"Why should I let you into heaven?"

  • Thread starter Thread starter Lifeisawesome
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Because I have been in purgatory for so long, just waiting to spend eternity with you! I have longed for You my entire human existence and now through all of Purgatory. I want to praise you for ever and ever and to be finally complete, Dear God!
 
Of course it doesn’t say this will happen in the bible. I never made the claim that it was, is, or should be. So, what is my purpose in asking the question?

Make sense?
Yes you make sense. The purpose to my response is to give answer to a real question that does get asked. It is part and parcel of many Fundamentalist’s spiel. I only wanted to point our for those that get this question for real that there is a flaw in it, namely, it is only hypothetical and not real.
 
If you died today, and God asked you this question, what would your answer be?
The not so serious answer: 'Cuz I brought the beer!

The serious answer: I can only hope that when I finally meet the source of Goodness and Truth in the Universe, that I can only accept Him/Her/It as He/She/It is, rather than how I want Him/Her/It to be.
 
Yes you make sense. The purpose to my response is to give answer to a real question that does get asked. It is part and parcel of many Fundamentalist’s spiel. I only wanted to point our for those that get this question for real that there is a flaw in it, namely, it is only hypothetical and not real.
Ah - yes, I understand. I am a convert. It is a good question to be asked because we can answer - “by the work of Christ alone” or some such statement. Why, because though Catholics believe that we do participate in our redemption, we do so only by the grace and ability that comes through Christ’s redemption. This is an easy way to open a good dialogue. The challenge comes when they hear something that sounds like a works based salvation (as the with the pharisees). Instead, we can explain that yes we do work, but that work is within the context of covenant, not contract.
 
“…within the context of a covenant, not a contract” - I think I like that expression but would appreciate a fuller explanation of what you mean lest I misunderstand.

Thanks.

NCSue
acts17verse28.blogspot.com/
 
“…within the context of a covenant, not a contract” - I think I like that expression but would appreciate a fuller explanation of what you mean lest I misunderstand.

Thanks.

NCSue
acts17verse28.blogspot.com/
The following analogy, like all analogies break down. At a very high level, it looks like this…

An example of a contractual works relationship: I am your gardner. We agree that I will mow your lawn once a week for $40. I mow your lawn and then expect payment. You pay. This is similar to a Catholic who may believe that their just due from God is heaven because of this or similar thinking (more good works than bad on the scale of things).

**A covenantal works relationship: ** I am your friend. You are on vacation. Your lawn begins to deteriorate. Out of love for you, I clean it up for you. I expect no payment because my works are on the basis of love (This a grace based relationship. My love for you drives me to work on your behalf and to your benefit without expectation in return. In the case of our relationship with Christ, we know that the highest order of motivation for work is love.)

One Catholic apologist calls the two categories 1) works in a system of grace, and 2) work in a system of law.

Does that help?
 
Absolutely. Thank you for clarifying.
I wish I could say that I operate solely out of covenant relationship. To be honest though, my motivations are far too often muddy. And God’s are always pure.

NCSue
acts17verse28.blogspot.com/
 
If you died today, and God asked you this question, what would your answer be?
falls to His feet and weeps bitterly

“My Lord, My God, You are just and Holy and know my heart better than myself. If I have offended You I beg Your forgivness my Lord, and I ask for no reward, none whatsoever. I deserve nothing. I only want to be with You, listen to You, obey You, and be distracted and depressed no longer from all the vile which my sinful nature had taken on, and my mental disorder distrupted. Judge me my God, according to Your standards. And no matter what, I love You.”

continues keeping head down, buried at His feet until addressed
 
As have I, along with “If you died today, would you be 100% sure that you would go to heaven?”
To me, saying “I’m 100% sure I’d go to heaven” is a rather arrogant thing to say - or at least it would be if I were to say it. I simply have to trust in the mercy of God and “do the next right thing” between now and then. My point is that I can’t afford to get complacent about my salvation.
 
To me, saying “I’m 100% sure I’d go to heaven” is a rather arrogant thing to say - or at least it would be if I were to say it. I simply have to trust in the mercy of God and “do the next right thing” between now and then. My point is that I can’t afford to get complacent about my salvation.
Maybe so, but the 100% assurance is the cornerstone of fundamentalist misrepresentation of the Scriptures. Its what passes for theology in their circles.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top