Where can I find info about St. Joseph?

• Thread starter Thread starter christopher-m
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

christopher-m

I wish to learn as much as possible about St. Joseph. Unfortunately, Sacred Scripture provides only that which is necessary to tell the Good News. Does anyone know of authentic Catholic literature on St. Joseph and where it can be located? Thanks. Wishing all a Blessed Christmas!

The present pope has written an outstanding spiritual reflection upon the life of St, Joseph, entitled Guardian of the Redeemer, available online at the EWTN library or the Vatican webiste.

http://www.tanbooks.com/index.php/page/shop:flypage/product_id/12/keywords/joseph/

**The Life and Glories of St. Joseph
******By: Edward Healy Thompson

tanbooks.com/shop_image/product/life0075.jpg http://www.tanbooks.com/shop_image/design/spacer.gif
No words of St. Joseph are recorded In Scripture. In fact, little mention is made of him there. Yet, despite these seeming limitations, the Church nonetheless possesses an indescribably rich knowledge of St. Joseph and of his cultus. This book will astound most readers both with its scope and with its profundity. Based mainly on Scripture, but supported also by Tradition and the depositions of saints, it is a carefully reasoned analysis of the entirety of that great saint’s role in the history of Salvation and the life of the Church. Includes details about his spiritual life and noble lineage; how he was prefigured in the Old Testament; his relationship to Mary and Jesus; why he has been named by Pope Pius IX “The Patron of the Universal Church;” and so forth. Many beautiful insights.

Related items

http://www.tanbooks.com/shop_image/design/spacer.gif
tanbooks.com/shop_image/thumbnail/manu0088th.jpg A Manual of Practical Devotion To St. Joseph
Rev Patrignani, S.J.
$17.50 Details Add to Carthttp://www.tanbooks.com/shop_image/design/spacer.gif tanbooks.com/shop_image/thumbnail/sain1418th.jpg St. Joseph With The Christ Child

$9.00 Details Add to Cart

Home Page
tanbooks.com/

While I may look to some of the sources already offered, I am often pleased with the minimal knowledge we have of St Joseph. When visiting a Sisters of St Joseph house, I once observed a poster/painting by one of the sisters that I contemplate often. It read:

**Not much is known about Joseph.
He was a Husband,
Worker,
Father.

And he had Dreams.**

St Joseph, Pray for us,
tee

40.png
christopher-m:
I wish to learn as much as possible about St. Joseph. Unfortunately, Sacred Scripture provides only that which is necessary to tell the Good News. Does anyone know of authentic Catholic literature on St. Joseph and where it can be located? Thanks. Wishing all a Blessed Christmas!
The Protoevangelium of James written about A.D. 120 by an anonymous Catholic author mentions St. Joseph, beginning in paragraph 9.

40.png
christopher-m:
Perhaps the Josephite Fathers and Brothers may help you:

josephite.com/

Blessings!

G.Grace

St. Teresa of Avila dedicated her first foundation to St. Joseph, and wrote in her autobiography that any request she made to him in earnest prayer was granted. He is a faithful intercessor before Jesus.

My pastor gave a beautiful message the last week in advent about the heroic virtue practiced by St. Joseph, who was known by his contemporaries as a just man.

The betrothal was a very sacred contract entered into prior to marriage in those days, and it was about two years’ duration. At the end of the period, the groom took his espoused into his home. Mary, being found with child, was not giving Joseph the details, preferring to leave it up to God.

Certain that he was not the father, he could have justified his celibacy before everyone who might possibly accuse him of a premarital union, affirming that it was not his sin. Mary would have been stoned to death as the penalty, but Joseph had no intention of exposing her to this public humiliation and possible death.

How great was his love for her and his virtue! Surely many eyebrows may have been raised in rash judgment concerning the “sinfulness” of these two, but they would have been very, very wrong. I pray that St. Joseph will teach us patience in bearing the scorn of others who wrongfully assume we have sinned or done somethng displeasing to God. May it also teach us not to judge the hidden deeds of another, but leave them to God who alone sees the heart.

In the past, we heard about St. Joseph often. The week before Christmas, I had the honor of doing a homily on St. Joseph. I can’t remember when I had heard a talk on St. Joseph. This world needs a strong example of faith and love by a man. Joseph, a husband and foster father of the Holy Child is a great example to all dads, granddads, and foster parents. On EWTN this morning, the homliy spoke about how divorce and same-sex unions are causing disfunctional children.

There is a great organization dedicated to St. Joseph that will send you a beautiful little booklet, several times a year, about St. Joseph. It is: PIOUS UNION OF ST. JOSEPH
971 East Michigan Ave.
Grass Lake, MI 49240 or www.ServantsofCharity.org

The pseudo-gospel of Matthew is another text from whcih the church get information about Joseph. I only learned of it recently and wish I would find a written version in a book; I don’t like reading online for that long.

newadvent.org/fathers/0848.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back