When you're too busy to pray.... You're too busy!

• Thread starter Thread starter Fizendell
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Fizendell

That was the line I took from the homily yesterday. I was visiting Bloomington, IL and that’s the tidbit I carry from Father’s great homily about carving out time for God in our DAILY lives.

This thread is also about what people on this board do, or would like to do, to live a more devout life.

I posted a poll about what it means to be a devout Catholic and I thought it was neat that it has come back recently and there are more thoughts about it. It’s been six months since I posted that poll and I have learned so much about what it means to follow Christ.

I have read Introduction to the Devout Life by St. Francis de Sales three times. Each time I get something new out of it. I’m on my second reading of Imitation of Christ by Thomas a Kempis. I found another book that is modeled after that called Imitation of Mary and find it to be just as inspiring.

We all know that Saint Paul told us: “faith without works is dead.” And I think in the beginning stages of renewing one’s commitment to Christ, life is very self-centered. And so I wanted to know what more I should be doing, what I should be thinking, what I should be studying. But it seems that those who have been on their journey longer have found that it is not all about “me” and what makes “me” feel more devout. In service to others, we bring glory to God.

So… where am I going with this? I would love to know how those of you who find life to be busy - family, work, school, church, friends, extended family, self, home, etc. - when do you carve out time for prayer? What have you found to be the most effective means of keeping your life centered on God?

Help those of us who need to know the details of the faith how we keep it together when our worldly lives seem too overwhelming! Your (name removed by moderator)ut is truly more valuable that you may know!

thanks!

I believe it was St. Francis of Assisi that said one should strive to pray for an hour a day; if you’re busy, two.

Certainly we ought to set aside time for prayer, but in Carmelite spirituality, everything we do is prayer if we offer it to God. So, caring for family, work, and even recreation can be prayer. If we are busy, we are busy, but that doesn’t mean that we are not praying. Any thought, intention or aspiration raised to heaven while we do the dishes or care for children or work at our jobs, are all a part of our prayer life and a gift to God. 🙂

40.png
Della:
Certainly we ought to set aside time for prayer, but in Carmelite spirituality, everything we do is prayer if we offer it to God. So, caring for family, work, and even recreation can be prayer. If we are busy, we are busy, but that doesn’t mean that we are not praying. Any thought, intention or aspiration raised to heaven while we do the dishes or care for children or work at our jobs, are all a part of our prayer life and a gift to God. 🙂
This is so true and it is a way that I am able to stay focused and connected in my daily doings. I offer up prayers of thankfulness and intentions when the moment arises.

Yesterday, I said a rosary while mowing the grass, although it I didn’t count it in my daily prayers. I usually say a scriptural rosary while walking on the treadmill. If I don’t have time to walk, I’ll say it while driving to work.

How about fasting? That’s a form of prayer, and you can’t be too busy to fast.

NotWorthy

I find myself running into this problem recently. I am so busy doing things that when I get home I basically crash. I make sure I pray (usually only about 5-10 minutes) when I lay down to go to sleep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back