Why 3rd Class Relics?

• Thread starter Thread starter starrs0
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

starrs0

Whats so special about 3rd Class Relics? I can see the importance of a piece of a saint or a article that they used during life but why have a piece of cloth that was toched to their body whats the big whoop?

Well, for one, even these relics serve to remind us of the Communion of Saints.

See Acts 19:11-12
So extraordinary were the mighty deeds God accomplished at the hands of Paul that when face cloths or aprons that touched his skin were applied to the sick, their diseases left them and the evil spirits came out of them.

Thanks, Joe, I was just getting ready to quote that passage. We’re doing a Bible study in my parish here and that verse came as quite a surprise to this group of Lutherans …

So 3rd Class relics convey grace too? I reason I ask this is I have several relics (a 1st Class of St. Margaret Mary, a Agnus Dei, and 2 3rd class one from the Shroud of Turin and one from St. Faustina.)

Actually, in the early days of the Church, before 1st class relics were distributed, long ribbons were attached to the tomb of the saint. These were sent to various churches.

Today, these are often used by devout Catholics for a cure from a disease. They pray to God, through the intercession of that saint. This is how canonization comes about. A miracle is required for beatifcation, another for canonization.
One can feel priveledged and blessed to have these.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back