Will God forgive us if we do not got to confession?

• Thread starter Thread starter villaneweva
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
V

villaneweva

Will God forgive a sinner who asks for it but does not engage in the sacrament of confession? Is it different for venial and mortal sins?

Jesus established Confession as the normal way for us to receive His forgivenss (John 20:21-23). Therefore, there is a very serious obligation to go to confession to receive this forgiveness. If you are asking if it possible to receive forgiveness without going to Confession, the answer is a qualified “yes.” The answer is qualified because if a Catholic, knowing that Jesus wants us to approach Him in the sacrament of Penance to receive His forgiveness, deliberately avoids the sacrament and assumes that he is forgiven anyway, not only is he most likely not forgiven of the sin in question, but he has sinned even more by refusing the grace Christ freely offers in the Sacrament.

40.png
villaneweva:
Will God forgive a sinner who asks for it but does not engage in the sacrament of confession? Is it different for venial and mortal sins?
if you are a Catholic and you are not in danger of death, and I guess that i shoud preface it by saying if you are an INFORMED catholic then the answer is you must go to confession at least once a year during Easter…

If you are not a Catholic, then I assume what ever form of recognition of sin, and repenting of those sins that is required by your non-catholic faith will suffice… i guess… :rolleyes:

40.png
theMutant:
Jesus established Confession as the normal way for us to receive His forgivenss (John 20:21-23). Therefore, there is a very serious obligation to go to confession to receive this forgiveness. If you are asking if it possible to receive forgiveness without going to Confession, the answer is a qualified “yes.” The answer is qualified because if a Catholic, knowing that Jesus wants us to approach Him in the sacrament of Penance to receive His forgiveness, deliberately avoids the sacrament and assumes that he is forgiven anyway, not only is he most likely not forgiven of the sin in question, but he has sinned even more by refusing the grace Christ freely offers in the Sacrament.
Good response. I would add that even Protestants should not assume they are forgiven for their sins, but that goes without saying. 😉

Yes, there is a difference between mortal and venial sin in this reguard. Venial sins do not carry the same weight, so they are forgiven with a simple act of contrition or by receiving communion. Mortal sins are worse. Receiving communion in a state of mortal sin is itself a mortal sin. If the sacrament of confession is unavailable, one may make an act of perfect contrition with the intention of going to confession at the first possible opportunity. What is an act of perfect contrition? Being sorry for ones sins NOT because of a fear of hell, but because they offend God. Most of us are not at that point spiritually.

I dont want to find out if He will forgive us. Get me to a confessional!😃

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back