Where is your sting, death?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Augustine
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Augustine

Guest
A couple of years ago, visiting my parents, I stopped by the local cathedral for confession. I was surprised that the priest used to be an associate pastor of my parents’ parish 20 years before. After the confession it dawned on me that I was confessing to this priest the same sins as when I was a young man.

In spite of having a deep prayer life including daily mass, the divine office, eucharistic adoration, spiritual direction, profession at a third order, I am still a prisoner of old vices.

Worse yet, people at my parish stop me to say how much they admire my holiness, which is doubly terrible to listen to: firstly because it tickles my vanity, secondly because I know that I give them the wrong impression. I can’t help thinking how good a hypocrite I must be to fool so many, especially myself, about being a faithful disciple of Our Lord. Of course, in my vanity, I could probably win a prize for it too.

It’s not all: I have been divorced for just over a month. So, not only am I shackled by old vices, I fail to mold my life after Jesus miserably by compounding my infidelity in a very public manner. Yet, even those who know about this situation state their admiration for my holiness…

Perhaps I’m just an actor who can play the pious role very well. I think that I can do church day after day in public, but, in my privacy, a rather lonelier one lately, I feebly fight my demons who torment me and whom I cherish.

I heard the good news and sought His richness, His freedom, His countenance, His comfort, His favor. I gladly did all I thought that I had to do to follow Him, but am still poor, imprisoned, blind, oppressed, disgraced.

I’d rather be lukewarm or cold than just hypocritically hot.
 
I once said something similar to a priest. He simply told me that it’s good that I realized I’m weak and a sinner. Now that I know, do the good that I can.

He didn’t dwell on how bad I was, and he didn’t try to tell me I was really a good person either. He didn’t focus on me. He tried to redirect my thoughts to loving and serving God the best way that I could.

Giving up now would be giving in to false humility. Pride. People often want to give up, because they’re not doing as well as they think they should.

But then as Christians, we have to remind ourselves whom we doing this for. If it’s truly for God, then let’s remember he wants us to keep trying, now matter how many times we fail.

What you’re experiencing is a temptation but also an opportunity for you to grow in humility. Thank God you’ve recognized you’re a sinner and have weaknesses. Accept that you’re not perfect, pray to God, and continue to strive to do better.

Best wishes!
 
Well both Judas & St Peter betrayed Our Lord. St Peter had more trust in Our Lord, & loved Him in spite of himself & his (St Peter’s) faults.

God is allowing you to.continue in your faults for some reason, & maybe this is just another long term temptation of the devil (as despair always is).
When you feel like this, go to mass twice as often & pray harder.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top