Why did God punish all of humanity for the rebellion of Adam and Eve?

• Thread starter Thread starter WhiteDove
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
W

WhiteDove

Why did God punish all of humanity for the rebellion of Adam and Eve??? šŸ™‚

Iā€™m not sure we can really call it a punishement from God so much as a consequence of Sin. That is, God fully warned a&e that they would die if they ate. They ate and so they lost everything. It is like parentā€™s who squander the familly fortune. The kids didnā€™t do anything wrongā€“its just that they inherit a vault that is devoid of treasure and it doesnā€™t matter how blameless future generations are, they canā€™t get back what isnā€™t there. (At least by their own power.)

Scott

A better question would be, ā€œWhy did Adam and Eve punish all of their children by walking away from God?ā€

Dearest white dove

Good question I have wondered this myself, then when I sin, it is very clear!! šŸ™‚ Because we are all Adam and Eve, we all sin and we are all short of the glory of God, short of perfection. If any person here today without the benefit of Christ Jesus, they would all have done the same thing Adam and Eve did. I think God knew we would sin against Him, (Heā€™d have to, He is outside of time), so the original sin of Adam and Eve, is our very sinful nature, that we excuse our sins, sin out of our own pride and wants. God knew this would be true of all of humanity, but still He made us all, because He embraces us in our sins for those who are righteous, although they may fall, they have a DESIRE a real love of God to return to Him. This is why He sent the Word, His Son Christ Jesus to redeem us in His light, love and glory, without this, without Jesus, we frankly, had no hope. In baptism in Jesus Christ we relinquish the original sin of our first parents, adam and eve (in other words our own sinful nature) and strive towards the Divine, in the love of the Trinity, purely in trust upheld by the Trinity, with a sincere heart and desire of union with God.

Therefore, God loves humanity beyond any realm we can imagine!! God is so very good.

God Bless you and much peace and love to you

Teresa

If God knew in advance that Adam and Eve would fall, that leads to the obvious questions: a) did they really have a free will, and b) unless God had planned for the whole ā€œfall of mankindā€ thing then why did He let them do it?

To explain a) Iā€™ve often said that just because you know something will happen doesnā€™t mean you caused it or required it.

If Godā€™s ā€œoriginal planā€ was that they would not sin and be able to stay in paradise, then how is it possible that they thwarted it, really? Couldnā€™t God have prevented it, or He didnā€™t want to? Why would God have tested them, if there were no other humans to learn from it and if he already knew their hearts? (In modern legaleze we might say God was guilty of providing an ā€œattractive nuisanceā€ by having the one tree they couldnā€™t eat from and nothing to protect them from it.)

Then thereā€™s the whole problem with their using human language to document what happened in the Bible when there was no human language to begin with. How many years after Adam and Eve was their language available to describe in excrutiating detail what actually happened with the first humans, and how could that story have been passed down through the generations? This whole story is so absurd (or at least confusing) that I relieved to learn that according to my childrenā€™s high school religion teachers, Genesis and Revelation are not to be interpreted literally. Nowadays I donā€™t worry about whether Genesis stories are literal or not.

I picked the closest choice to my belief, which was that ā€œAdam and Eve were really symbols for an inner spiritual journey that we all have made.ā€ Iā€™m not totally happy with it, because Iā€™m not claiming they were or werenā€™t ā€œreallyā€ anything, but I do believe that if one looks past the literal translation into the allegorical possibilities one might find something useful to learn about mankind and sin, and not just something to argue about with science teachers.

Alan

Well it isnā€™t right or wrong to believe in either theory. You can believe in evolution, there is nothign to say you canā€™t, or you can believe in the Adam and Eve story, as long as you believe God created humanity, the world and all that is in it. This is really a basic of Christian belief. I donā€™t think this is what White Dove is asking (put me right white dove if not!! šŸ˜ƒ ).

What she is asking in her question, is if, you accept and take literally or not (as the explanation may not be dissimilar if you see Adam and Eve as imagry for humanity) Adam and Eve were created as laid out in Genesis, then whatā€™s your ideas on why God punished all of humanity thereafter.

Guess first thing that springs to my mind, is that there had to be at least one man and one woman to make more people, this is why I personally accept that Adam and Eve story. God knew in advance His son would die for the whole of humanities redemption, the Mass is a single event in our time that transcends all time because it is of God, as God is timeless. You are at calvary everytime you celebrate Mass, He is made present in all His humanity, divinity and spirit as at that time.When Lord Jesus celebrated the last supper, this was the first Mass, it was a valid Mass because all that is of God transcends time.

God Bless you and much love and peace to you

Teresa

40.png
WhiteDove:
Thatā€™s not how it works. God gave Adam and Eve an inheritance, just the same as if a human father left vast riches to his children to pass down from generation to generation. If someone in the line squanders the inheritance, itā€™s no longer available for future generation. Adam and Eve chose to throw away that inheritance.

Actually I think the original sin was pride.

Pride exalts itself, and then is humbled. A human being just canā€™t be satisfied with life. With ā€œintelligenceā€ comes a desire to control, and to be like God. The only problem is the human brain canā€™t control everything at once. It is only capable of focusing on one or maybe a few things at once, so it is impossible for any human to be in charge and do as good a job as God could do. As an engineer, I am always asked to help enable managers ā€œplay Godā€ in that they want to control some aspect of their environment and they hire me to get it done. The only problem is, we control one aspect and then get another aspect out of whack. I think the original sin of pride was mankindā€™s first step into engineering. I want to know the ā€œtruthā€ so I can control things; that is both part of my false self and my profession.

Alan

Iā€™d agree with you Alan, friend the first one to sin against God was satan and His sin was pride, then He tempted us humans into the same sinā€¦and we did it. Satanā€™s sin was not only Pride, it was jealousy, it was greed, it was vanity, it was sloth in as far as he did nothing to work for the creation of humanity it was not his work, it was many number of this, but the origin of all his sins was prideā€¦the start of the rot, is pride.

God Bless you and much love and peace to you

Teresa

I am sorry if I missed it, but no one has mentioned that gift that God gave Manā€¦FREE WILL. A&E had a free will. Without a free will they would not be capable of loving Godā€¦is that correct?

Why? Because Adam and Eve, being the first human beings, were representative of the entire human race. It is as if, through them, we all sinned.

If they had not sinned, we would have inherited all their preternatural (spelling?) gifts, as well as Sanctifying Grace. But they did, and they lost those gifts, and Sanctifying Grace, too, so we are born without this Grace, and with weakened will and darkened intellectā€¦ :mad:

40.png
Exporter:
I am sorry if I missed it, but no one has mentioned that gift that God gave Manā€¦FREE WILL. A&E had a free will. Without a free will they would not be capable of loving Godā€¦is that correct?
Dear Exporter,

You bring up an interesting point. If we canā€™t love God without free will, then how can God command us to love Him? If we love Him because we fear Him then it really isnā€™t free will driving our love.

I guess the command to love God must be more of an invitation, because it doesnā€™t make sense to command somebody to do something that only has merit if itā€™s done as a free will decision. Does it?

Then again maybe I have foot-in-mouth disease again.

Alan

40.png
AlanFromWichita:
If God knew in advance that Adam and Eve would fall, that leads to the obvious questions: a) did they really have a free will, and b) unless God had planned for the whole ā€œfall of mankindā€ thing then why did He let them do it?

To explain a) Iā€™ve often said that just because you know something will happen doesnā€™t mean you caused it or required it.

If Godā€™s ā€œoriginal planā€ was that they would not sin and be able to stay in paradise, then how is it possible that they thwarted it, really? Couldnā€™t God have prevented it, or He didnā€™t want to? Why would God have tested them, if there were no other humans to learn from it and if he already knew their hearts? (In modern legaleze we might say God was guilty of providing an ā€œattractive nuisanceā€ by having the one tree they couldnā€™t eat from and nothing to protect them from it.)

Then thereā€™s the whole problem with their using human language to document what happened in the Bible when there was no human language to begin with. How many years after Adam and Eve was their language available to describe in excrutiating detail what actually happened with the first humans, and how could that story have been passed down through the generations? This whole story is so absurd (or at least confusing) that I relieved to learn that according to my childrenā€™s high school religion teachers, Genesis and Revelation are not to be interpreted literally. Nowadays I donā€™t worry about whether Genesis stories are literal or not.

I picked the closest choice to my belief, which was that ā€œAdam and Eve were really symbols for an inner spiritual journey that we all have made.ā€ Iā€™m not totally happy with it, because Iā€™m not claiming they were or werenā€™t ā€œreallyā€ anything, but I do believe that if one looks past the literal translation into the allegorical possibilities one might find something useful to learn about mankind and sin, and not just something to argue about with science teachers.

Alan
God could have prevented the sin of Adam and Eve but that would have compromised their free will which is a great (but potentially dangerous) gift from Him. The great mystery is this: God is both all sovereign and we have free will. It seems like a contradiction and a paradox but itā€™s still true. Human beings are too finite and limited to completely understand it.

40.png
WhiteDove:
Adam and Eve were all of humanity.

The results of their sin play out in all humanity.

God bless.

Anna

I agree that the sin of Adam and Eve was pride.
They were the first to say to God, ā€œThanks, but Iā€™ll do it MY way.ā€

Godā€™s goodness is such that if we are exposed to Him directly we cannot help but love Him; in effect, our free will would be compelled.

So we must first, using our free will, choose Him freely.

The angels also faced a test. To do it Godā€™s way, or theirs. Some chose to do it their way.

Just thought of something else. Even if Adam & Even had NOT sinned, thereby preserving for their descendents all the preternatural gifts plus sanctifying grace, any of US could have sinned at any later time, with the same bad effect (as we still in fact, do.)

40.png
JimG:
Just thought of something else. Even if Adam & Even had NOT sinned, thereby preserving for their descendents all the preternatural gifts plus sanctifying grace, any of US could have sinned at any later time, with the same bad effect (as we still in fact, do.)
Now thatā€™s one I hadnā€™t thought ofā€¦ interesting. Annunciata:)

Following ā€œthe planā€ā€¦the decendents of that fallen individual would be born with original sin, causing a distinct branching within mankind. For sure, that would have been an interesting turn of events for our world.

40.png
WhiteDove:
The effects of Adam and Eveā€™s sin was passed onto all their descendants. For instance, if our grandfather promised our father that he would inherit one million dollars if he would not drink alcohol until his 21st birthday. But our father did drink [sinned] before his 21st birthday and hence he didnā€™t get the inheritance [paradise]. Thus we, his descendants are poor today [no paradise] because our father failed the test. Yet if our father had passed the test, we, his children would have been very wealthy today. Our grandfather didnā€™t actually punish us. He punished our father.

Gerry šŸ™‚

I think ā€œpunishā€ is the wrong way to word the question.

You could rephrase this question a little:

Isnā€™t it amazing how God made good out of a bad situation via Adam and Eveā€™s sin?

Every time I see a new child come into the world, I see God working a beautiful miracle. The pain of child birth is there, but the love of that child grows. Weā€™re all here due to Adam and Eveā€™s sin it seems. There is so much here to accomplish for Godā€™s will. We are participants in His will for us all - what a great gift! šŸ™‚

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back