Why do Christians fornicate?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Carlj1497
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Carlj1497

Guest
I just don’t get it. I have asked many Christians why they believe it’s okay, and they say “Well, it’s not that bad, is it? No ones getting hurt”. You could say the same thing about homosexuality and polygamy. They’re against that stuff, but when it comes to stuff they want to do, they’ve always got an excuse. An Atheist put it good when he said that most Christians act like they’re at a cafeteria. They pick and choose which rules and laws they want to obey, and disregard the rest. I’ve even asked many Christian girls if they planned on waiting and they all said “Yes. Fornication is so wrong.” Every single one of them fornicated. And they don’t feel bad about it now.
 
I think many folks have a tendency to bargain with themselves and God when they want to sin. I used to fornicate, before my conversion. It was fun, it felt good, it appeared (on the surface) to strengthen the relationships I was in. None of that makes it right but I can easily see why people do it. Even in my last relationship, there were most definitely times when myself and the woman I was dating were very tempted to have sex. We were both sexually active in the past and the temptation is very real, despite the sadness, regret and additional possible consequences which can follow that behavior. Another thing to consider is that many folks identify themselves as Christians but they may have more of a cultural faith and cultural understanding of how that faith “works” itself into their existence. Perhaps someone feels an absence of God’s love in their life so they seek out counterfeit feelings of love through intimacy with another person. Young women are often duped into sexual intimacy with a partner so they can feel loved. There are just so many reasons why people make these decisions. It doesn’t make them wretched people, it makes them human people who need grace and forgiveness very, very badly. It is best to encourage these folks (and ourselves) that the human person is of infinite value. Yes we are called to admonish the sinner, but there are appropriate ways to do this that may vary by person. People are worth waiting for, most especially when a great pleasure and spiritually elevated experience can occur in the right circumstances with properly ordered intentions.

I think the great thing about current theological thought within the Catholic Church is that Blessed John Paul II’s teachings of what is commonly refereed to as the Theology of the Body have made what seems to be a genuine and lasing impact on many people. These teachings can empower folks to turn from sin and turn toward love of self and others.

Pray for those you see making these mistakes.
 
Because we’re human.
Precisely. Why do any of us commit any sin? Because we are imperfect, fallen creatures with free will. I personally never engaged in this particular sin but certainly have committed many other serious sins and some of them of a sexual nature. I knew it was wrong and I did it anyway. That makes me a human being.
 
Sexuality is such a huge part of us. We are sexually driven in many ways, getting a handle on it, especially during the pubecent years is a major undertaking.

St. Paul said it best, “what I want to do I don’t do” …who will save me from this body of death?"
 
Most Christians nowadays don’t learn that it’s wrong to fornicate. They are taught that it would be best to save it for marriage, but if you love someone outside of marriage, then it’s okay. The problem is that most people (especially young people) think that an attraction is love. Sadly, this Atheist you mentioned is right. Many Christians just do what they want, no matter what the Bible has to say about it.
 
I am tempted to this; good thing I am DETERMINED not to, and work hard to avoid the near occasion of sin with the man I love. And we share the same values, and when we flirt with it too much, we go to confession, which we do not want to abuse. Because we share this faith. But the temptation is SO strong when you love someone and when you are drawn to each other. And its an expression of love, so its tempting to justify it that way. I cannot believe I found the thought crossing my mind that these rules are for younger people, not folks with grown or almost grown children, and we are in love. :eek: I just remind myself that on my wedding day I do not want to be ashamed…
 
Yes, it would be wonderful to read, Theology of the body together. It will strengthen your resolve. If you are clear that you should marry, don’t wait long. The marriage is what counts, not the ceremony. God Bless you both! What a rare find, to connect with someone who truely lives the faith!

I believe sex outside of marriage is only masterbation. Using some one, exchanging stds, crisis pregnancies, abortion, frequent breakups, hook ups, is the opposite of love. The constant practice of selfishness renders them incapable of life long commitment.

Love is willing to sacrifice, and put the needs of their loved ones before their own desires. Doing what’s best for another, is so deeply respectful, it fuels love. Chastity is a powerful form of love, both before, and after marriage. The courtship phase is when two people, emtionally discover each other & bond. The marriage then reflects their inner bond, and commitment. true love, sacrifice, & respect will fuel their love indefinitely!
 
Most of the people I know did so because they were getting married, or were very certain of engagement, anyway.
 
Because it feels good. It makes you feel special, wanted. Because everyone else is doing it. Because you were abused and this is how you’ve been conditioned to behave in a relationship. Because of poor catechesis. Because you get caught up in the heat of the moment, etc., etc.

I don’t think you can pin it down to a single reason. If you talk to a lot of people nowadays they’ll tell you it’s impossible to not have sex outside of marriage. I have one friend who belongs to a somewhat evangelical church. Although he’d deny it, he makes it clear through a lot of what he says on Facebook that he’s very anti-Catholic. He went on a tirade a couple months back about the folly of abstinence and how churches who teach that aren’t in touch with real world. He went on to talk about how many women he slept with before he was married, even when he was dating and engaged to his wife, and how he’s cheated on her a couple times, although not since coming to this church. He put that out there as a shining example of how, even for a Christian as strong and devout as himself, monogamy and abstinence aren’t possible or even realistic. When I pointed out that I waited until I was married, he called me a liar and said I was just trying to spread Catholic propaganda. 🤷

With shining beacons like that, it’s easy to see why a lot of Christians think it’s okay.
 
I just don’t get it…
I’ll keep this short: Unless you just landed from some foreign solar system, I don’t believe you.
If you’re really confused, though, look in the mirror. There is a good reason that the Lord felt very safe in saying, “Let the one among you who is without sin be the first to throw a stone at her.” Yet these were the people who moments before had felt very free to drag someone else out for judgment…previous to being asked to examine themselves, they apparently did not feel too bad about the sins they’d allowed themselves, either.
 
Two thoughts:

-At least in America, our popular culture permits and celebrates it. It seems the more common milestone in mainstream/secular relationships is when a couple “move in” together than than get engaged.

-When people do marry it is often later in life than in the past.

Neither are an excuse, but as previous posters have said we are human and rely on God’s mercy and the grace not to re-offend if we fail.
 
Most of the people I know did so because they were getting married, or were very certain of engagement, anyway.
Maybe their bible says, “The wages of sin is death… unless maybe, there could be, possibly, kinda, sorta be a wedding in the next couple of decades or so…” It’s probably a modern translation;)
 
:rolleyes: the really sad thing is that if you do manage to save yourself for marriage - very few people choose to believe you anyway! After all, if one human being can manage it - that suggests the rest who purport to be Christians might have been able to with a bit more willpower too.

My boyfriend and I find it incredibly hard sometimes - him more than me, I suspect! My strategy is to have started to go to Confession again (after much too long a break) because the thought of telling a man who has taken a vow of cellibacy to help him help get people like me to Heaven that I’d had sex is shaming enough to keep me on the straight and narrow 🙂 I also visit here a lot, so I feel less of a freak and more like ‘one of the gang’.

As a human being, I can’t promise we won’t - only that we will try our absolute hardest not to. We both see it as an expression of love and respect for one another and it has made us think more clearly about discerning marraige (although we often joke:"let’s just get married tomorrow!!!)

I think everyone has their own strategy of ‘coping’. Ours is actually not to restrain from showing affection with lot sof hugs and kisses and cuddles. We are both well past being teenagers and having been single for longer than either of us care to remember and having lives where we’ve just had to exercise self control and personal sacrifice - we are well used to not getting our own way some of the time and just accepting what we can’t change (i.e. The Rules)

I think the modern Church has a sort of ‘shutting the door after the horse has bolted’ kind of approach to sex and relationships! Throughout school and college, nobody mentioned the Theology of the Body, and the definition of ‘respect’ usually had the word ‘condom’ somewhere in it 😉 as far as the media was concerned. It’s great and amazing that we have the sacrament of Reconcilliation and couples who have had sex are still offered Marriage - but in 40 years of attening Mass (okay, maybe 35 of actually understanding what was going on…and about 30 of actually knowing what sex was…) I have never once heard a priest actually give a sermon that defines ‘fornication’

I was in my late 20s before I realised that any sex outside marriage was adultery. I never tried it (more from lack of self esteem in my 20s than religious conviction!) but I honestly thought having sex with someone if you were both unmarried was ‘less wrong’ than having sex with somene else’s husband. I also had no idea masturbation was wrong (I mean, Judy Blume wrote about it in Deenie :thumbsup:so it must be okay?!!!)

I wasn’t a cafeteria Catholic - because I didn’t even get to read the full menu!

My ‘moment of mental clarity’ came in a horrible way. I witnessed the misery that comes to a person when he makes his choice of wife fuelled by lust; moves in with her before the wedding and then realises he’s trapped. I was brought up with all these daft feminist notions about how men and women are the same and we’re not! When it comes to sex - woman have the power because we have the right to say ‘no’. That’s nature. The males are bright and gaudy and show off and try, try, try to get it on :rolleyes: but it’s up to the female to choose if and when she’s up for it.

Once I got that into my head, I learned to respect men and treat them with respect - instead of being the insecure little tease I was in my twenties, because I thought you could push a man as hard as you liked - just for one’s own amusement. Not pretty - but I was reading too much Cosmo and not enoug catechism and after all - I never had full intercourse (and that’s the only bit of theology I knew, despite going to Mass every Sunday) so no harm done - right?!!!
 
Probably because sex, especially with someone you’re in love with, feels really, really good.

Or at least so I’m told.
 
Maybe their bible says, “The wages of sin is death… unless maybe, there could be, possibly, kinda, sorta be a wedding in the next couple of decades or so…” It’s probably a modern translation;)
We can joke about it but I really do think as the wedding gets closer the temptation grows stronger and people just take it for granted. Temptation to have sex was never really a problem for me…until that last weekend. I can’t imagine spending an entire relationship feeling like that.
 
Because they are fallen human beings in need of a Savior. Much like you and me.

Another question I often wonder about is “Why does it make me feel better to vent about those blantantly committing sins that I’m not? I wonder how I’d feel if somebody found out about the sins I constantly struggle with and claimed that THAT was the headliner sin that must be rooted out above all others?” 😉
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top