L
lotusblossom
Guest
Not wanting to hijack the “Who Can Call Themselves Catholic” thread, I’ve had a thought floating through my mind for about two weeks now. My husband and I went to visit a friend of his, and we got into the conversation about how today we distinguish between a “conservative Catholic” vs a “liberal Catholic,” when really there is no such thing. So, this leads to my question…
Why don’t people who do not agree with the Church leave? I know there are many who leave the Catholic Church, but I think most do because of misunderstanding or because of people in the Church, not the Church itself. But what about those who are calling for “reform” such as women priests, accepted contraception, and homosexual marriage?
It’s one thing to question your faith or to not necessarily agree but to really research it, but it’s another to publicly claim certain things not in line with Catholic teaching and stay in the Church and try to work towards changing these 2000 yr old teachings. To me, it seems that one could go out and find a church that “fit” with their views or even start their own. Are there certain things keeping them in the Church or do they just want to bring down what has been standing strong for so long?
I am really curious to hear your opinions.
Why don’t people who do not agree with the Church leave? I know there are many who leave the Catholic Church, but I think most do because of misunderstanding or because of people in the Church, not the Church itself. But what about those who are calling for “reform” such as women priests, accepted contraception, and homosexual marriage?
It’s one thing to question your faith or to not necessarily agree but to really research it, but it’s another to publicly claim certain things not in line with Catholic teaching and stay in the Church and try to work towards changing these 2000 yr old teachings. To me, it seems that one could go out and find a church that “fit” with their views or even start their own. Are there certain things keeping them in the Church or do they just want to bring down what has been standing strong for so long?
I am really curious to hear your opinions.