2653]
Gospel: Luke 9:57-62 [Catechism: 544]

We never hear Matthew 22:23-30 at Mass.
 
If you can get access to the Lectionary [the Book used by the Lector at the Ambo] there is an index of Readings in the back. I think there are two tables - one for Sundays etc and one for Saints. It lists the Bible sections in order with a note of which masses use that reading.

At least that is how the old copy I have is set up. I presume it is standard.
 
I have a Lectionary search tool (one of several) that tells you when at Mass a particular section of Scripture is read during the Liturgy of the Word. It also cross-references the readings with the Catechism.

Psalm 137
4th Sunday of Lent - B (Lect. #32)
First Reading: 2 Chr 36:14-16, 19-23 [Catechism: 2172]
Responsorial Psalm: Ps 137:1-2, 3, 4-5, 6
Second Reading: Eph 2:4-10 [Catechism: 211, 654, 1003, 1073, 2796]
Alleluia Verse: John 3:16 [Catechism: 219, 444, 458, 706]
Gospel: John 3:14-21 [Catechism: 219, 432, 444, 458, 678-679, 706, 2130]

Week 12 - Fri - II (Lect. #375)
First Reading: 2 Kgs 25:1-12
Responsorial Psalm: Ps 137:1-2, 3, 4-5, 6
Alleluia Verse: Matt 8:17 [Catechism: 517, 1505]
Gospel: Matt 8:1-4 [Catechism: 448, 586]

Week 26 - Wed - I (Lect. #457)
First Reading: Neh 2:1-8
Responsorial Psalm: Ps 137:1-2, 3, 4-5, 6
Alleluia Verse: Phil 3:8-9 [Catechism: 133, 428, 2653]
Gospel: Luke 9:57-62 [Catechism: 544]

We never hear Matthew 22:23-30 at Mass.
Wow, that’s a neat site. Thanks.
 
Greetings Liturgy Forumers!

I was wondering if there is any web page or resource out there that will let me search the daily or weekly lectionary schedule for when a particular passage of scripture will be read at mass.

For example, I would like to know precisely what day on the calendar Psalm 137 will be read at Mass, and also Matthew 22:23-30.

But this is a question that comes up regularly for me for many passages of Scripture, and I was wondering if there was any way to search for when and if a random passage will be part of the daily readings.

Thanks for any tips.
Use the Lectionary itself. Your parish has one if you don’t and it includes a table showing when passages from the Bible are read.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top