Why do we give ashes to children?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Batfink
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Batfink

Guest
There must be something I’m not getting here, but every year it reminds me to ask so now I’ve actually got around to it. I feel stupid if I’m missing something obvious, but…:confused:

Clearly, children under the age of reason have no personal sin to repent of.
Children who have been baptised are washed of original sin.
So they’re apparently not receiving ashes as a mark of repentance for anything they’ve done.

It might be a gesture of solidarity with their sinner brother and sisters (in the wider sense rather than just their relatives), but that seems as though it would go over the heads of most young children. I can’t imagine trying to explain it to any of the toddlers in our family.

I can’t really think of any other reason, other than non-theological things like trying to include them in family devotions as early as possible so that they are brought up in the faith. That can’t be the only reasoning though - I mean, we don’t let children partake of sacraments for which they are not ready, would we encourage them to take sacramentals which are inappropriate to their situation?

Like I say, I’m just interested. Maybe I’m completely missing the point, wouldn’t be the first time!
 
Why do you think so many non practicing Catholics show up for Ash Wednesday?

Cuz we remember our childhood, coming back laughing at the marks on our sibling’s foreheads.

Where else can a kid go to get dirt smeared on his/her head by an adult!
 
The reminder to repent is more pronounced if you both experience it yourself and see the mark on others. Children and their innocence is a good reminder of who may be harmed by the sins we commit.
 
And it is a reminder that we will all return to dust…some will still be children when they return to dust.
 
Children can still learn from their mistakes and grow in holiness, even if they are below the age of reason (age 7). Kids 4 and younger are pretty little, but 5- and 6-year-olds can learn a lot from Lent, can decide to give something up (even decide to start listening better, eat their vegetables, keep room clean, etc.), and practice for when they start receiving Communion and do have personal sins and have to go to Confession.
 
Clearly, children under the age of reason have no personal sin to repent of.
Children who have been baptised are washed of original sin.
So they’re apparently not receiving ashes as a mark of repentance for anything they’ve done.
And it is a reminder that we will all return to dust…some will still be children when they return to dust.
To elaborate further on Catholic90’s response, the ashes associated with Ash Wednesday symbolize not only repentance but also our mortality, and the two are related. When Adam and Eve chose to sin, they lost their primordial gift of immortality. In light of this, God pronounced, “You are dust and to dust you shall return.” Ashes have been associated with dust in this context throughout Judeo-Christian history. For example, Abraham once exclaimed, “I am but dust and ashes.”

Because of Original Sin, we are born lacking the same gift of immortality that Adam and Eve lost. Therefore, we are mortal. Although Baptism washes us from the guilt of Original Sin, the effects of Original Sin still remain. Namely, we are still susceptible to temptation and one day we will experience an earthly death. With all this in mind, children who have yet to attain the age of reason may be adorned with ashes on Ash Wednesday even if it is after their baptism. Although they are not culpable of sin, they are nonetheless mortal as a consequence of Original Sin.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top