Why are people so cruel to each other?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Luvz2travel
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Luvz2travel

Guest
Reading all these posts it just makes me wonder? What do you think?

Is it the spirit of the devil lurking around, selfishness or just maybe just a learned behavior to look out for number or do what feels right…:takethat::rolleyes:
 
Reading all these posts it just makes me wonder? What do you think?

Is it the spirit of the devil lurking around, selfishness or just maybe just a learned behavior to look out for number or do what feels right…:takethat::rolleyes:
Satan takes good things and twists them just enough to pervert them. It’s actually a good think to look out for yourself and to do what is best for yourself.

But twist that a bit and you have selfishness, greed, and all kinds of evil.
 
I am not sure what you mean. Are you refering to the number of stories people post of being ‘done wrong’ or do you mean the responses to people?

In the case of the former, I try to keep in mind when reading that I am getting one side of the story. Even Dr Phil speaks to the fact that no matter how flat one makes a pancake, it still has two sides.

In the case of the latter, I try to remember that I cannot read tone of voice and so I try VERY hard not to judge someone’s intent. That being said, I have had my nose slapped with a virtual newspaper by a young person who claims to be quite faithful because he felt I was being disrespectful of him. I apologized and moved on.

And in case I got my formers/latters mixed up, I hope this made sense.🤷
 
Are you referring to the original posters and the problems they are facing or are you talking about the insensitive responses?
 
I am not sure what you mean. Are you refering to the number of stories people post of being ‘done wrong’ or do you mean the responses to people?

In the case of the former, I try to keep in mind when reading that I am getting one side of the story. Even Dr Phil speaks to the fact that no matter how flat one makes a pancake, it still has two sides.

In the case of the latter, I try to remember that I cannot read tone of voice and so I try VERY hard not to judge someone’s intent. That being said, I have had my nose slapped with a virtual newspaper by a young person who claims to be quite faithful because he felt I was being disrespectful of him. I apologized and moved on.

And in case I got my formers/latters mixed up, I hope this made sense.🤷
You get used to it once you’ve been on enough forums. 👍 I’m a veteran of sorts in that regard. I used to feel the same way about posters here, but after debating on other forums I find this one quite hospitable (but that’s probably just because I no longer pay attention to the pettiness that is common on nearly all forums). That being said, don’t let it bug you too much - there are still plenty of courteous posters out there.

When I come across someone who’s being petty or sarcastic (or possibly being so) I just ignore it. If it keeps coming then I’ll just make my points of debate more clear and collected. When you’re debating with someone who tries especially to throw you off with sarcasm or snooty remarks though, it’s usually just a contest of who’s going to remain sane longer than the other because that person is either insecure, in a bad mood, or has nothing much to go on. In that case I just go along with the ride, but I also now try my best not to be insulting while doing so, and its actually quite fun. 😃
 
Reading all these posts it just makes me wonder? What do you think?

Is it the spirit of the devil lurking around, selfishness or just maybe just a learned behavior to look out for number or do what feels right…:takethat::rolleyes:
Not everyone is cruel, of course. But I agree with you and I think it may partially be related to the fast-paced technological society we all live in and that younger people were raised in. This kind of society does not promote and facilitate face-to-face communication, but rather one-sided, impersonal, and often anonymous connections in which people don’t know each other and don’t even want to extend the time and effort to get to know each other. Others are therefore treated more like simple commodities to be disposed of when no longer needed, than like complex, multifaceted, human beings with hearts and minds.
 
Not everyone is cruel, of course. But I agree with you and I think it may partially be related to the fast-paced technological society we all live in and that younger people were raised in. This kind of society does not promote and facilitate face-to-face communication, but rather one-sided, impersonal, and often anonymous connections in which people don’t know each other and don’t even want to extend the time and effort to get to know each other. Others are therefore treated more like simple commodities to be disposed of when no longer needed, than like complex, multifaceted, human beings with hearts and minds.
So true - and you have described it so very poignantly :o
 
People are cruel on forums for a few reasons I believe. It is a easy way to make themselves feel superior to others whether it is about feeling morally superior (because they are more strict), to feel superior in intellect or knowledge (feeling like an expert), or to feel powerful by how their words can effect others. Another reason is because they can with little to no consequences. They can be cruel and mean, be a bully and the worst punishment you worry about is being banned (which isn’t a big deal because you can just create new accounts). Also since it is anonymous, it will not tarnish their reputation in the real world. Some are just angry people and use the forums to take out their anger in a way that won’t affect them in the real world.

Also when people aren’t seeing real people face to face it is much easier to say mean and hurtful things. They forget that there are real people with real problems and just care about themselves being “right” then the possible affects of what they say may have on other people. Many of us have those hurtful urges within us, but when we are able to hide behind the computer screen, we are much more likely to act on our hurtful urges.
 
Reading all these posts it just makes me wonder? What do you think?

Is it the spirit of the devil lurking around, selfishness or just maybe just a learned behavior to look out for number or do what feels right…:takethat::rolleyes:
Luvz2travel: Your question is an excellent one. I’m appalled at some of the rudeness, unkindness, and lack of scholarship displayed by CAF Posters. My first thought was that the cruelness is a generation gap thing. It appears that some younger “Catholics” don’t really know what it means to be a true Christian; i.e., they write as CATHOLIC Christians (fiercely defending “the faith”), when they need to write as Catholic CHRISTIANS, so to speak. (One of the worst defenders of Catholic rules and regulations was a seminarian who came across as stonehearted, accusing, and void of any feelings for others!)

I asked my youngest sons about this wrong-spirited Catholic forum attitude. Background: My son and his wife (both Catholic educated) are active, conscientious awesome Christians who have removed themselves from the rule of the Catholic Institution for reasons known only to them. They home-school their 7 living (out of 10) children, all conscientious Christians.

My son said that the unkindness is called “flaming,” on Blogs. He said he is certain that flaming on CAF is nowhere near as bad as it is on secular blogs. I told him CAF Posters called me anti-Catholic, a blasphemer, a rambler, etc., because I didn’t agree with their reality, their Spiritless understanding of Catholicism. He just smiled, and gave me that “Welcome to the real modern world, Dad” look, and said nothing.

As a Catholic convert (76 years ago) I find the modern day undercurrent of evil-spiritedness on CAF Threads to be scandalous. I really wonder what in the world non-Catholic Christians (about 50% of the world’s Christians!) must think of us “Catholics”!
 
Other forums are worse.

I have posted on a foreign policy forum where threats of genocide were routine and name calling was a daily occurrence. The forum was shut down for “security reasons”.

I think your concern is because you expect more from Catholics, and you should.

Some people have mentioned this in other threads. Some people have said it is directed against women. No one has really analyzed it.

Personally, I think part of it is that often people who learn some things about religion tend to fall into a “Pharisee trap” and think of themselves as superior. Their religion then becomes about judging others instead of encouraging others to move closer to God.

The other possibility is that in general the world is getting meaner. I believe this also. This is beyond the scope of this thread; however, there is some data that suggests that periodically the world moves toward a “critical mass” like a nuclear reactor that is getting ready to blow up. If that is true, then the “reactor” could be “leaking” (leaking meanness).
 
Aloha Dear Ones All:

No one but our Creator knows a person’s true intention, I do believe. But on this CAF Thread, there have been given reasonable possibilities as to why CAF Posters are so cruel to each other.

LSK: You mentioned that it is difficult not to judge someone’s intent. Very true. Maybe more use of icons would help. But no icon could ever soften the venomous writings of some CAF Posters, my experience.

Neildown: (Love that clever User Name!) You said not to let it “bug you too much - there are still plenty of courteous posters out there.” Good advice.

Meltzerboy: You have apparently had the courage to use your family name as your CAF User Name. Good show! Aware of the security risk, I used my own name, because, as a YAHWEH fearing (i.e., revering) person, I believe that if a Christian has something worthwhile to say for the common good, they should have the courage to say it without anonymity.

Your analysis of the “Why are people cruel” problem on this Forum was right on. Cruelty is a fruit of anonymity; e.g., anonymity is obviously a reason why people like Ku Klux Klan members, who hate blacks, Jewish people, and Catholic Christians, wear robes and masks. Most “Letters to the Editor” columns won’t allow anonymity.

As a Christian forum, I think CAF should courageously stop the anonymity. Imagine how the cruelness would dry up if CAF Posters had to use their own name as there CAF User Name! (I hope the CAF Administration members are tuned into this Thread.) 🙂

**TrixieMcGee: ** You rightly said: “Also since it is anonymous, it will not tarnish their reputation in the real world. It confirms my belief that ANONYMITY is the main cause of the cruelness on the CAF.

Regrettably, the CAF rules promote anonymity and an uncomfortable (non-Christian?) impersonal atmosphere. I suppose anonymity is for security, and I can understand that, to a degree. But on the other hand, we Catholic Christians are supposed to be personal, loving, and healing, and not just zombie parrots without personalities, spewing out canned proclamations to defend the Roman Catholic Institution and its teachings.

The whole mission of Christ Jesus was one of teaching and healing, and most of His teaching was about healing. A church that does not heal is no church at all! And we ARE the Church. I dare say that, that’s what bothers us the most about the cruelness of CAF Posters. If our purpose for participation on the CAF is not to learn, teach and/or assist the Spirit of Christ Jesus’ healing, then forget it!

Monicad: You advised that we should, “Keep on praying, God is good!” Amen! Amen! My experience is that Prayer (with love, “the power of the cross!”) is very powerful. I speak from many years of experience where awesome healings of bodies, souls and spirits have been miraculously healed, through a prayer group’s prayer. Healing of the scandalous undercurrent of evil-spiritedness in some CAF Threads is not insurmountable for our loving Creator. Let’s keep praying.

Dedo: You mentioned the “Pharisee trap.” Exactly! Good point! I have had the greatest “cruelty problems" with the “Traditionalists,” “Orthodox,” or whatever these Catholics like to be called. One of the cruelest proudly indicated that he was a Catholic seminarian. After receiving a few stripes from him for not agreeing with his pharisaical ways, I thought, “Wow! Is this young man in for a rude awakening when he arrives at the first parish he’s assigned to!”

Yes, as you say, the world is getting meaner, and is moving toward a “critical mass.” Once again, the world is moving toward totalitarian-socialist governments as it happened in the 1930s and 1940s. (This time, with the promotion of U. S. bureaucrats who are friends of the anti-Jewish, anti-Christian Muslim Brotherhood as well!) World War II took a chunk out of my life, and what’s happening now gives me the shivers. We all know what happened under German National Socialism (Nazism). I fear for the worst, but hope for the best, with prayer.

Nevertheless, we Catholic Christians are to be IN the world (as the voice, hands and healing heart of the Spirit of Christ Jesus, the Holy Spirit), but not OF the world, with all of its hate and cruelness (regrettably, that includes some CAF Posters as well.)

Shalom,
Richard
 
Thanks everyone for your responses. To clarify I wasn’t just refering to the forums but the world in general. Maybe I should have titled it why are people in this world so cruel to each other? or something along those lines. Though many are correct I have noticed many cruel or unfeeling replies in the forums as well. Thanks again for your (name removed by moderator)ut.
 
Thanks everyone for your responses. To clarify I wasn’t just refering to the forums but the world in general. Maybe I should have titled it why are people in this world so cruel to each other? or something along those lines. Though many are correct I have noticed many cruel or unfeeling replies in the forums as well. Thanks again for your (name removed by moderator)ut.
Aloha** Luvz2travel**:

Thanks for clarifying your question. We can only speculate as to why people of the world are so cruel to each other, and we may only speak from our own knowledge of history, experiences, and observations, as you know. However, I sense that human cruelness is not instinctive, it is a learned behavior.

Hang on to your hat, I have one word to explain a major reason why people of the world today (including some CAF Posters) are cruel: RELIGION. Take a look around, and you will see what a part religion plays. The Jewish people of Israel and throughout the world, and those Christians who are their friends, have been attacked and are at risk. Christian nations are at war with radically religious, hate filled clergy and leaders of the Nation of Islam which has no boarders. They will give no quarters: We have a choice, Islam, with its Sharia law, or death. And what has brought about this hatred and cruelty?

As much as we love the Catholic Church, we Catholic Christians cannot (and should not!) hide from the historical record of the Catholic Institution commonly known today as the “Roman Catholic Church.” The Institution of the Catholic Church (perhaps the greatest influence on the world during the history of civilization) did its share to set a bad example for acts of cruelness against Jews, other Christians, and Mohammedans, as you know. We need not go into the gory details of numerous Crusades, Inquisitions, pogroms and other cruel persecutions which were encouraged by leaders of the Catholic Institution. Note, I specifically mention the Catholic Institution, and not “The Church,” for a very good reason, as I’ll explain later.

As difficult as it is, we Catholic Christians cannot hide from the historical record of evil perpetuated by the Roman Catholic Institution. As faithful Catholic Christians we must be courageous and accountable for what our Catholic Institution has done in the past and, in some ways, is still doing. We must be as courageous as was Jesus before the Sanhedrin, which cost Him His life by crucifixion, and as courageous as was St. Joan of Arc, when clergymen of the Catholic Institution ordered a horrible death by fire for the young girl who remained faithful to God, to the end.

Let me explain. I learned something of great importance from the late Joseph Cardinal Suenens, which may have saved my relationship with the Catholic Institutional church. One of several books Cardinal Suenens wrote was “A New Pentecost?” In it, he explains that there are two dimensions in the Church, the Institutional Dimension and the Charismatic (spiritual, invisible) Dimension. He said that the Institutional Dimension is to SERVE the charismatic dimension. He went on to say that while the two dimensions cannot be separated (they make up the Church), there has always been conflict between the two dimensions.

Throughout the centuries, hate and cruelness in the Catholic Institution began to take over whenever its leaders began to use the Charismatic Dimension to serve and promote the Institutional Dimension. Human weakness and sin is forever present, and we cannot deny that it continues to exist in the Catholic Institution when there is a continuation of scandals amongst its leaders (e.g., sexual, financial, and cover-ups by some of our bishops).

We are beginning to pay for the cruelness of leaders of the Catholic Institution of the past toward Islam and its Muslims. They have long memories. It is once again, religion against religion, and we won’t see the end of the cruelness of it during our lifetime.

Read the Book of Revelation again. It may be more than just a tome written by St. John to encourage the persecuted Christians of his day, as some leaders of our Catholic Institution may have us believe.

Peace,
Richard
 
Aloha Luvz2travel:

It is interesting how this Thread has faded away. I pray that it is because typical posters (usually the younger Catholic Christians I have noticed), are beginning to realize that to have power of the Spirit of Christ Jesus in our writings, we must lead with LOVE: “Love is patient, love is kind…it is not rude…quick-tempered…it does not rejoice over wrongdoing but rejoices with the truth…” (1 Cor. 13) Jesus whole message may be described with one word – love.

Peace,
Richard
 
Thanks everyone for your responses. To clarify I wasn’t just refering to the forums but the world in general. Maybe I should have titled it why are people in this world so cruel to each other? or something along those lines. Though many are correct I have noticed many cruel or unfeeling replies in the forums as well. Thanks again for your (name removed by moderator)ut.
Because the human race is not civilized yet (people murder for money, for emotional satisfaction/release, etc… even members of their own families). As an uncivilized human race our behavior reflects that reality.

Peace,
Bill
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top