Why do we get Rosaries and medals Blessed?

• Thread starter Thread starter dizzy_dave
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dizzy_dave

Why would we as Catholics have objects such as Rosaries, medals, pictures, etc. blessed? I mean since the objects have no power then why is it done? I don’t quite understand the concept of why this is done.

Dave,
It could be for the following reasons:

For protection against the evil one and his dark angels…

For graces to be bestowed upon someone using them…

I’m just grabbing these ideas out of thin air.
I guess it is like having your home blessed each year (a tradion inthe Byzantine Catholic Rutherian Rite).

go with God!
Edwin

A blessing is a grace. A priest give the blessing at the end of Mass to all with the instructions to go forth and live the Gospel. His blessing “empowers” us to do our job better.

A father can (and should) bless his children, “empowering” them to fullfill their vocation as an obedient child.

Blessing an object (rosary, medal) etc is an outward sign demonstrating the real significance of that object. In a way, it “empowers” that object to do what it is meant to do.

All blessings are Christ-centered…and thus “empower” the person or object to do what they are meant to do. Without exception, everything we do should be Christ-centered. Thus the blessing includes the sign of the Cross and the invocation of the Trinity.

Mr S

Some good answers. I really enjoy blessing religious objects. At our Ordination, the bishop took the hands of the candidates into his own hands, so in a sense we are passing on the blessing. Blessing articles allows me to say a little private prayer with members of my community. I always make the blessing personal and try to relate them to the person and their family.

May God bless you,
Deacon Tony SFO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back