Which book on St. Therese

• Thread starter Thread starter Mamamull
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mamamull

Hi,
My surgeon asked about my t-shirt the other day – it was a St. Therese of the Child Jesus with (the little way) on the front. I was thinking a book about St. Therese would be a nice thank you gift and a bit of evangelization. (it was my gall bladder and all is well)

I have read “Story of A Soul” but are any of the books that are poetry, etc, perhaps a better intro book for a male surgeon.

Thanks for your (name removed by moderator)ut.

Besides “Story” I’ve only read one other book about Therese which is “I Believe In Love.” Recommended by my pastor, who has a great devotion to St. Therese and all things Carmelite, it is actually a series of retreats given by a French priest on St. Therese’s “Little Way.” It made a great impression on me in that it helped me appreciate the concept --and even the possibility – of a childlike abandonment to God. Couple that with the devotion to the Divine Mercy and one begins to know how much God loves us and wants us to trust and love him.

I should add that, as a red-blooded American male, I have an aversion to sappy, girlish stuff, but the way Therese’s theology is presented in these talks was anything but.

If you go to sistersofcarmel.com , they have a full page of books by St Therese, including one that is all poetry,& books about her…I hope they have the right one for you…

40.png
Fidelis:
Besides “Story” I’ve only read one other book about Therese which is "I Believe In Love." Recommended by my pastor, who has a great devotion to St. Therese and all things Carmelite, it is actually a series of retreats given by a French priest on St. Therese’s “Little Way.” It made a great impression on me in that it helped me appreciate the concept --and even the possibility – of a childlike abandonment to God. Couple that with the devotion to the Divine Mercy and one begins to know how much God loves us and wants us to trust and love him.

I should add that, as a red-blooded American male, I have an aversion to sappy, girlish stuff, but the way Therese’s theology is presented in these talks was anything but.
Thanks for the recomendation . . . very timely for me as I’ve been looking for books on Therese as well. As another “red-blooded American male” I about fell out of my chair laughing at your comment . . . I can certainly relate.

Dave.

Another book I’ve heard is very good (but haven’t read myself) is:

“John and Therese: Flames of Love: The Influence of St. John of the Cross in the Life and Writings of St. Therese”

But looking at the original poster’s request, this book might be a little to “specific” for his needs. “I Believe in Love” seemed to have some good reviews . . . and it appears to be a more general overview of things.

I think I Beleive in Love is the best introduction to Theres of Lisieux. It is a personal meditation, that has reflections of virtues (like how to reconcile confidence in faith with humilty), how to apply them in life, and pulls teachings from Therese’s writings, Bibilical quotes, and occasionally other people of the Church. It addresses issues that everyone encounters in life, and demonstrates Therese’s spiritual wisdom for all walks of life. The chapters are relatively short and could be read one a night before bed.

Of course her autobiography was good too, and I read that first, but it took me a while to warm to Therese through her autobiography, because she talks so mucha bout her family in the beginnign and sh had such a different family than mine (very strong in faith, financially secure, supportive of her decision to follow a vocation at an early age). And she always knew what she wanted to do with her life, whcih is kind of different than my experience. What impressed me the most from her writing, was the spiritual philosophy that she introduced; like how all souls are different types of flowers, how any action can be offered to God, her guidance for simple prayer, wanting to be love…ect. The books of meditations has the core crux of the spiritual philosophy.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you! Especially you red-blooded Americans – because this surgeon is likely a man who has little patience for sappiness, too.

I can’t miss the chance to evangelize our faith and I will get I believe in love.

As a convert, it is striking that we just can’t invite someone to Mass and think they will begin to understand our faith. When I was a fundy, it was pretty much the same week after week – ad nauseum. It didn’t take much ‘xplainin’.

I converted based on spiritual experiences and so I can’t make the claim to have read many of the books that have been written that explain our faith. I have delved into the CCC. However, giving a copy of the Catechism is a bit over-board --even for me.

Thanks again, all. I knew I could count the fine people here to help me out.

40.png
Mamamull:
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you! Especially you red-blooded Americans – because this surgeon is likely a man who has little patience for sappiness, too.

I can’t miss the chance to evangelize our faith and I will get I believe in love.
I just ordered this book as well the other day as a result of this thread.

This “red-blooded American” will keep your “red-blooded American” in his prayers. 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back