Why do i always feel so guilty?

• Thread starter Thread starter sarcophagus
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sarcophagus

I’ve posted this a few times. Everytime I call in sick for work I feel sooo overwhelming guilty and feel like I’ve exaggerated my illness to get the day off. Physically this isn’t this case but mentally and i don’t know why. I’ve worked nearly 2 months with 2 days off. Today was supposed to be my 3rd day off but they booked me in cause someone quit and needed the shift covered. I woke up feeling like I got hit by a truck and called in. They weren’t mean about it or anything like that but I can’t help but feel like I broke the commitment i made when I said I would be there for all my scheduled shifts. It’s not a guilt towards my job, but a guilt that I have sinned, like God is disappointed. I believe this is called scrupulosity???

Does anybody else deal with stuff like this??

Thanks

Your problem is you see everything as being equally bad, which leads to scrupulosity. You have to learn to put things into perspective–so you can decide what is truly bad and what isn’t.

You should read up on venial and mortal sin–what they are and what they aren’t. And then, don’t diagnosis yourself, but take your concerns to your confessor.

40.png
sarcophagus:
I believe this is called scrupulosity???

Does anybody else deal with stuff like this??
I think you are overanylizing this a bit. I used to be like that…before I had kids. Just like you shouldn’t go to Mass if you are sick and could get others sick (coughing, snot,), you shouldn’t go to work if you are sick. Listen to your body, you may be sorry if you don’t – and you could get really sick!
I guess after I would feel like this when something would happen where I might feel like I was going to dissappoint someone. After kids I realized its not all about me! When you start feeling this way, maybe a conversation with God like I do. I say, “Okay-- I get it! Its not about me! The world doesn’t revolve around me and I will do everyone a lot more good if I take care of myself. The world will go on today without me!”

Thanks guys…that helped a lot. I’ve been doing this for 3 years now and still feel so new…

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back