. . . Who once WAS Mary?

• Thread starter Thread starter Absalom
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Absalom

Recently on EWTN I saw a short prayer in the commercial break that said something to the effect of “May the something something something woman who was once Mary pray for us” (sorry not the exact quote, but the important thing is the “who once was Mary”). Now, I consider myself pretty well versed in the faith, and I’ve never had a problem w/titles like “mediatrix” for Mary, but what the heck does “who was once Mary” mean? Is she not Mary anymore? If not, then who or what is she? That little phrase knocked me for a loop. I just thought . . . . what would a protestant think if he/she heard this? That she used to be Mary and now she’s a god?

Has anybody else seen this on EWTN? Or does anybody know anything about this?

Was it this prayer?:
**Prayer to The Lady of All Nations **

Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Father,
send now Your Spirit over the earth.
Let the Holy Spirit live
in the hearts of all nations,
that they may be preserved
from degeneration, disaster and wars.
May the Lady of All Nations,
who was once Mary,
be our Advocate. Amen.
In this context I think the idea is that Mary, who was once just Mary, has become the Lady of All Nations (i.e. has been raised to greater honor).

Yes, that was it. I understand it in context, but . . . I don’t know. It just doesn’t taste right, I guess. I don’t know why it’s this one thing in particular. I’ve no problem w/praying to Mary, the title of Mediatrix, or with the role of her fiat in salvation. I guess I’m just thinking about how it must sound to protestants.

I agree, the prayer suffers from unfortunate wording at best. I don’t know much about its origin, but I wonder if this isn’t another tortured ICEL translation from another language.

I’ve never seen it before. But I agree the “who once was Mary” line sounds a little strange. It has a sort of Mormon-sounding ‘deification’ flavor to it, although I’m sure that’s not the intent. The prayer would sound just as well without that line. And where did the “Lady of All Nations” title come from?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back