Which Vulgate am I using?

  • Thread starter Thread starter prr
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
P

prr

Guest
I have just installed the Latin Vulgate e-sword module, as well as the Douay-Rheims English translation. I can only assume that the D-R was made from the traditional Vulgate (the edition from the 1500s, I suppose); but is there any way I can determine which “Vulgate” edition the Latin version is? Does anyone know of a chart or site that will list a few variant readings that might allow me to quickly determine which traditional Latin text I have installed? I know that the Vulgate has been updated in recent years as well… I’d just like to know for sure. Thanks.
 
Hmmm well if Wikipedia is to be trusted (see the link: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vulgate#Electronic_editions, the esword module is the Stuttgart (1969) Vulgate, which is rather surprising. Wikipedia says that the spelling of Eve’s name in Gen 3.20 (Hava) indicates that the edition is the Stuttgart. Interesting. I would have expected teh older Clementine vulgate edition to be used.

I’m not considering this issue closed—please if anyone can give me some more information I would be more than grateful.
 
Hmmm well if Wikipedia is to be trusted (see the link: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vulgate#Electronic_editions, the esword module is the Stuttgart (1969) Vulgate, which is rather surprising. Wikipedia says that the spelling of Eve’s name in Gen 3.20 (Hava) indicates that the edition is the Stuttgart. Interesting. I would have expected teh older Clementine vulgate edition to be used.

I’m not considering this issue closed—please if anyone can give me some more information I would be more than grateful.
Compare these to the one you have:

The Clementine Vulgate Clementine Text Project

The Stuttgart at this site

The *Nova Vulgata *is on the web at the Vatican.
 
Thanks for those links. If anyone has a list of sorts that would give me a few verses to look up, where they are different, so I could easily see which one I have, that would be great.
 
Thanks for the three links. I decided to do my own quick and dirty test–I chose Jn 7.53-8.11, the pericope de adultera, which has a lot of variants. Although each of the three Vulgate versions shared variants with the other two, each can be identified by its unique combination of variants. I tried posting the table I made here, but the forum blasted away all the lines and cells. You can see the doc I placed on my site:

paulrittman.com/pericope.doc

I’m pretty sure I was accurate. Of course if anyone sees anything amiss, feel free to let me know.

Oh i just saw you can attach a doc. If you’d rather get it from this forum, feel free. I will attach the doc to my post.
 
And the answer to my question—the E-sword module that has the Vulgate (downloadable from the e-sword site itself) is the Stuttgart version. Every variant on that chart matched the module that i installed in E-sword—which is unfortunate. It doesn’t have the verses in the traditional Clementine vulgate, such as the Johannine Comma (1 Jn 5.7b-8a), which I was hoping to see. I believe this Stuttgart is an attempt to reconstruct the original text of Jerome–am I wrong about that?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top