Who should read the gospel?

• Thread starter Thread starter INAdoration
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I

INAdoration

I was shocked to go to Mass recently at a nearby church and see a woman layperson reading the gospel and giving the homily. It turns out she is a pastoral assistant. Nowhere in the Redemptionis Sacramentum document put out by the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops does it allow this. In fact in #63, 64, 65 and 66 of this document it clearly states that the gospel and homily is to be given only by a priest or deacon.

A friend told me he asked the priest at this parish about it, and he was told to get used to it because soon there would be only lay people doing the whole Mass and Communion would be taken out from the tabernacle when it came time for Eucharist.

This sounds like a parish that has totally given up on vocations! And no wonder they don’t have any!

What do you think about this?

You are corrrect that only a priest or deacon may read the Gospel during Mass. If a priest was present during the Mass and this happened, then that was gravely illicit.

…there would be only lay people doing the whole Mass and Communion would be taken out from the tabernacle when it came time for Eucharist.

It would not be a Mass, but a communion service. I am not up on the rules for a communion service, but I believe a lay person may read the Gospel but not give a homily.

The priest was sitting on the altar watching the laywoman as she read the gospel.

40.png
INAdoration:
The priest was sitting on the altar watching the laywoman as she read the gospel.
I think your priest, given “get used to it” business, is guilty of the sin of despair. He has abandoned his duty, and seems to need a seriously purgative retreat. Or Prozac. Suggest that he read some Francis de Sales & get with his leadership responsibilities.

INAdoration,

I recently sent a letter to the bishop over this exact issue. I was told by a priest that the bishop would come down on this offense, but do not expect the priest in question to change his ways.

Are parish priest not held accountable by the church hierarchy for their dissent from the Catholic position?:hmmm:

40.png
INAdoration:
…sitting on the altar?? Please tell me this was a typo!

a pilgrim

40.png
INAdoration:
I was shocked to go to Mass recently at a nearby church and see a woman layperson reading the gospel and giving the homily. It turns out she is a pastoral assistant. Nowhere in the Redemptionis Sacramentum document put out by the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops does it allow this. In fact in #63, 64, 65 and 66 of this document it clearly states that the gospel and homily is to be given only by a priest or deacon.

A friend told me he asked the priest at this parish about it, and he was told to get used to it because soon there would be only lay people doing the whole Mass and Communion would be taken out from the tabernacle when it came time for Eucharist.

This sounds like a parish that has totally given up on vocations! And no wonder they don’t have any!

What do you think about this?
It does not happen in the Episcopal, Lutheran or Methodist Church and it will never happen in the Catholic church- But I would not be surprised if it became a Futurechurch parish.

Sorry, to clarify, he was sitting in the Sanctuary near the altar in his presider’s chair. He was definitely in approval and even encouraging the woman. He has also made statements that if Pope John XXIII had lived longer, we’d have women priests.

First of all, pray to the Holy Spirit to give you the words to speak when you approach your brother who is also your Holy Priest by the power of God. If you want to show the most of reverence for the sacred power he has been given, kiss his hand when you greet him–as a sign of your reverence for the Holy Eucharist, and for the fact that he has been given the power by God almighty to confect the sacrament. It is an awesome gift of Jesus Christ our dear Lord to this priest and through him to you.

I’m no expert, but the General Instruction of the Roman Missal (GIRM) is extremely clear on this. Redemptionis Sacramentum underlines it with a big fat red marker, highlights it with flaming fluorescent orange and draws arrows from all corners of the page making this so clear, that if one doesn’t know about it, one simply has not read it.

You could bring your priest a copy of the GIRM, and bookmark Chapter II, Section III, B, paragraph #65 and #66, especially paragraph 66:
  1. The Homily should ordinarily be given by the priest celebrant himself. He may entrust it to a concelebrating priest or occasionally, according to circumstances, to the deacon, but never to a lay person. (my emphasis)
    source: this USCCB web site pageThe General Instruction of the Roman Missal (GIRM). Order him one and give it to him with a bookmark on this chapter.
  2. It should be borne in mind that any previous norm that may have admitted non-ordained faithful to give the homily during the eucharistic celebration is to be considered abrogated by the norm of canon 767 ?1.145 This practice is reprobated, so that it cannot be permitted to attain the force of custom.
    source: Redemptionis Sacramentum
    How clear can it get?
Ask him if as a validly ordained Roman Catholic priest he is bound by the GIRM and by the instruction of the Prefect of the Congregation for Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments. If he says yes, then ask why he isn’t following the instruction of the GIRM and Redemptionis Sacramentum. If he doesn’t allow this, then you must go to the Bishop.

If your priest does not see the light after this reference, then write your bishop and ask the exact same questions. If that doesn’t work, you have the right and duty under Canon law to ask the Holy See why this is permitted to happen in your parish. Follow these steps to resolve the conflict in this order because they are biblical.

A few weeks ago, Colin Donovan had a few things to say a similar abuse in Seattle near where my parents live

God bless you and your priest. Pray for him, and so will I.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back