Who/What Is Opus Dei?

• Thread starter Thread starter retiredtxn
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

retiredtxn

I have read on several Threads here that some people are associated with Opus Dei, but I’m not sure what that is or what it “does”. Could someone explain it to me? I also came across a web site that calls it a “cult”, which made me even more curious…not that I was thinking about “joining” or anything. I just wanted to know what it is. Thanks.

Opus Dei is a personal prelature of the Catholic Church. It was founded in Madrid on October 2, 1928, by St. Josemaría Escrivá. Currently over 80,000 people from every continent belong to the prelature. Its headquarters, together with its prelatic church, are in Rome.

Here…read more…

opusdei.org/index.php?w=32

40.png
retiredtxn:
I have read on several Threads here that some people are associated with Opus Dei, but I’m not sure what that is or what it “does”. Could someone explain it to me? I also came across a web site that calls it a “cult”, which made me even more curious…not that I was thinking about “joining” or anything. I just wanted to know what it is. Thanks.
Here is a link to another thread on this subject…I encourage you to read all the posts to get an informed opinion.
God Bless,
Annunciata:)

40.png
retiredtxn:
Here is a link to another thread on this subject…I encourage you to read all the posts to get an informed opinion.
God Bless,
Annunciata:)

Opus Dei is also a Benedictine prayer book. I highly recommend it. In addition to the Liturgy of the Hours (Lauds, Vespers, and Compline), there are various prayers, thoughts from the Rule of St. Benedictine, various “Benedictine things,” and some information on practicing Lectio Divina. It’s not just for Benedictines though. You should be able to get it at just about any Catholic bookstore or through the Liturgical Press, ISBN 0-8146-2431-6.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back