Where can I find nice affordable Saint paintings?

• Thread starter Thread starter dizzy_dave
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dizzy_dave

I’m looking for nice affordable paintings of Saints like Therese, Maximilian Kolbe, St. Michael, Joseph, Mary, Benedict, Sacred Heart, Immaculate Heart, I’m also looking for an affordable Mary statue (indoor) 2-3 feet and painted and a 2-3 foot crucifix. I can’t find these items anywhere unless I want to pay a small fortune for them.
Any idea’s?

I don’t know about paintings but if I want a picture of a saint I print one off from the internet and put it in a frame.

from me? hehe I’m an iconographer. What size paintings are you looking for and what is your price range?
You can find local artists by checking out your local galleries/ colleges and high schools. You can commission work from them =)
When you have an artist work directly for you they can choose materials according to your budget.
–K

I picked up some Italian lithographs/prints of Christ and Mary at my Church’s bookstore recently. The prices started at two bucks a pop for ones 8 1/2" x 11." They look sorta like large holy cards.

Why not paint your own Saint painting?

It’s easy to do. Get a holy picture of your Saint. Grid out the picture in squares, and reproduce the picture a square at a time on canvas.

You can buy a pre-stretched canvas in any crafts store, but I suggest you take out the staples and remount the canvas on a piece of plywood using thumbtacks. Then when the paint dries and shrinks it won’t twist the frame.
Don’t use canvas panels, they will warp and then what do you do with it?

I suggest using acrylic paints. They mix with plain water, dry in an hour, and don’t crack like oils.

If there’s no crafts shop near you, you can find an infinite number of art supplies on a website such as Dick Blick.

You can make a professional looking painting on the first attempt if you take the time to pay attention to details. Forget those half hour landscape painting demonstrations you see on PBS. Resolve to spend six months on your painting and paint accordingly. You will be amazed at the result.

This could be a fascinating lifelong hobby. Why not start today?

I change the picture on my computer wallpaper every so often. The color and details are very nice, and there are many appropriate images around. I usually use images I find as I read articles.

You could try an online art museum for a source of important images from the history of art.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back