Which Bible?

  • Thread starter Thread starter gatewood1988
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gatewood1988

Guest
My husband is in RCIA this year and he is a Bible nut. I wanted to get him a nice Bible that could also be used for the family Bible as well. Which translation would be most accurate? I am torn between the DR and RSV.
 
My husband is in RCIA this year and he is a Bible nut. I wanted to get him a nice Bible that could also be used for the family Bible as well. Which translation would be most accurate? I am torn between the DR and RSV.
I just got the new Catholic NRSV in hard back which is very good!

the-hermeneutic-of-continuity.blogspot.com/2011/02/new-new-rsv-to-be-published-soon.html

But I have personally found the Ignatius Study Bible invaluable. It’s just such a shame it’s only the NT!

amazon.com/Ignatius-Catholic-Study-Bible-Testament/dp/1586172506/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&tag=scotthcom-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=1273603709&sr=8-1
 
My husband is in RCIA this year and he is a Bible nut. I wanted to get him a nice Bible that could also be used for the family Bible as well. Which translation would be most accurate? I am torn between the DR and RSV.
Lots of us Bible-nuts like the DR. It’s got the most history, and it’s a very beautiful English translation. Of course, nothing against the RSV either. Any self-respecting Catholic Bible-nut will have at least one of each ;). I know I do!

For what it’s worth, the RSV is my ‘go-to’ Bible when I’m quoting online or want to look up a quick passage. I find it to be a great balance between directly-translated accuracy and readability. When I want to hear a passage in that beautiful, old English form, I pick up my DR.

But you really can’t go wrong with either 🙂 God bless you!
 
My husband is in RCIA this year and he is a Bible nut. I wanted to get him a nice Bible that could also be used for the family Bible as well. Which translation would be most accurate? I am torn between the DR and RSV.
:hmmm: I have both. I love the “Old English” of the Douay-Rheims, with all the thee’s and thou’s! 👍 However, I tend to read my RSV-CE edition more simply because it is a “large print edition”, which makes it easier to read (poor eyesight 🙂 )!

As to “Which translation would be most accurate?”, IMHO, I don’t think one would be more ‘accurate’ than the other. I would go for the one he is most likely to read. There’s also the issue with the D-R naming some books and verses a little differently. Not a problem for me.

This wasn’t much help, was it? 😦 What the heck, flip a coin! You can’t go wrong with either a Douay-Rheims or a RSV-CE!

(Get him a Douay-Rheims! 👍 )
 
Depend on his and your and the family’s preference.

Those most focused on traditionalism tend to prefer the DR. While no translation is without its problem, the DR some more apparent ones than your more mainline translations. The language is beautiful and archaic, but this tends to make the complex theology of Paul and other sections much more difficult to understand than it already is.

The RSV is increasingly preferred by Catholics. It strikes the right chord in various ways, such as its word-for-word translation, it’s ease of comprehension, it’s more formal orthodox qualities, and, of course, many people use it because it’s the preferred translation of Catholic celebrities like Dr. Scott Hahn.
 
My husband is in RCIA this year and he is a Bible nut. I wanted to get him a nice Bible that could also be used for the family Bible as well. Which translation would be most accurate? I am torn between the DR and RSV.
I recommend the Douay-Rheims. Although both are good. I prefer the Douay in my studies.
 
I’ve had the Ignatius Study Bible of the New Testament, which is based on the Revised Standard Edition-2nd Catholic Edition.

You want this Bible in your house. For less than $20, there’s nothing to think about.

No, this doesn’t have a bunch of nice pictures in it – wouldn’t call this a family bible.
No, for $20 this is not a deluxe leather Bible, it’s paper.

But, just on the few chapters of First Corinthians that I’ve been studying. I think it’s a very, very good study bible, with scriptural cross references, study AND brief commentary notes.

I have the leather bound RSV-2CE and I read 1 Co in a short time. But, most of it went over my head. The Ignatius Study Bible, on the other hand, teases out what St Paul is talking about and who he is, etc.

It also has some cross references to the Catechism of the Catholic Church.

Even these features exhaust me. I’m basically just getting started, and I think I just talked myself into going back and picking up CCC references which I skipped over.

Opinion: if you want a Bible, you want a study Bible. For the price, get this one. If you’ve got $100 or more, get the DR – later.

Someone who has experience with the Navarre Bible should tell us about it. There’s a compact one-volume New Testament, and that is supposed to be better than the whole set of individual books on the New Testament. I find that hard to believe. I don’t understand the reasoning behind this. I hear that the Navarre is “good” but I’m not convinced. I can’t imagine that there’d be very many people who have compared these versions of the Navarre.

At my local (12 miles away) Catholic books store, I saw two whole other sets of Catholic Bible commentaries – if you like sets of books. The thing I can say about them is that I’ve been looking at these books for years, and they’ve never sold them off, which may be telling us something about them. I don’t think they’re even complete sets anymore.

I think a serious lay Catholic who is interested in private Bible study ought to mentally and actually set a budget of about $3000 for lifetime expenses on books, and build or buy a nice bookcase for all these purchases. 10 to 15 versions of the Bible. The DR, Haydock, Ignatius, Navarre, Baker Catholic Series, etc. I’ve also found a place for some high quality Jewish commentaries from the Jewish Publication Society – these are written at a depth that the Catholic commentaries aren’t written, but you need to keep their point of view in mind.

Sure, and get a copy of the (now aging) New Jerome Biblical Commentary. It’s very tough to follow. It’s a scholarly book, not for casual reading. You feel very small reading this book. There’s some of its commentary that is very liberal and not very mainstream. This is the stuff they usually don’t want us to hear in church on Sunday. It seems to me to go across the line of what Catholics should believe. It’s a deep book and not cross-referenced to the Catechism of the Catholic Church. It was published at about the same time, and the CCC is very strictly doctrinal, while the NJBC makes you wonder, sometimes.
 
For a ‘Family Bible’ you might be interested in the Side by Side Douay Rheims and Clementina Vulgata that Baronius Press sell. I have one and it’s lovely! Not the kind of thing you can carry around too easily which is why I consider it more a family/heirloom sort of Bible.

Really you can’t go wrong with the RSV for the everyday catholic though, I have a nice leather one from amazon which has small tabs for the book names for quick access. Great in this respect for study except it’s severely lacking in notes.

The New Jerusalem Bible has copius notes and is very readable, however the use of the tetragrammaton ‘YHWH’ spoils this Bible for me!
 
Someone who has experience with the Navarre Bible should tell us about it… I hear that the Navarre is “good” but I’m not convinced. I can’t imagine that there’d be very many people who have compared these versions of the Navarre.
I hope they will. I have heard it is quite good, especially if you can read it in Spanish. Unfortunately, all the English versions I have seen have been a bit expensive.
I think a serious lay Catholic who is interested in private Bible study ought to mentally and actually set a budget of about $3000 for lifetime expenses on books, and build or buy a nice bookcase for all these purchases. 10 to 15 versions of the Bible. The DR, Haydock, Ignatius, Navarre, Baker Catholic Series, etc. I’ve also found a place for some high quality Jewish commentaries from the Jewish Publication Society – these are written at a depth that the Catholic commentaries aren’t written, but you need to keep their point of view in mind.
Ah! If only I had taken my faith as seriously as I should have in my youth. But, alas… 😦
Sure, and get a copy of the (now aging) New Jerome Biblical Commentary. It’s very tough to follow. It’s a scholarly book, not for casual reading. You feel very small reading this book. There’s some of its commentary that is very liberal and not very mainstream. This is the stuff they usually don’t want us to hear in church on Sunday. It seems to me to go across the line of what Catholics should believe. It’s a deep book and not cross-referenced to the Catechism of the Catholic Church. It was published at about the same time, and the CCC is very strictly doctrinal, while the NJBC makes you wonder, sometimes.
I have a copy of the New Jerome Biblical Commentary, (copyright 1990, 1968 Prentice-Hall, Inc.). I would recommend it, as well. I have heard some crticisms of it, but I still find it informative. However, I do try to have a dictionary handy when I read it! 🙂
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top