Why is funeral not a sacrament?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Thomasbradley312
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
So what would the purpose of holy water on a deceased person be if it has no effect?
From my link in post #10 What Every Catholic Needs to Know About Funerals , we read “The casket is also blessed with holy water, another reminder of the person’s baptism, the day they were first given the promise of eternal life.” So we hope for God’s mercy and the departed soul if not in Heaven, is in purgatory on their way to eternal life in Heaven with God and all His Saints.
And priests also do this at cemeteries
At the time of the funeral, it is my understanding this is done to bless the grave, especially if the burial is not in consecrated ground.
 
Of course! I was replying to the thread in general. I don’t know if I replied to you by error.
 
🤣

I just assumed your comment (“I am a little annoyed by people distinguishing between living and ‘dead’”), was to me because 8 comments above yours is mine in which I mentioned there are Sacraments of the living and the dead.

Thank you for your post and clarification!
 
The last rights for a person who is dying are a sacrament.
And we ask for our family and friends to pray for us after our death.
Pray to St. Gertrude or others, in case our soul is in purgatory.
 
There aren’t any Sacraments for the dead. You have to be living to receive any of the 7 Sacraments.

Having Masses offered for the departed, obtaining indulgences for them and offering it for them/asking God to apply it to a particular soul if we wish, and praying for them are all that we can do for others once they’ve died.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top