Why did you become a Christian?

• Thread starter Thread starter Daniel27
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Daniel27

What was the sparking moment in your life that lead you to Christ?

Baptized a Catholic, raised a cAtholic. I’ve had my difficulties but I never wasn’t a believer in Christ.

My parents lead me to Christ. Born Catholic, never strayed, never will.

What was the sparking moment in your life that lead you to Christ?
I almost died, that was where belief in God started, but not belief in Christ.
It’s a long story, and one day, I’ll tell it for everyone to hear.
August 6, 1988, when I was baptized.
That was the year I was born (in March), but I was not Baptized until 31 May 2009
I never wasn’t a believer in Christ.
I wish I could say the same, but as it is, I am glad Jesus died for me.
My parents lead me to Christ. Born Catholic, never strayed, never will.
I can say “never will”, at least, even if I struggle.

I left the Church as a teen but later began to seek truth on my own, in a world that didn’t seem very interested in it, in truth, that is, so often preferring falsehood, and selfishness. I found it in the Bible, to my surprise, and became Protestant later on. While I fell in love with the book, especially the New Testament, the primary reason was Jer 31:33-34, the most important New Covenant prophecy which is quoted in Hebrews 8 & 10. That made sense of the faith and the gospel more than anything I heard before. Much later yet I would come to realize that the Catholic Church taught it all better than the rest; it was myself that needed to change and grow up and recognize my limitations, failings, and sin, not the Church.

Anyway, without the Christian God, the God of sheer goodness and love, the world is basically hopeless, meaningless, purposeless and futile.

Because we know that Jesus was crucified. I was taught [when I was a muslim] that the crucifixion was made up. Now I know that that’s impossible because all of the early historical sources say that He was crucified. 1 Corinthians 15:3-4 says “For I delivered to you as of first importance what I also received, that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, and that He was buried, and that He was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures, and that He appeared to Cephas, then to the twelve”. This is considered by scholars to have been an early christian creed that pre-dates the Gospels, so we know that the early church believed in the crucifixion and the resurrection of Christ.

Furthermore, I fell in love with the Gospel message. I knew that I had committed countless sins, so if I were to approach God on Judgment Day with nothing but my own merits, I would be toast. The fact that God cares enough about me to take on the wrath of God that I deserved, that is the most amazing fact ever. It’s the greatest act of love the world has ever known.

Last edited:
As the song says, I’m on the right track baby, I was born this way.

Like others I was born and raised Catholic, baptised a couple weeks after my birth, and can’t remember a time when God in his Three Persons, Mother Mary, St. Joseph, and many other saints weren’t a part of my daily life.

Last edited:
Although my family was never conventionally religious, I was exposed to Christianity frequently and from early on growing up in Britain in the 80s and 90s. My father was baptised as an Anglican but has never practised and has rarely set foot inside a church. My mother used to profess to be a Christian, although I never knew her to belong to a church. She attended various Protestant churches long before I existed and almost became a Catholic at one point. She has some odd ideas about religion and morality.

At school, we used to have assemblies at which we sang hymns and said prayers, and we would have occasional religious talks by the local priest. At secondary school, we had a visit from the Gideons, and we were all given a New Testament and Psalms. We also had a visit from Vijay Menon, a famous evangelist in the UK. We have compulsory religious education, and I also chose religious studies for GCSE and Christian theology for A-level. At university, we had a college chapel and a chaplain, as well as a university church, although I didn’t attend either with any regularity.

However, any interest that I may have had in Christianity remained dormant for some years. In my 30s, I had difficulty conceiving and also had several miscarriages in the second trimester, which I found quite traumatic, and I found myself feeling quite depressed and hopeless and bad that I was possibly going to be unable to provide my husband with a child.

Just before Christmas last year, I was with a very good friend of mine who is a Baptist (very much a practising one), and I told her just how unhappy I was about all of this. She said that she knew that I was not a Christian, but that she felt very strongly that she ought to pray for me there and then if I would allow her to. After praying for some specific things, she finished with a slightly adapted version of Philippians 4:7 and Numbers 6:23–27. I can only say that for the first time in months, I felt an indescribable sense of peace. I am also now pregnant again and assured that I can afford to be confident at this stage. I don’t know whether this is an actual miracle, but it seems like one to me.

After that experience at Christmas last year, I decided to read the New Testament from start to finish. What really struck me was the compelling personality of Jesus. I found myself deeply impressed by the wisdom and humanity of his moral teachings and way of life. I also began to appreciate for the first time the real meaning of the salvation that he offers us. As I have said elsewhere, I am not one of those people who is able to say exactly when and where I became a Christian, but over the past couple of months I have come to accept that what really started last Christmas was a gradual process of conversion. My friend was incredibly happy, but seemingly not entirely surprised, when I tentatively told her over a Zoom meeting that I thought I had actually become a Christian.

Of course, I still have much to learn and a long journey ahead of me. When things get back to normal, I want to join a church, and I would love to be baptised. For now, I am happy to have got to know Jesus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back