Why isn't breaking the greatest commandment a mortal sin?

• Thread starter Thread starter sabrinaofmn
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sabrinaofmn

The greatest commandment is to love God with all over our heart, soul and mind. Wouldn’t the breaking of that commandment be the most serious sin? Why then, is this not included in the list of mortal sins?

It is a mortal sin. Anyone who is not Catholic commits this sin, for he does not love God truly, as the Council of Trent states (“in the Catholic Church ALONE can there be found true sacrifice and true worship that can be AT ALL acceptable to God,” form Article IX of the Creed; “I believe in the Holy Catholic Church”). Vatican I echoes this, stating that without the Catholic Faith it is impossible to please God. That is what is meant by the “greatest Commandment.” God bless.

sabrinaofmn,

The Church does consider breaking the greatest commandment (which is a summary of the first three Commandments) as grave matter. The Catechism lists many sins against loving God under the first three commandments.

I had a Protestant use this line on me once, he said that no one keeps this commandment, no one loves God totally with their whole mind, heart, soul, strength, therefore we are all sinners, and sins cannot keep us out of Heaven…Becasue all of us are breaking the greatest commandment there is…

Would someone please respond…How would you have answered this Protestant. (It sort of threw me for a loop)

Thanks

40.png
Buckeyejoe:
I had a Protestant use this line on me once, he said that no one keeps this commandment, no one loves God totally with their whole mind, heart, soul, strength, therefore we are all sinners, and sins cannot keep us out of Heaven…Becasue all of us are breaking the greatest commandment there is…

Would someone please respond…How would you have answered this Protestant. (It sort of threw me for a loop)

Thanks
First - I’m not sure that because most of us don’t spend every second of every day working for or thinking of God that we’re automatically breaking this commandment.

Second - he’s tying in the saved by faith alone argument with “… sins cannot keep us out of Heaven…” line. Our Catholic faith teaches us that mortal sins are so serious as to reverse the course of our lives, turn us from God, and change our fundamental direction to sin and death. They cut us off from God’s love

In Galations 5:19-21, an incomplete list of serious (mortal) sins are presented by Paul, and he comments also that “those who do such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.”

HW

40.png
sabrinaofmn:
The greatest commandment is to love God with all over our heart, soul and mind. Wouldn’t the breaking of that commandment be the most serious sin? Why then, is this not included in the list of mortal sins?
I am feeling like I am missing something here. Every time we commit a mortal sin (deliberately) we are saying that there is something out there we love more than God.

If we deliberately miss Mass - for whatever reason - this means we have preferred something before God.

If we decide to steal something, this means we love riches more than God.

etc. etc.

To consciencely commit sin means we do not love God (enough)

Did I not understand what you mean?

40.png
Mandi:
I am feeling like I am missing something here. Every time we commit a mortal sin (deliberately) we are saying that there is something out there we love more than God.

If we deliberately miss Mass - for whatever reason - this means we have preferred something before God.

If we decide to steal something, this means we love riches more than God.

etc. etc.

To consciencely commit sin means we do not love God (enough)

Did I not understand what you mean?
I think you have it exactly right. The greatest commandment, told to us by Jesus Himself, and the second that is like it, (love your neighbor as yourself) are what everything, the law and the prophets, hang on.

If you think about it, those two are a complete summation of what God expects from a Christian. And that is what we are working toward, and what we will be judged on in the end.

And, of course, if when we detect in ourselves any slackness in following either of those two commandments we can go to confession.

It’s a great process if you ask me. Suited exactly to what God knows we are, sinners working at perfection, trying to be like Jesus.

Like you, I don’t see a problem here. Maybe I’m missing it too.

I wasnt aware that there even was a list of mortal sins, what list are you referring to?

Thanks for everyone’s (name removed by moderator)ut to my off-shoot question.

Sometimes the way a Protestsant rephrases a question throws you off balance.

To love God is to put Him first, in all decisions, so as not to commit mortal sin or even venial sin (I guess) But it is not as the non Catholic was insinuating that if we fall short even for one moment not loving God with our whole mind, heart, soul, …etc. we have broken the greatest commandment.

Thanks

Would someone please respond…How would you have answered this Protestant
I can think of one Catholic who obeyed the greatest commandment to the nth degree.

Joan of Arc left her family and village without saying goodby to obey God’s call to save France. She knew she wouldn’t come back. “It was always said to me it was necessary that I be captured.” Here, the word necessary means it’s in the future and therefore cannot be change. To be captured could only mean death. When she met the King of France she said: “I shall last a year, hardly longer, and it is necessary to work mightily in that year.”

Joan knew she was giving her life away in obeying God’s call, but she did it anyway.

She went to Mass whenever possible and got her soldiers to do the same.

During the trial that she knew would condemn her, she said, “I know not if I will have greater sufferings to bear, but I trust in God.”

An investigation into her character conducted 25 years after her death contained sworn testimony of 115 people, all that could be found still alive who had known Joan from her early childhood to her death, including her enemies. No flaw could be found in her character during her entire life. There was not one word that she ever lifted a finger to do anything for herself. Rather, everything she did was for the glory of God.

40.png
Buckeyejoe:

Thanks
Is not one of the prerequisites for a Mortal Sin “sufficient reflection”? Therefore, most of the time when we sin, we didn’t "reflect’ on the act per se, but succumbed to our weak human nature.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back