Why God permits distrations during prayer

  • Thread starter Thread starter Eucharisted
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
E

Eucharisted

Guest
He permits us to be attacked by distrations during prayer so that we may learn patence and so that our prayers may have greater value. Just as a heroic act has more value when the hero must overcome obstacles than when the hero simply performs the act, so too dose prayer have more value among distrations than among peace, and so too dose the soul have a closer union to Jesus in suffering than in peace, though both are a share in His Mysteries.
 
I have a suggestion, for your consideration; I have started offering all those mental distractions during prayer, to Jesus… in union with His Crown of Thorns. Perhaps, in this way… we can offer this specific type of difficulty to Our Lord for the good of those who <for one reason, or another>… do not pray at all.

Just an idea. God bless.
 
Not all distractions in prayers are just mere distractions. Sometimes they act as “flags” inviting us to focus our attention to what it is that keep surfacing during prayer. It could be a temptation that keeps surfacing but was not fully dealt with. If we keep ignoring it we may be missing a very good opportunity to grow in self-knowledge. Distractions during prayer can also be clues to us that our lives may be cluttered and we may need to find more time to unwind and engage in some relaxing activities. No matter what the distraction is, it often times tells us a lot more about ourselves than we would want to accept. Distractions are not always from the devil. It is wise to start looking at it from our side of the fence before we conclude otherwise. A good spiritual director can be of much help in this also.
 
Distractions during prayer can also be clues to us that our lives may be cluttered and we may need to find more time to unwind and engage in some relaxing activities.
Hi Sr. Helena. Good to “see” you again. Your words have shed light for me, on a frequent distraction that I have during prayer. And that is my sweet mother. Not that she is “clutter” :o but I worry about her a lot, while we’re apart <prayer time, over night… etc.>.

My dilemma is that I’m “sole” caregiver. No other family or friends available to help out. Any tips to address this type of distraction… when someone isn’t able to unwind, or relax?

Thanks and God bless.
 
Hello MarieVeronica:) Without pretending to be an expert in spiritual direction, I’d like to address your question in a manner of sharing insights between friends and influenced by my Carmelite background.
Being the “sole” caretaker of your mom definitely places the bulk of responsibility on you. Your “distraction” seems to be colored by an unnamed anxiety or fear. Ask yourself as I would if it was me: If God calls my mother now, am I ready to let go? Am I holding on to her too much that she is becoming “me.” Do I make myself the only one responsible for my mom? What about God? Doesn’t he care about her too? Isn’t her future in his hands? If the answer is yes to any of these questions, what do I do?
I’d say when you think of her during prayer, don’t dismiss it. Bring it to prayer. Talk to God about it. Surrender whatever agenda you have to pray about that minute and talk to God about your mom instead. Allow time to listen to whatever emotion is evoked. Emotions do not define you but they can be powerful tools to point us to a particular direction. Don’t be afraid to own your fears, your frustrations, your anxieties, anger (maybe over limited options in life?), or whatever it may be. Own them, offer them to God as your living sacrifice and your cross in life. I find that befriending your shadows can make your prayer life more free and uninhibited.
Take this for whatever it is worth.
Your sister in Carmel.
 
I also believe that distractions in prayer are caused by not disposing ourselves well to prayer. For example, what were we doing before coming to prayer? Did we just come out of TV time or any other preoccupations? Did I quiet myself before the Lord? Did I feed my mind with spiritual reading? What was I doing just before prayer time?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top