Where can I obtain a Catholic Bible for a friend?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Patnos
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Patnos

Guest
I grew up Catholic, but the second Vatican council’s changes convinced me to leave the Catholic faith, so I’ve been a Protestant for the last ~25 years.

Anyway, I know a lapsed-Catholic lady who has developed a serious medical condition. I want to get her a Catholic Bible for her to read on her own, and considering I’m not Catholic, I have no idea where to obtain a Catholic Bible for her. I live in the Boston MA area, so can anyone point me to a store (or whatever) where I can obtain one.

Thanks,

Patnos
 
Hi,
I would google the internet for “catholic supplies in Boston Ma”
Or “Catholic stores in Boston Ma”

Or you might try looking those up in the Yellow pages.
And I believe Protestant supply houses sell Catholic Bibles.

I favor the Jersulem Bible. Another popular one is
The New American Bible.

Good luck and that is very thoughtfull of you.
 
Hi,
I noticed you have 5 posts with us. I hope you will stay with us for
more. I have personnally learned many things and have benefited
a great deal from everyone, especially those who are not catholic.
It also has opened my eyes up to things I was not even aware of.
So I hope you will stay with us at least to browse.
 
You can find a Catholic Bible at just about any book store - including Barnes & Noble or Borders. What makes it Catholic is the number of books in the Old Testament. A Catholic Bible has 46 books in the OT canon. The 7 books we have the Protestants dropped are Tobit, Judith, 1 Maccabees, 2 Maccabees, Wisdom, Sirach and Baruch. These 7 books are referred to as Deuterocanonical - and Protestant churches refer to them as “Apocrypha.”

The New American Bible is the text read at Mass. However, you can get a New Revised Standard Version for study purposes that is Catholic - provided it includes all 46 books in the OT. When in doubt, ask for guidance to the Catholic section.

There are also online stores like Amazon, Catholic FreeShipping.com and others that make ordering a Bible easy.

All the best to you!
 
Oh, and I totally agree with Fred - hope you stay around for awhile.

Having been brought up Catholic, you are always one of us and will always be welcome with open arms.

The Bible is a very thoughtful gift for your friend. I will add her to my prayer list.
 
I grew up Catholic, but the second Vatican council’s changes convinced me to leave the Catholic faith, so I’ve been a Protestant for the last ~25 years.

Anyway, I know a lapsed-Catholic lady who has developed a serious medical condition. I want to get her a Catholic Bible for her to read on her own, and considering I’m not Catholic, I have no idea where to obtain a Catholic Bible for her. I live in the Boston MA area, so can anyone point me to a store (or whatever) where I can obtain one.

Thanks,

Patnos
Ebay - and make sure that your friend reads a Thomas Nelson bible! I like this one


Thomas Nelson


and, The New Jerusalem Bi!ble with Apocrypha, Standard Edition: multi-colored hardcover
by Henry Wansbrough


Isn’t St Ignatius press located in downtown Boston? - Also, I love Boston! We were going to visit Martha Vineyard but it was closed for harvest. Also, if you really want the friend to have something nice - order the Magnificat! magnificat.com/

And don’t be such a stranger to the church ~you know, there are no lapsed Catholics! because there will never be a cut off time for the policy. Your friend as well as yourself will always find the door open…always!

In Isaiah 55, come and drink, and come and eat! You can come and eat and drink without price and without money! In Ezek 37 there’s a river flowing from the right side of the altar, and where the river flows, everything lives! There are many trees on the side of the river, there’s abundance of fish to eat, and there’s livestock where the river flows! In the New Testament, the Lord Jesus stood up and cried out in John 7:37, Whoever is thirsty, come to Me and drink!

There’s an old sayings, Where can we find God? Open up the door and let Him in!

Buy the Magnificat - and your friend will love it!
Mary
 
If you go into a book store and ask for a Catholic Bible, the salesperson may well not know which are Catholic Bibles.
The two most widely used Catholic Bibles are the New American Bible and the Revised Standard Version, Catholic edition. Since the person you are getting the Bible for may not realize that the Revised Standard version, a Protestant-prepared version, has been changed into a legitimate Catholic Bible, I suggest getting the New American Bible–or the Jerusalem Bible, the third leading Catholic Bible…
Someone mentioned the Orthodox Study Bible. However, this person no doubt is unaware that this is a non-Catholic Bible. Acrually it is a Bible for the Orthodox, and it includes books not in Catholic Bibles, such as 3 Maccabees and the Epistle of Jeremiah.
 
In this kind of situation, I would suggest the NAB (New American Bible). That is the one that is used at Mass, so it is the most familiar to most Catholics in the USA. [It is important to note that this is NOT the same as the NASB (New American Standard Bible) which is a common Bible used by Protestants, especially Evangelicals]. You can recognize most (all??) Catholic Bibles by the fact that they will contain a notice inside saying that they have received an imprimatur from a bishop. It should be near the page with the copyright/printer’s info.
A good place to find one is in any Barnes & Noble.

Thank you for your kindness to your friend. She is blessed to have someone willing to do her this great favor. God bless you for your efforts on her behalf.
 
If you go into a book store and ask for a Catholic Bible, the salesperson may well not know which are Catholic Bibles.
The two most widely used Catholic Bibles are the New American Bible and the Revised Standard Version, Catholic edition. Since the person you are getting the Bible for may not realize that the Revised Standard version, a Protestant-prepared version, has been changed into a legitimate Catholic Bible, I suggest getting the New American Bible–or the Jerusalem Bible, the third leading Catholic Bible…
Someone mentioned the Orthodox Study Bible. However, this person no doubt is unaware that this is a non-Catholic Bible. Actually it is a Bible for the Orthodox, and it includes books not in Catholic Bibles, such as 3 Maccabees and the Epistle of Jeremiah.
and fully aware of my own faith - catholic, when I mentioned it and also i gave info to what is my main bible that i use. however, i would hate to be considered as a someone mentioned (no doubt that you are unaware)

Contents - (OSB)

Apparently it’s the Greek Orthodox Canon… all the books of the Protestant Bible + the Catholic Deuterocanon + 1 Esdras, Psalm 151, Prayer of Manasseh and 3 Maccabees. 4 Maccabees is normally relegated to an Appendix (like their own “apocrypha”) and was left out this time. I don’t yet have a copy, that’s what I gathered from reviews on Amazon.com.
 
I grew up Catholic, but the second Vatican council’s changes convinced me to leave the Catholic faith, so I’ve been a Protestant for the last ~25 years.

Anyway, I know a lapsed-Catholic lady who has developed a serious medical condition. I want to get her a Catholic Bible for her to read on her own, and considering I’m not Catholic, I have no idea where to obtain a Catholic Bible for her. I live in the Boston MA area, so can anyone point me to a store (or whatever) where I can obtain one.

Thanks,

Patnos
Convinced you to leave?!?!

Come back, come back!

I would get her the Ignatius Catholic Study Bible: New Testament.

If you’d like to give me an address in a Private Message, I’ll send you two copies, one for you and one for her.

With love in Christ,
Pete

Help John Bugay
 
Continue:
Contents - (OSB)
Apparently it’s the Greek Orthodox Canon… all the books of the Protestant Bible + the Catholic Deuterocanon + 1 Esdras, Psalm 151, Prayer of Manasseh and 3 Maccabees. 4 Maccabees is normally relegated to an Appendix (like their own “apocrypha”) and was left out this time. I don’t yet have a copy, that’s what I gathered from reviews on Amazon.com.
***Also, and I would like to mention, the OSB - although not regard highly among some, the book gives some good information but also the OSB is in NKJV - so depending upon the preference of the reader some may or may not prefer this type of writing, again it all depends on the individual. I know some, who are (re) starting out., do. so before picking out a bible, try and get some details. ***

From one source:
While this omission undoubtedly will make the Study Bible more congenial to Protestant readers, it seriously distorts the actual teaching and practice of the Orthodox Church
While the NKJV is a generally acceptable text for the New Testament, its use for the Psalter is completely unacceptable. It is very unfortunate that the Study Bible uses a Protestant version of the Psalter in what claims to be a Bible for Orthodox Christians, following even the Protestant numbering of the psalms, rather than that of the Church.
Information:

The English style is that of the New King James Version (NKJV - which is recommended for readers), which was used as a template. The Old Testament was prepared under the auspices of the academic community of St. Athanasius Academy of Orthodox Theology, using clergy and lay scholars. The overview committee included fourteen archbishops, metropolitans, and bishops from various Orthodox jurisdictions, as well as eight priests and seven lay scholars. The Old Testament includes a new translation of the Psalms by Donald Sheehan of Dartmouth College.

The OSB addresses such questions as:

“Why is the Mother of God essential to the Faith? Who were the 70 Apostles? How is an Orthodox understanding of the Bible different from a Roman Catholic or Protestant understanding? In addition, the OSB provides basic daily prayers, a lectionary for personal use, and reproductions of icons in its pages.”

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orthodox_Study_Bible

***So there are some good and bad reviews on the use of this study bible??? I’m really surprised by this - considering the people who had put this together.

Mary
 
I’ve got to throw one in the ring and say that the douay-rheims is my favorite translation EVER, and is undeniably 100% catholic!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top