Who's your favorite pope from more than 100 years ago?

• Thread starter Thread starter Genesis315
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Genesis315

I figured this might be a way for us to learn a little about some great popes that most of us are not too familiar with. This doesn’t have to be about your favorite pope, it can also be one that you might know a lot about or who is just really interesting. Ok, I’ll go first:

One of my favorite pre-twentieth century Pope would be Blessed Pius IX. He had a 32 year pontificate (1846-78), the longest of all time other than St. Peter. I figure God must have thought he was doing something right.

Pius IX defined the Immaculate Conception and called the first Vatican Council which defined papal infallibility.

He also consecrated the Catholic world to the Sacred Heart of Jesus.

Likewise, he commissioned the Red Scapular (which I am anxiously awaiting in the mail!).

And of course, he issued the famous encyclical Quanta Cura which was accompanied by the even more famous Syllabus of Errors of which the Catholic Encyclopedia had this to say: “it has done an inestimable service to the Church and to society at large by unmasking the false liberalism which had begun to insinuate its subtle poison into the very marrow of Catholicism.”

Strangely enough, the “Scourge of Liberalism” was actually considered to be the liberal candidate when he was elected and he even had some liberal-friendly policies at the beginning. When the liberals kept trying to get more and more compromise he saw the error of his ways and became the guy most of us think of when we hear his name. He also had to flee the Vatican to escape violent revolts in Italy, something that seems unimaginable today (although, who knows).

How about you guys?

40.png
FuzzyBunny116:
Hahaha, yeah, but we all know about that guy! 😃 How about the other “the Greats”? How about some quirky popes?

Alexander VI because he proves that being infallible has nothing to do with being impeccable. 😃 Also, he helped set the stage for my favorite historical period/subject: Caribbean privateering/piracy.

Scott

40.png
Genesis315:
I figured this might be a way for us to learn a little about some great popes that most of us are not too familiar with.
I just finished a research project that includes popes throughout history. (it’s a chronological Catholic history supplement for homeschoolers!)

It’s divided into time periods and happens to include various popes to research! Here’s one I like: Leo the Great . . .

Italian nobility. Strong student, especially in scripture and theology. Priest. Eloquent writer and homilist.

Pope from 440 to 461 during the time of the invasion of Attila the Hun. When Attila marched on Rome, Leo went out to meet him and pleaded for leave. As Leo spoke, Attila saw the vision of a man in priestly robes, carrying a bare sword, and threatening to kill the invader if he did not obey Pope Leo. As Leo had a great devotion to Saint Peter, it is generally believed the first pope was the visionary opponent to the Huns. When Genseric invaded Rome, Leo’s sanctity and eloquence saved the city again.

Called the Council of Chalcedon to condemn heresies of the day. Fought Nestorianism, Monophysitism, Manichaeism, and Pelagianism. Built churches. Wrote letters and sermons encouraging and teaching his flock, many of which survive today; it is for these writings that Leo was proclaimed a Doctor of the Church in 1574.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back