Who is Elijah?

• Thread starter Thread starter Giggly_Giraffe
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Giggly_Giraffe

So, Elijah shows up this Saturdays Gosspol with Moses … I know about Moses through all the movies I’ve seen about him … But realize I know diddly about Elijah.

Elijah was a prophet sent to preach repentance to the 10 apostate northern tribes of Israel after they succeeded from the two southern tribes. This took place subsequent to the death of King Solomon.

King Solomon was a great ruler but his wealth and splendor came at a price - he ruled harshly, levying high taxes and conscripting workers to build his kingdom. When Solomon died, his son Rehoboam forsook wise council from the elders. He listened to the young men and promised to rule even harsher than his father.

he spoke to them according to the counsel of the young men, saying, “My father made your yoke heavy, but I will add to your yoke; my father chastised you with whips, but I will chastise you with scorpions.” (1 Kings 12:14)

The result was that the 10 northern tribes succeeded. They formed their own nation and set up not one but two golden calves to worship.

And they forsook all the commandments of the LORD their God, and made for themselves molten images of two calves; and they made an Ashe’rah, and worshiped all the host of heaven, and served Ba’al. (2 Kings 17:16)

Two calves indicate that they were twice as bad as the people who worshiped one calf at Mt. Sinai.

The ten northern tribes were known as the nation of Israel. The two southern tribes of Benjamin and Judah were known as the nation of Judah. Judah was by no means a faithful nation - they had their own problems, but Israel also had many problems and Elijah was sent into the “enemy territory” of the ten northern tribes of Israel to preach repentance.

Isiah walked right into the centers of pagan worship in the cities of Bethel and Dan, and did battle with the prophets of the false Gods. He was a sarcastic person, taunting the prophets of the false god Baal, and mocking their god…

And they took the bull which was given them, and they prepared it, and called on the name of Ba’al from morning until noon, saying, “O Ba’al, answer us!” But there was no voice, and no one answered. And they limped about the altar which they had made. And at noon Eli’jah mocked them, saying, “Cry aloud, for he is a god; either he is musing, or he has gone aside, or he is on a journey, or perhaps he is asleep and must be awakened.” (1 Kings 18:26-27)

Perhaps your god is asleep? 😃

Elijah did this battle with the prophets of the false god on Mt. Carmel, from where the Carmelite order of monks and nuns gets its name.

Elijah was taken up to God in a whirlwind - many see this as being assumed into Heaven - but not before giving his mantle and his spirit to his protege, Elisha, who also performed mighty deeds and prophesied to the 10 northern tribes about repentance.

-Tim-

It should also be mentioned that among the Carmelites and among Eastern Christians, particularly in the Middle East, St. Elijah the Prophet is highly celebrated as a great saint and a powerful worker of miracles. His intercession is frequently invoked.

I believe Elijah’s story can be found in 1 Kings 17 thru 19, and continues in 2 Kings 1 and 2. A friend recently reminded me that he was the second person to part the Jordan River, and his aide, Elisha was the third, on his return trip, after seeing Elijah taken up into Heaven by the chariots. Elisha had asked for a portion of Elijah’s spirit so he could also perform great feats like this for the glory of God.
My friend posed the question, ‘who was the first to part the Jordan?’ It took me a while to recall.
Elijah was seen by the Apostles, Peter, James and John, at the Transfiguration (Matthew 17:1-8), along with Jesus and Moses.
Jesus also referred to Elijah (Matthew 11:7-15), as being who John the Baptist came to us as.
He was a very important prophet.

Elijah was a prophet sent to preach repentance to the 10 apostate northern tribes of Israel after they succeeded from the two southern tribes. This took place subsequent to the death of King Solomon.

King Solomon was a great ruler but his wealth and splendor came at a price - he ruled harshly, levying high taxes and conscripting workers to build his kingdom. When Solomon died, his son Rehoboam forsook wise council from the elders. He listened to the young men and promised to rule even harsher than his father.

he spoke to them according to the counsel of the young men, saying, "My father made your yoke heavy, but I will add to your yoke; my father chastised you with whips, but I will chastise you with scorpions." (1 Kings 12:14)

The result was that the 10 northern tribes succeeded. They formed their own nation and set up not one but two golden calves to worship.

And they forsook all the commandments of the LORD their God, and made for themselves molten images of two calves; and they made an Ashe’rah, and worshiped all the host of heaven, and served Ba’al. (2 Kings 17:16)

Two calves indicate that they were twice as bad as the people who worshiped one calf at Mt. Sinai.

The ten northern tribes were known as the nation of Israel. The two southern tribes of Benjamin and Judah were known as the nation of Judah. Judah was by no means a faithful nation - they had their own problems, but Israel also had many problems and Elijah was sent into the “enemy territory” of the ten northern tribes of Israel to preach repentance.

Isiah walked right into the centers of pagan worship in the cities of Bethel and Dan, and did battle with the prophets of the false Gods. He was a sarcastic person, taunting the prophets of the false god Baal, and mocking their god…

And they took the bull which was given them, and they prepared it, and called on the name of Ba’al from morning until noon, saying, “O Ba’al, answer us!” But there was no voice, and no one answered. And they limped about the altar which they had made. And at noon Eli’jah mocked them, saying, "Cry aloud, for he is a god; either he is musing, or he has gone aside, or he is on a journey, or perhaps he is asleep and must be awakened." (1 Kings 18:26-27)

Perhaps your god is asleep? 😃

Elijah did this battle with the prophets of the false god on Mt. Carmel, from where the Carmelite order of monks and nuns gets its name.

Elijah was taken up to God in a whirlwind - many see this as being assumed into Heaven - but not before giving his mantle and his spirit to his protege, Elisha, who also performed mighty deeds and prophesied to the 10 northern tribes about repentance.

-Tim-
Thank you.

Happy to help. Please say a prayer for me, that I may be able to withstand temptation.

-Tim-
2848 “Lead us not into temptation” implies a decision of the heart: "For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also. . . . No one can serve two masters."156 "If we live by the Spirit, let us also walk by the Spirit."157 In this assent to the Holy Spirit the Father gives us strength. "No testing has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your strength, but with the temptation will also provide the way of escape, so that you may be able to endure it."158
2849 Such a battle and such a victory become possible only through prayer. It is by his prayer that Jesus vanquishes the tempter, both at the outset of his public mission and in the ultimate struggle of his agony.159 In this petition to our heavenly Father, Christ unites us to his battle and his agony. He urges us to vigilance of the heart in communion with his own. Vigilance is “custody of the heart,” and Jesus prayed for us to the Father: "Keep them in your name."160 The Holy Spirit constantly seeks to awaken us to keep watch.161 Finally, this petition takes on all its dramatic meaning in relation to the last temptation of our earthly battle; it asks for final perseverance. "Lo, I am coming like a thief! Blessed is he who is awake."162.
May St Joseph intercede for Tim to help him in this journey for God, through His Son, and in the Holy Spirit! Amen

Elijah is regarded as the greatest of prophets in Judaism. He is also considered as the harbinger of Moshiach or the messiah. In the transfiguration we see Moses who represents the law and Elijah who represents the prophets…

Also Elijah is believed to be coming at the second coming of Christ and have a similar ministry St John the Baptist did at Jesus’ first coming, preparing the hearts of the people.

Also Elijah is believed to be coming at the second coming of Christ and have a similar ministry St John the Baptist did at Jesus’ first coming, preparing the hearts of the people.
Ummm … What causes this belief??? Will Elijah come back as glorified? Is Elijah important to our other Abraham brothers (Jewish & Muslim)??? You opened a can a worms.

I don’t claim to fully understand this, but, Elijah is also referred to in Revelation 11. He and Enoch (Elias and Henoch) are the two olive trees and the two candlesticks that stand before the Lord of the earth.
This is possibly echoing Zachariah 4: 11&12, where Zorobbabel and Jesus are represented by two olive trees supplying the seven lights with oil.

Enoch, in Genesis before the Great Flood, and Elijah both ‘disappeared’ or were ‘assumed into Heaven’. The only two men who never died?

I don’t claim to fully understand this, but, Elijah is also referred to in Revelation 11. He and Enoch (Elias and Henoch) are the two olive trees and the two candlesticks that stand before the Lord of the earth.
This is possibly echoing Zachariah 4: 11&12, where Zorobbabel and Jesus are represented by two olive trees supplying the seven lights with oil.

Enoch, in Genesis before the Great Flood, and Elijah both ‘disappeared’ or were ‘assumed into Heaven’. The only two men who never died?
Yes, that is a very traditional Catholic belief! Here are some footnotes that I put in the Aquinas Study which are quotes from some great Catholic expositiors…

**11:3 two witnessess: **Many of the teachers understood these to be Enoch and Elijah. (St. Andrew of Caesarea) Enoch no doubt was translated, Gen 5:24, and so was Elijah, 2 Kgs 2:11, nor did they experience death, it was postponed, and only postponed, most certainly. They are reserved for the suffering of death, that by their blood they may extinguish Antichrist. (Tertullian On Soul 50) Some by these two witnesses understand not two individual men, but two kinds of witnesses. Whence Pannonius asserts that these two witnesses are the teachers and preachers of the church, who teach and preach the two Testaments, namely, the Old and the New. (Cornelius a Lapide)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back