Why is Wisdom 8:7 in the feminine?

  • Thread starter Thread starter fish90
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

fish90

Guest
I was reading Pope Benedict’s The Virtues and I came across a scripture passage, so I referenced it. The pronoun used is “she.” I am curious if the author is “she” is used to abstract nouns (virtue), or does “she” have a feminine antecedent?

Best,
fish90
 
Because Wisdom was displayed as a woman in Hebrew first, and is likely related to the female “part” attribute of God.

Proverbs 8
Wisdom’s Call

1 Does not wisdom call out?
Does not understanding raise her voice?
2 At the highest point along the way,
where the paths meet, she takes her stand;
3 beside the gate leading into the city,
at the entrance, she cries aloud:
4 “To you, O people, I call out;
I raise my voice to all mankind.
5 You who are simple, gain prudence;
you who are foolish, set your hearts on it.[a]
6 Listen, for I have trustworthy things to say;
I open my lips to speak what is right.
7 My mouth speaks what is true,
for my lips detest wickedness.
8 All the words of my mouth are just;
none of them is crooked or perverse.
9 To the discerning all of them are right;
they are upright to those who have found knowledge.
10 Choose my instruction instead of silver,
knowledge rather than choice gold,
11 for wisdom is more precious than rubies,
and nothing you desire can compare with her.
12 “I, wisdom, dwell together with prudence;
I possess knowledge and discretion.
13 To fear the LORD is to hate evil;
I hate pride and arrogance,
evil behavior and perverse speech.
14 Counsel and sound judgment are mine;
I have insight, I have power.
15 By me kings reign
and rulers issue decrees that are just;
16 by me princes govern,
and nobles—all who rule on earth.**
17 I love those who love me,
and those who seek me find me.
18 With me are riches and honor,
enduring wealth and prosperity.
19 My fruit is better than fine gold;
what I yield surpasses choice silver.
20 I walk in the way of righteousness,
along the paths of justice,
21 bestowing a rich inheritance on those who love me
and making their treasuries full.

22 “The LORD brought me forth as the first of his works,[c][d]
before his deeds of old;
23 I was formed long ages ago,
at the very beginning, when the world came to be.
24 When there were no watery depths, I was given birth,
when there were no springs overflowing with water;
25 before the mountains were settled in place,
before the hills, I was given birth,
26 before he made the world or its fields
or any of the dust of the earth.
27 I was there when he set the heavens in place,
when he marked out the horizon on the face of the deep,
28 when he established the clouds above
and fixed securely the fountains of the deep,
29 when he gave the sea its boundary
so the waters would not overstep his command,
and when he marked out the foundations of the earth.
30 Then I was constantly[e] at his side.
I was filled with delight day after day,
rejoicing always in his presence,
31 rejoicing in his whole world
and delighting in mankind.

32 “Now then, my children, listen to me;
blessed are those who keep my ways.
33 Listen to my instruction and be wise;
do not disregard it.
34 Blessed are those who listen to me,
watching daily at my doors,
waiting at my doorway.
35 For those who find me find life
and receive favor from the LORD.
36 But those who fail to find me harm themselves;
all who hate me love death.”**
 
Wisdom in Greek is Sophia, which is a feminine name.
As is sapientia in Latin. However, what’s considered feminine in Greek or Latin isn’t necessarily feminine in English but there seems to be a relationship.

We do tend to give feminine pronouns relating to the Church, ocean liners, and such. Could be for the reason you suggested or (and please don’t read this the wrong way) it could be from Greek Mythology which humanized/deitized a lot of human traits (example, Cupid).
 
Perhaps because, in the presence of The Father, who is the Most High… the Most Masculine, one might say… ~The~ “Alpha Male”, so to speak… All else seems Feminine, in comparison…

“Submissive” is, I think, another word that can be applied in the sense that we are ~all~ subject to God, along with ~everything~ that comes from, and out of, Him.

Just a thought…

~V~
 
In the language of sensus plenior, the female represents those who do not see clearly. It has nothing to do with gender.

In the mysteries, Jesus in the flesh is represented as being female because he put off his deity to be found in the form of man. He did not cease to be God, but chose not to use his omniscience, omnipresence, omnipotence, etc.

So in many of the stories, he is represented by the daughter and/or wife, just as in other stories he is represented by the son, and/or father.

Japheth and his daughter both represent Christ. So, Christ in the flesh did not see clearly. Certainly more clearly than we, but considerably less so than prior to the incarnation and kenosis.

The stories where he is represented by females does not contradict those where he is represented by males, any more so than he is the only begotten son, the unbegotten only son, the first fruits and the second son.

Each representation speaks of a different aspect of Christ, when all merged give us the full picture. They should not be used to attempt to contradict one another.

A feminine wisdom suggests the wisdom of Christ in the flesh and would be a guide to him to live in the flesh, as well as for us. Ecclesiastes is the divine representation of earthly wisdom, whereas Wisdom is the earthly representation of Divine wisdom.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top