Who has had the most spectacular conversion of our time?

• Thread starter Thread starter RosaLydia
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

RosaLydia

My husband was telling me the other day how he prayed for the conversion of Osama Bin Laden. My first reaction was “that is impossible” but as soon as I had that thought, I realized that nothing is impossible for God.

We remembered the conversion story of St. Paul in the Gospel and that started us in the discussion of dramatic conversions and if we had heard of any “spectacular” conversion stories in our times.

Who do you think has had the most spectacular conversion of our time? (Preferably someone that was alive during your lifetime) I would love to read their stories.

My vote was for “Roe” of “Roe vs. Wade”.

Roe, followed by Bernard Nathanson, the doctor who performed some 75,000 abortions before he converted.

I vote for “me”, only because my own conversion (or reversion) has had the biggest impact on my own life.

Rather self-centered, i know… 🙂

40.png
Timidity:
I vote for “me”, only because my own conversion (or reversion) has had the biggest impact on my own life.

Rather self-centered, i know… 🙂
Come to think of it, that’s really the ONLY right answer, isn’t it!

Mel Gibson may not be a convert, but it certainly appears his religious views have changed.

Not a Catholic (I know of some Protestants from listening to Christian radio before deciding to revert back to Catholicism) convert but, Barry McGuire, Eve of Destruction had his life turn 180 towards Christ. Adolph Coors is another. If you ever had the opportunity to listen to Adolph Coors talk about his life I think you’d find his story fascinating.

Wish I knew some Catholic converts…anyone else?

Me. I used to sit in front of the TV listening to Howard Stern and laughing like a hyena. Now I find him and his show truly evil. Now I sit in front of the TV and watch Mother Angelica Live and it’s almost like feeling Jesus is sitting in the love seat across the room watching with me. 🙂

40.png
mercygate:
Roe, followed by Bernard Nathanson, the doctor who performed some 75,000 abortions before he converted.
My choice too.

Patty Bonds, sister of a famous professional anti-Catholic. She came to speak at my wife’s woman’s group and she says she was every bit as inspiring and humble in person as she is on TV (EWTN’s The Journey Home) and in the book, Surprised By Truth 3.

I looked up the amazing conversion of Dr. Nathanson. Here is the link.

*"Soon he will stand before the baptismal font and *
*renounce forever the world, the flesh, and the devil. *

*“I will be free from sin,” he says. "For the first time in my *
life, I will feel the shelter and warmth of faith." "

Thank you all for posting the conversion stories.

Keep them coming!

Rabbi Israel Zolli, the Chief Rabbi of Rome, who converted in response to the influence of Pope Pius XII.

Rats, the three I was going to mention are already listed: Norma McCorvey (“Roe” from “Roe vs. Wade” fame), Bernard Nathanson, and Fr. John Corapi.

'thann

40.png
hermit:
Jeffrey Dahmer
JMJ + OBT​

I won’t make light of anyone’s conversion, but prison conversions are quite common. At the same time though, the context in which they happen can often obscure the reality that they aren’t very “deep.” Now, Dahmer did not re-join society after his prison term (he was murdered during it, and it was for life anyway), but many inmates who do, and who have had conversions, don’t continue to live their Christian Faith very long after being released.

Again, I don’t want to question the authenticity of anyone’s conversion, but the statistics are pretty abysmal when it comes down to it.

By the way, that’s not to suggest that prison ministries should be marginalized. Rather, we need more chaplains and volunteers spreading authentic Catholicism. I think the “once saved, always saved” message and fundamentalist-protestant mentality is more often what gets preached to and embraced by the prisoners and among the prisoners.

Grace flowing through the Sacraments, received by open, properly catechized minds and souls can, will, and does change hearts in a much more lasting way. But this requires great patience and charity on the part of Catholics who will take the time to evangelize, who know and can explain the teachings of the Church, and who are themselves faitfully living out Her teachings.

In the Hearts of Jesus and Mary.

IC XC NIKA

for know scott hahn and david currie, they not only have a good story to tell but they can teach us so many things about our catholic faith. bless you all

I am familar with the conversion stories of Scott Hann and Fr. Corapi. Fr Corapi’s was another one of my favorite conversion stories! They are both very inspiring!
If anyone is interested, the Mary Foundation has free CDs with both their conversion stories.

Thank you all,

Lydia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back