Who said this?

• Thread starter Thread starter RCF
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

RCF

Hello. I have often heard the quote that goes something like this, “Work as if everything depended on you. Pray as if everything depended on God.” I’ve heard it attributed to Augustine and Aquinas (and others). Does anybody know to whom this quote should really be attributed? Also, do you know where I can find this quote at a definitive source so I can make sure I quote it correctly?

Thank you.

Grace and Peace,
RCF

40.png
RCF:
Hello. I have often heard the quote that goes something like this, “Work as if everything depended on you. Pray as if everything depended on God.” I’ve heard it attributed to Augustine and Aquinas (and others). Does anybody know to whom this quote should really be attributed? Also, do you know where I can find this quote at a definitive source so I can make sure I quote it correctly?
“Pray as if everything depended on God, but work as if everything depended on you.”
—St. Ignatius

40.png
RCF:

Thank you.

Grace and Peace,
RCF
99% sure it was Augustine. I’m gonna go look though.

Isn’t that funny. Already two replies…score…Ignatius 1, Augustine 1.

40.png
RCF:
Isn’t that funny. Already two replies…score…Ignatius 1, Augustine 1.
If you go to marquette.edu/pages/home/manresa/facstaff/ which is a site of Marquette University, a Jesuit university and the Jesuits were founded by St. Ignatius attributes the quote to St. Ignatius.

While not quite as sure as NCJohn 😉 , I will defer to Marquette University as any university that would hire Al McGuire as its coach has a history of making great choices! 😛

40.png
Orionthehunter:
If you go to marquette.edu/pages/home/manresa/facstaff/ which is a site of Marquette University, a Jesuit university and the Jesuits were founded by St. Ignatius attributes the quote to St. Ignatius.

While not quite as sure as NCJohn 😉 , I will defer to Marquette University as any university that would hire Al McGuire as its coach has a history of making great choices! 😛
Hmmm…My mother went to Marquette for a couple years, and I agree that McGuire was a great coach…

I truly thought that it came from Augustine, from City of God, but I won’t be able to verify that until I go home. You may very well be right and my little brain, which is atrophying more by the day with my advancing age, may be disremembering. :rolleyes:

If I find different, I’ll be sure to come back and gloat a little (but only a little!). If I’m not, I will correspondingly come back and eat the humble pie. 🙂

40.png
ncjohn:
Hmmm…My mother went to Marquette for a couple years, and I agree that McGuire was a great coach…

I truly thought that it came from Augustine, from City of God, but I won’t be able to verify that until I go home. You may very well be right and my little brain, which is atrophying more by the day with my advancing age, may be disremembering. :rolleyes:

If I find different, I’ll be sure to come back and gloat a little (but only a little!). If I’m not, I will correspondingly come back and eat the humble pie. 🙂
No need to eat humble pie. Just admit that you made a statistically sound guess as it is easy to logically attribute something profound to St. Augustine. Unfortunately, sometimes that guess will be wrong. But your percentage is a little aggressive. I think you’d have been right if you’d said that you are 95% sure as it is reasonable that 5% of the other great quotes could be attributed to other Church Fathers. 😃

40.png
Orionthehunter:
No need to eat humble pie. Just admit that you made a statistically sound guess as it is easy to logically attribute something profound to St. Augustine. Unfortunately, sometimes that guess will be wrong. But your percentage is a little aggressive. I think you’d have been right if you’d said that you are 95% sure as it is reasonable that 5% of the other great quotes could be attributed to other Church Fathers. 😃
Well, I’ll go with 96.3%, but not a bit lower! 😉

Of course it’s also possible that Ignatius said it…but was quoting Augustine. (Ok, so maybe I’m stretching a little in desperation… :whistle: )

I know it’s often attributed to Cardinal Spelman, although I think we’d both agree he got it from somebody else.

Notice how carefully I’m wording all of this. I’m just not about to take a chance on making somebody with the word “hunter” in their name mad!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back