Where did the mortal sins come from?

• Thread starter Thread starter Willy1
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
W

Willy1

There is a verse in John that says “There is a sin that leads to death”. Wouldn’t this be turning away from Christ, not accepting his forgiveness, etc? I am a Catholic with a presbyterian parent so I believe that sin is sin and God will forgive because he loves us. So, why would the term mortal sin come up even though it is not mentioned in the Bible? (said like this “mortal sin”) Also, how did other mortal sins come up even though they are not in the 10 commandments or the Bible?

The very verse you quoted, says there’s distinction between types of sins, so where do you get the idea that Sin is Sin? Read the Old Testament, especially the Book of Leviticus, if there weren’t different types of sins, there wouldn’t be different types of sin offerings.

The Israelites would present themselves to the Priest and tell him what sin they had committed, “Confession” then he would prescribe the sacrifice that the person had to obtain “Purchase” to be offered to GOD in repayment of the sin.
The Israelites had different types of sacrifices and an important one was the “sin offering”.
Read II Samuel Chapter 24 it is full of rich detail on sin and redemption and payment for sin.
Of course they understood that even though they would be right with GOD the still would not be able to enter Heaven and be with GOD until the Redeemer came.
Peace!

Last edited:
Could they not enter heaven because Jesus had not yet died on the cross?

Ok, so did they just sit there as nothing until Christ died or just like dissolve and never get eternal life?

When they died they believed the just Israelites would join Abraham, Abel, Adam and all those that preceded them in the “Bussom of Abraham” a place not in Heaven and NOT in Hell. But where they did not suffer awaiting the promised Redeemer that would come and free them from this prison.
Jesus talks about this in the parable of Lazarus and the rich man.
Peace!

So, why would the term mortal sin come up even though it is not mentioned in the Bible?
It does come up: ‘…All wrongdoing is sin, but not all sin is deadly’’ - 1 John 5:17
‘Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived; neither the immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor homosexuals, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor robbers will inherit the kingdom of God.’ - 1 Cor 6:9-10

That is a typical Protestant position. To me, it is clear as water that St John understood that there are certain mortal sins (deadly) and so did St Paul (sins that will exclude from God’s kingdom). I trust the true Church to correctly interpret these verses and not one of 10,000+ Protestant denominations. Have a nice day.

But the term mortal is not brought up. That is just a list of sins.
“Mortal” in this sense means “deadly” or “leading to death,” as in a mortal wound. So when John speaks of “sins that lead/do not lead to death,” that could just as easily be translated as “mortal sins and sins that are not mortal.”

There is a verse in John that says “There is a sin that leads to death”. Wouldn’t this be turning away from Christ, not accepting his forgiveness, etc? I am a Catholic with a presbyterian parent so I believe that sin is sin and God will forgive because he loves us. So, why would the term mortal sin come up even though it is not mentioned in the Bible? (said like this “mortal sin”) Also, how did other mortal sins come up even though they are not in the 10 commandments or the Bible?
Due to the fall of Adam and Eve sin entered the world, through death. The death is of two kinds: death of the body and death of the soul. Although the soul is immaterial and immortal it is said to die when it is without the state of grace, which may be lost after baptism by turning away from God through serious sin. Even though God offers forgiveness of the eternal consequences, that forgiveness is conditional upon repentance. So if at death of the body the soul has a state of grace one is truly saved.

Last edited:
there verse you mentioned says there are different levels of sin. John 5:16-18 so it is mentioned in the bible.

Catholics state for a sin to be a mortal sin it needs to follow 3 conditions… it must be a grave manner, committed with full content and knowledge. In other words, you know what you’re doing is very wrong, you do it anyway, and are okay with it. Basically a Mortal Sin would be the same as turning your back on God.

Mortal Sins are biblical… as well as Venial sins.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back