Where should I start in the bible?

• Thread starter Thread starter Anna_s_Mom
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Anna_s_Mom

I was just given a bible (yesterday) where should I begin reading it? Should I start at the beginning and read it straight through? should I start with proverbs? then where?

I would suggest to start with the Gospel of Matthew, then the Gospel of John. These will give you the basis of Christianity.–nicolo

I agree with Nico, the place to start is with the Gospels.
Another good part to read, once you have read those, is the Psalms. Psalms are good because they have so many different prayers in them. The writers prayed, regardless of how they felt, they just talked honestly & openly to God.

But right now, the Gospels are wonderful. Learn about the Lord Jesus’ life here from them before you try anything else.

Please, don’t try to read the Bible through from start to finish! That is the hardest way that I know!! Reading it that way is best saved for when you are very familiar with the Bible; it is not a helpful way to begin!!
God bless.

Note - all that is below is IMHO. And I’m no bible scholar, I haven’t even read the whole bible.

Yep, always start with Matthew, everyone does that and it is a good idea. After all, the Gospels are the most important part of the bible - what’s the point of the prophets predicting the coming of the Messiah if he didn’t actually come? What’s the point of St Paul writing letters on how to live if Christ didn’t come to teach the truth?

However, what you will find is that Mark and Luke are very similar to Matthew, so you might leave them for later after you’ve read Matthew. Reading John is okay though, it’s a bit different.

Acts is a good one to read also, gives you some insight into how the church started, and the kinds of things that the first Christians taught and did.

Then read Genesis and Exodus I guess. That’s the ‘other beginning’ of the bible, a lot of stories you will know there (ever watched ‘The Ten Commandments’?)

The epistles (letters of Paul and the other Saints) can be quite difficult. Fortunately, they’re read a lot at mass (the 2nd reading) so the priest might explain them a bit. If you read them and don’t toally get it, maybe talk to a priest or a (Catholic) spiritual director / theologian / wahetever. Don’t ask protestants about them because they use the epistles to support all kinds of false beliefs.

The books of ‘History’ (Joshua etc.) can be quite boring sometimes and at other times seem irrelevant. Although there are some pretty good stories there, they are not really a priority to read. Of these, 2 Maccabees is the one I’ve seen referenced most. There’s a story about sitcking to your faith no matter what, and another which explains why we pray for the dead.

Proverbs is a great book to read. Lots of useful everyday advice (although most of it is directed at young men). I haven’t looked into Psalms or the other songs and poetry (like Wisdom, Job etc) that much, didn’t really appeal to me.

As for the prophets. Sirach is commonly used as a reference in the CCC and sounds like a good one to read. If you can get through it, Isaiah might be a good read, with a lot of links to the new testament. Minor prophets can be a nice easy read becasue many of them are short. One of the ones I read very early on was Jonah, because I liked the story.

Revalations - read it if you like, but don’t expect to understand it. There have been too many strange cults started by people who think they understand Revelations.

for you, since you are struggling so in your life right now, begin with the Psalms. Read one slowly and prayerfully each day. You will find all the emotions and troubles you have reflected in them. Then begin Mark’s gospel, the shortest, and read one section each day, slowly, prayerfully, think about it, journal about it. The first order of business is to pray with the psalms and to hear the good news of Jesus.

I suggest you go to the home page here at catholic.com and go to the readings of today, and then read them. They are the universal (Catholic) readings that are read in every Catholic Church all over the world for today. (just a suggestion.)

40.png
puzzleannie:
for you, since you are struggling so in your life right now, begin with the Psalms. Read one slowly and prayerfully each day. You will find all the emotions and troubles you have reflected in them. Then begin Mark’s gospel, the shortest, and read one section each day, slowly, prayerfully, think about it, journal about it. The first order of business is to pray with the psalms and to hear the good news of Jesus.
So many places to start! But I agree with puzzleannie that at this point in your life, the Psalms would be a great place for you to start. When you’re done, and then start on the Gospels, you’ll be amazed how the New Testament refers to Psalms often.

Everyone is giving you good suggestions. Do not overwhelm yourself. If at a later point you want a more in depth study there are plenty of resources for reading the Bible in a 1-3 year cycle. If you want a copy of these guides - PM me and I can email or postal mail them to you. Good Luck! Scripture can provide so much insight and healing to a person - whether they are grounded or struggling with their faith. God Bless!

Anna's Mom:
I was just given a bible (yesterday) where should I begin reading it? Should I start at the beginning and read it straight through? should I start with proverbs? then where?
As someone else suggested, the best way to get started is to read with the Church through the Liturgy. If you go to my web page linked below, you will find weekly reflections on the Sunday readings. You will also find lots of other tips for getting started.

Dear friend

I am a Catholic since birth, but it is only in recent years that I set out to read the Bible in entirity.

It depends on what you are hoping to do. By that I mean, are you hoping by some point to have read the entire Bible or are you looking to familarise yourself with the Gospel Message?

To read daily Scripture readings of the Church and to do this faithfully for many years will still not have covered the whole of the Bible. It will cover the crux of the Gospel Message.

I felt inspired to read the whole of the Bible. To omit the Old Testament to my mind was to not fully grasp Christ Jesus, so I began at the beginning. This has taken some time, but I thought, ‘what is the rush?’. There are some parts of the Old Testament that are a bit labourious to read with huge lists of who is related to who and how etc, however this is important to the Jews. I must admit I did skip those bits after scanning over them.

To begin with Genesis helped me to understand Church teachings of Christ Jesus being the Second Adam and to understand many concepts explained by St Paul in his letters in respect of concupisence for example as well as to understand the role of Moses in bringing back God’s people to a relationship with God and the fruition of this in Christ Jesus Who is God and therefore Love and the fullness of the Law. Which all of inturn led me to understand the living of the Law and it’s Spirit which is seen in Elijah. Which then in turn led me to understand the yearnings expressed for God in the Psalms for the coming of the Messiah and the setting free of God’s people from slavery to sin and the Fall and freedom to live in Love and to love God and each other.

I read the Bible a small portion at a time. There really is no excuse for not reading it cover to cover a person need only read a small piece every day and before long they have read it. I didn’t read the Bible without referring it to Church teaching and Tradition, I made constant parrallels between what the Catholic Church teaches and why. The Bible became for me a living Spirit, a Living Gospel and a Gospel to be lived and the Catholic Church became for me the home of that Spirit.

If you want to read the four Gospels, as I am sure you know, they may contain more or less the same content with some differences, but bear in mind they are specifically wrote to address certain aspects of Christ’s Life and His relationship to different people, for example Luke is the Marian Gospel (explains Mary and her relationship with Jesus and therefore with us).

However you can’t fail if you just pick up the Bible, pray to the Holy Spirit for guidance, understanding and enlightenment and then simply open the Bible and read what is before your eyes. It’s not an organised way of reading the Bible, but no place is a bad place to start to set off on a lifetime of reading, praying and meditating on Sacred Scripture.

Once you open the Bible and begin to read, you will return time and time again and read and re-read and as you do this it will become more and more alive to you and as relevant to you today as it was to those who experienced it and wrote it inspired by the Holy Spirit as it is the same Spirit that brings to human understanding the beauty of Sacred Scripture and the Living Word, Christ Jesus.

God Bless you and much love and peace to you

Teresa

This depends on what you want to accomplish. If you want to get a good overview, try this order:
Genesis, Exodus, Numbers, Joshua, Judges, 1,2 Samuel, 1,2 Kings, Ezra, Nehemiah, 1 Macabees, Luke, Acts

If want a good foundation, read John and Matthew. Follow up with the Psalms (I suggest one or two a day). You probably should begin going through Paul’s letters after this.

If you have never read a book in the bible from start to finish, I would recommend Mark or Luke. They’re easy reads and require no knowledge of Old testament theology. I think starting with Matthew is a mistake unless you have at least some knowledge of Old testament Judaism (Matthew was written for an audience assuming this). John also requires a decent commentary imho. Another good alternative would be to read the Scott Hahn/Ignatius bible study book of Matthew. That way you will get great guidance. Eventually Matthew and especially John are must-reads. Good luck! 👍
ps. You can’t go wrong reading some Psalms!

ps. You can’t go wrong reading some Psalms!
[/quote]

When all else seems to fail, the Psalms are always consoling and I feel the best place to start.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back